Need advice for custom keyboard

Hamster Homie

Hey, so I currently have a 30€ membrane keyboard and it really sucks typing on this and the soud is horrible and loud. I was thinking about making a custom keyboard. I documented myself a little bit and found some parts for the build that I thought were nice. Now, as for the switches, some pple say linears are better for gaming and tactiles for typing. I thought I whould get and 20 linears for all the essential gaming keys and 41 tactiles for the rest. Here are the parts I found so far :

The complete case : https://www.banggood.com/fr/Wooden-Case-Version-Geek-Customized-GK61X-GK61XS-Keyboard-Kit-RGB-Wired-bluetooth-Dual-Mode-Hot-Swappable-60-pencent-PCB-Mounting-Plate-Customized-Kit-p-1722991.html?akmClientCountry=FR&utm_source=seo&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=27175352_1449173&utm_content=1861&p=3J282027175352201811&cur_warehouse=CZ&ID=6290306

The keycaps : https://fr.banggood.com/71-Keys-Plum-Blossom-Keycap-Set-OEM-Profile-PBT-Five-sided-Sublimation-Keycaps-for-Mechanical-Keyboards-p-1835427.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy

The switches : 20 NovelKey Cream / 41 Boba U4T

What do you think about my selection and most importantly, is there any compatibility issue or anything I am missing ? 

Hey there.

27 minutes ago, Hamster Homie said:

What do you think about my selection and most importantly, is there any compatibility issue or anything I am missing ?

Compatibility looks fine between the GK61 board, NK Creams/Boba U4T switches, and keycap set.

Just note that the GK61 doesn't have an arrow cluster (hidden behind layers), and configuring keys/layers/RGB requires Jikedingzhi's software from their site. I can't seem to access Jikedingzhi's site at the moment, and am uncertain whether they've permanently taken their site down, or if it's a temp site maintenance thing. 🤔

• Edit: The Google Drive download for the GK61's software on the product page seems to work.

As for thoughts, the mix of linears and tactiles in one board strikes me a bit odd, but if that's the way you like it, then you do you. 😁

Though, the individual switches -- NovelKeys Creams and Gazzew Boba U4Ts -- should be decently satisfying. No personal experience with either of them, but they've been well-received by the community, the Bobas especially. 👍

if you're focused on your budget: I'm viewing the Banggood page from the U.S. and I'm noticing that it's listed for $112.99. Are you set on the wooden case?

If yes, then don't worry too much about the price. I think that's standard for the wooden case.

If you're open to plastic cases, though, I wager the plastic GK61 variants can be found for a lot cheaper than the wooden ones. (Example: GK61X / GK61XS from Aliexpress.)

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

53 minutes ago, Hamster Homie said:

some pple say linears are better for gaming and tactiles for typing

That's absolute nonsense.  It's what ever you prefer. My preference is just the opposite of this advice. I type with linear and game with tactile. You need to figure out what you like. 

56 minutes ago, Hamster Homie said:

The switches : 20 NovelKey Cream / 41 Boba U4T

No compatibility issues I can see. 

As far as switch I never tried the Bobas. I have creams and think they're just okay. They need to really be worn in for them to feel nice and IMO then never sound nice. They have a thin bottom out sound.  There are better linear switches for the money, there are better linear for less money also. If you have no intention of lubing switches yourself my recommendation is NK Silks as they are lubed decently already. 

Should I care more about gasket mounted and other stuff than focusing on wood for sound ? Is putting it on a mouse pad better for sound ? I really like the wooden look tho, can I "pimp" this case like gasket mounting it ? I also took the advise to not mix switches and I think ill go with full linears and will reconsider my choice of linear switches. Do I have to care about the keycaps that much for sound and smoothness ? I need to care about stem compatibility tho, don't I ?

I want my setup to be either black&white or black&light blue to match the colors of my PC/ mouse. Do you have any components you can recommend ?