Google Follows Apple to Bring Opt-Out User Setting for Mobile Advertising IDs in Android 12. Facebook Faces New Threat!

Orcblood
1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

The catch is that Google has a new method of gathering data on people and categorizing them based on their interests, which doesn't rely on device IDs, and which has been speculated to make 3rd-parties more dependent upon Google's own services

Thats what i thought!

31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also what happens with "FLoC" which was specifically designed to get around the laws apparently , will that also be deactivated when users "opt out"?  I remain doubtful.

So, its even worse! How predictable

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats what i thought!

So, its even worse! How predictable

I don't know that it's worse, as, hopefully, fewer companies will be able to build comprehensive profiles of people (meanwhile Google will likely become more of a one-stop shop for intel agencies seeking to bolster their profiles on people). But it's still far from the goal and right of personal privacy and security on one's own devices, and agency over one's own activity records on their devices.

I also edited into my post that the new method is likely to be more process-intensive for device-owners because the work to profile them is being done on their devices instead of on Google's servers:

27 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The catch is that Google has a new method of gathering data on people and categorizing and profiling them based on their interests using on-device processing (which I guess means more processing overhead for device owners), which doesn't rely on device IDs, and which has been speculated to make 3rd-parties more dependent upon Google's own services

Hopefully, the EU and other data-tracking regulators can adapt to addressing Google's new method. The law should plainly declare that a business may not in any way co-opt or appropriate a person's device to feed themselves data if the user does not knowingly and explicitly permit it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 minutes ago, James Evens said:

horribly inefficient

thats probably true for newer versions because  my xperia z1 and z2 are still much faster than my current phone samsung a41…

Id still be using the Sonys, but battery issues  … oof.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

How many of those phones are older then 2 years?

Why does that matter?

Sounds great? 

1 year: next model launch's

2 year: still sold

3 years: by now it should be of the market

Yeah. Not impressive if you ask me as this still comes down to 1-2 major updates.

What do you mean? With Samsung you're getting 3 major Android upgrades. If your phone launches with Android 10, then you will get updated to Android 11, Android 12, and Android 13. It will not be on the latest update once Android 14 gets released, roughly 4 years after the launch of the device. I really don't understand what kind of math you're doing to turn that into "1-2 major updates". 

What  improved is security fixes but still not great.

How is that not great? Most OEMs, at least the ones like Samsung, are pushing out monthly security updates. How is that "not great"?

The only thing saving android here is how horribly inefficient it is otherwise a 5 year old phone would be still perfectly adequate for the majority of people

I actually think 5 year old phones are adequate for the majority of people. Android isn't inefficient by the way. Not sure why you think it is.

if you used old Windows phones or bb 10 you know what I mean. They aged extremely well compared to android phones with the same SOC

You can't be serious. 

They "aged well" because they could barely do anything. If software for those platforms had continued to evolve instead of die then they would have aged just as well/poorly as Android phones. Also, Windows Phones certainly didn't age well. Microsoft flat out abandoned several platforms and said "nope, we won't upgrade any handset with these chipsets". How is that "aged well"?

If Google came out and said 2 year old Android handsets wouldn't get updates anymore because the hardware was not good enough I am sure you would be talking about how poorly optimized Android is, yet here you are defending Microsoft and the horrendously bad OS called Windows Phone.

It's good,but doesn't affect me.

I use a firewall with extremely strict rules so all apps except the web browser are completely blocked from the internet.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/4/2021 at 3:55 PM, Vishera said:

It's good,but doesn't affect me.

I use a firewall with extremely strict rules so all apps except the web browser are completely blocked from the internet.

What's it like using a dumbphone in 2021?

Just now, LAwLz said:

What's it like using a dumbphone in 2021?

Not a dumb phone - It's a SAMSUNG Note 8.

Most apps are just an alternative to a web page anyway - so i use their web page,but with a script blocker in addition to the firewall rules.

And cookies are automatically deleted every time i launch the browser (I brave)

I also like playing games on emulators and those don't require Internet access anyway.

I have Signal installed and gave it an exception - but it still logged by the firewall on my phone.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566