Should I have -8.9 volts on a -5 volt rail

Linus No Beard
Go to solution Solved by Dedayog,
7 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

well it is the best i got even if i had a DC multi meter i dont feel safe sticking probes in random places hoping i dont short something

When he says software monitoring isn't reliable, it means ignore those results.  Meaning... there isn't anything wrong most likely.

You're chasing ghosts.  Unless there is something going on that made you check the HWInfo in the first place, but you haven't said?

i don't have a DC multi meter so i am using CPUID HWmoniter and my voltages are as such

+3.3V is 2.028

+5V is 3.347

+12V is 8.064

-12V is -8.064

-5V is -8.928

+5 VCCH is 2.843

VBAT is 1.548

Is my PSU bad or is that normal my BIOS conforms these number to be true it only shows me +5 and +12 in bios but they are similar so i trust what HWmoniter says

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Your 12V rail is 8V?
Uhh... That's bad.

What PSU do you have? I haven't seen many modern PSUs that still have the -5V rail...

a corsair vengeance 650 watt it is 1 and 1/2 years old also front USB 3 does not work on my case but i still have the cable pugged in should i remove that just to make shore that is not where the short might be

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

Software monitoring isn't reliable.

well it is the best i got even if i had a DC multi meter i dont feel safe sticking probes in random places hoping i dont short something

9 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

That's why you don't stick probes in random places, but check the data sheet or some other reference what to probe...

17 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

so i trust what HWmoniter says

I do not. If your 12 V rail was really only capable of delivering 8 V then 1) the PSU is a goner and 2) I don't think the PC would even turn on. On the chance that you are in fact getting these wacky voltages I'd say get a multimeter to check or stop using it immediately and get a new one.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

When he says software monitoring isn't reliable, it means ignore those results.  Meaning... there isn't anything wrong most likely.

You're chasing ghosts.  Unless there is something going on that made you check the HWInfo in the first place, but you haven't said?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

16 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

but they are similar so i trust what HWmoniter says

Both use the same, equally useless sensors. It doesn't matter if they're the best you've got, what matters is that they're useless. If you want more random numbers that are completely irrelevant, I suggest getting them from random.org.

https://www.random.org/

:)

The measurements are not accurate. In fact they're most likely completely bogus.

For one, unless your power supply is 15+ years old, it does not produce -5v - this voltage is deprecated and power supplies are allowed to no longer have this voltage or even have the wire in the 24pin connector.

It was used in ISA slots if my memory is correct, before pci-e, before agp. before pci.

So your bios makes something up, and lists approx. -9v when there's nothing there.

-12v does exist in power supplies, but it's strictly used by the serial port, which may not even be there as a connector on the motherboard, it may only be as a header. It's not used.

Because it has only this obsolete function, most power supplies don't even bother to regulate it properly and with nothing using this -12v, it's quite common to see even in high end power supplies something like -10v instead of -12v.  All serial devices are actually designed to treat anything higher (more negative I mean) than around -8v as a digital 1 and anything else as a digital 0, so accuracy doesn't matter.

What should be obvious to you is that it's extremely unlikely that your power supply outputs exactly 8.064v on 12v, and exactly -8.064 on -12v ... exactly the same number to the millivolt.

The battery is a lithium one, and will be basically fully discharged at around 2v...You'd probably get bios warning messages saying settings can't be kept when the battery goes below around 2.7v ..so VBAT is also obviously an incorrect value.

If you have mechanical drives, your drives would not start with 8v ... so again, stupid software.

Try other software, maybe Aida64 or hwInfo but the easiest and most accurate would be to buy a multimeter - even a 5-10$ one is accurate enough to be useful, and usually more accurate than software.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Try other software, maybe Aida64 or hwInfo but the easiest and most accurate would be to buy a multimeter - even a 5-10$ one is accurate enough to be useful, and usually more accurate than software.

ok but butting metal in a on pc does not sound smart also that does not solve the problem the + Voltages being off

The multimeter has probes. You simply put the multimeter on DC voltage and you put the probes on the outputs of the power supply.

A convenient connector is the old molex (hard drive) connectors which have +5v and +12v so you could simply put the probes in the connector and get a voltage reading :

image.png.f92729a6125c4344e6495b74c1c1451b.png

3.3v is a bunch of wires in the 24 pin connector. You can google "atx 24 pin connector pinout" and you get the connector layout.

Here's a video showing how to check a power supply using a multimeter:

1 hour ago, Linus No Beard said:

also that does not solve the problem the + Voltages being off

The problem is the software not reading the voltages correctly. As you don't mention anything about your PC malfunctioning, voltages are probably fine. If you want to know for sure you go the multimeter route and measure it yourself.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

8 minutes ago, tikker said:

The problem is the software not reading the voltages correctly. As you don't mention anything about your PC malfunctioning, voltages are probably fine. If you want to know for sure you go the multimeter route and measure it yourself.

ok

I've seen voltages of 100 000 volts in my computers lol. I wouldn't get alarmed until there clearly is something wrong with the PC.