Fear of psu catching fire

MattD1807

I have seen a lot of scarify incidents on here of peoples psus doing things like lighting their whole house into a bonfire. Ever since I have seen those posts I have been flipping the power switch off every night before I go to bed.  Can someone tell me if my EVGA B5 850w(overkill for what I have) is good quality. I have an r5 3600, wind force 3x 1660s 16 gigs of 3200mhz ram with decent heatspreader, b550m aorus pro, in the spec05 with an atdata 500g swordfish ssd.

Don't worry, you don't need to flip the power switch off overnight. That's a perfectly fine PSU for the system you have, and the chance that anything would happen while the computer is shut down is so tiny it's not even worth considering. Power supply failures are extremely rare, and are typically caused by cheap units from unknown companies, not from somebody like EVGA  a fairly well-reviewed unit like the B5. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

not from somebody like EVGA

This is totally wrong. EVGA has several models which have been shown to have the potential to catastrophically fail (G3, B3, W1 etc.). This is why you don't judge by brand.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Just now, Elisis said:

This is totally wrong. EVGA has several models which have been shown to have the potential to catastrophically fail (G3, B3, W1 etc.). This is why you don't judge by brand.

Fair, I should've said "not from a model like the B5". Corrected. The chance of the PSU catching fire while the system isn't on remains very low, though.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

12 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

a fairly well-reviewed unit like the B5. 

Could find me any in depth review of the B5? The only review I found was the very rudimentary review on Hexus on the B5 550W.

20 minutes ago, MattD1807 said:

Ever since I have seen those posts I have been flipping the power switch off every night before I go to bed.  

The only thing you'll achieve by doing that is potentially killing the PSU faster, as the inrush current every time you switch the PSU on will damage it over time.

Whether the PSU is good or not, that's really hard to tell, since you bought a product that doesn't have any proper reviews of it. In terms of "not likely to set the house on fire", it is probably fine, though.

:)

4 minutes ago, Skicardo YT said:

replace your psu

Why would OP need to replace their PSU? 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Could find me any in depth review of the B5? The only review I found was the very rudimentary review on Hexus on the B5 550W.

I wasn't able to find a review tearing into the internals either, but it's B tier (albeit low priority) on the PSU tier list, and sentiment from customer reviews looks pretty positive overall. It's certainly not the greatest 850W unit out there, but it's not going to catch on fire, and it can definitely handle OP's system. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

2 hours ago, bellabichon said:

I wasn't able to find a review tearing into the internals either, but it's B tier (albeit low priority) on the PSU tier list, and sentiment from customer reviews looks pretty positive overall. It's certainly not the greatest 850W unit out there, but it's not going to catch on fire, and it can definitely handle OP's system. 

So no in depth reviews or even teardowns, meaningless placement in the PSU tier list (and in the sources, only the basic Hexus review is listed), and meaningless customer reviews. So much for this.

2 hours ago, bellabichon said:

a fairly well-reviewed unit like the B5.

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

So no in depth reviews or even teardowns

That's sadly EVGA's motto in general. But we at least know that this unit is made by HEC, no info on components but it's probably not a bomb.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

21 hours ago, bellabichon said:

Out of curiosity, how does it earn B- Tier Placement without dedicated reviews? I would like to know how that position was determined

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3