Quadro combo

da na
Go to solution Solved by VioDuskar,
1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Don't try to talk me out of it; I'm too far gone already. I want a second Quadro for my second monitor so my primary one isn't wasting resources (the card's not that great but I can't sacrifice my second monitor). 

My main card is a K2200, and the extra card I'm planning on buying is a K420. They're from the same series and use the same driver, but I just want to make sure it'll work like I want it to before I dump a whole $15 on a card.

Thanks!

as long as you have a 2nd PCI-e slot you can use a 2nd card for a 2nd monitor. it will work. 
you won't be able to SLI/NV-Link them. the only benefit you would get is additional monitor outputs. 

just displaying out to a monitor isn't using much resources. are you attempting to do renders with them? what do you need the "resources" for?

Don't try to talk me out of it; I'm too far gone already. I want a second Quadro for my second monitor so my primary one isn't wasting resources (the card's not that great but I can't sacrifice my second monitor). 

My main card is a K2200, and the extra card I'm planning on buying is a K420. They're from the same series and use the same driver, but I just want to make sure it'll work like I want it to before I dump a whole $15 on a card.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Thanks!

as long as you have a 2nd PCI-e slot you can use a 2nd card for a 2nd monitor. it will work. 
you won't be able to SLI/NV-Link them. the only benefit you would get is additional monitor outputs. 

just displaying out to a monitor isn't using much resources. are you attempting to do renders with them? what do you need the "resources" for?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

3 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

I do game development (which is often quite GPU-heavy) and sometimes have a YouTube video on my second monitor while doing so. Not too demanding, only like 4-10%, but still I would like the full performance of my card.

Yes, it'll work, but it's pretty much just a waste of money and power if you're just concerned with moving one monitor to the other card. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

OP, these other guys are right though. you're probably not going to see much (if any) performance improvement by moving a monitor off the primary GPU, but for 15$ it's not like you're being super wasteful.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Fun bonus is that a second card adds more cpu overhead. Also any application that starts on the first card and sees it as the only adapter will still use it even when on the other screen.

So basically you are making things worse for yourself going this way.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Fun bonus is that a second card adds more cpu overhead. Also any application that starts on the first card and sees it as the only adapter will still use it even when on the other screen.

So basically you are making things worse for yourself going this way.

I've got a 16c/32t CPU. I think I'll be fine...

16 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I've got a 16c/32t CPU. I think I'll be fine...

For the cpu overhead yes. The gpu overhead will likely not change or only get worse. Since now both cards need to pass through eachother if you move windows around on screen.