Buying a new budget laptop

Hi,

What do you think about this configuration:

Acer A315-23-R376

Ryzen 5 3500U 

Vega 8

12GB RAM

512GB SSD

I'm planning to mainly use it for web dev (would run 2-3 dev servers at once), sporadic gaming (hoi4, eu4) and Photoshop for basic editing and inllustrator for vector art when i need it.

Is this a good config for my requirements?

8 minutes ago, iskander11 said:

Hi,

What do you think about this configuration:

Acer A315-23-R376

Ryzen 5 3500U 

Vega 8

12GB RAM

512GB SSD

I'm planning to mainly use it for web dev (would run 2-3 dev servers at once), sporadic gaming (hoi4, eu4) and Photoshop for basic editing and inllustrator for vector art when i need it.

Is this a good config for my requirements?

I'm a bit concerned about the RAM. I'm admittedly not a web developer, but running three servers strikes me as something that would use a lot of memory. For everything else it'd certainly be alright. I'd be more comfortable with 16GB of RAM for a "good no matter what" configuration.

Not really. It is a zen+ so ryzen 2000 series cpu (laptops were just labeled differently till ryzen 5000) and the single core performance is pretty poor compared to newer laptops. This matter a lot for photoshop and illustrator. Running dev servers on what is a u series 4c/8t cpu is not going to perform well.

What is the budget?

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not really. It is a zen+ so ryzen 2000 series cpu (laptops were just labeled differently till ryzen 5000) and the single core performance is pretty poor compared to newer laptops. This matter a lot for photoshop and illustrator. Running dev servers on what is a u series 4c/8t cpu is not going to perform well.

What is the budget?

The budget is up to $900 but not cash, financing for 12 months instead. That's the best laptop the store has to offer btw, no better config. In other stores there are much better laptops but I can't buy using financing method

2 minutes ago, iskander11 said:

The budget is up to $900 but not cash, financing for 12 months instead. That's the best laptop the store has to offer btw, no better config. In other stores there are much better laptops but I can't buy using financing method

Watch out with financing because they can realllly get you for a lot of money. Any chance you can save up the money over time? Do you need it now now?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Watch out with financing because they can realllly get you for a lot of money. Any chance you can save up the money over time? Do you need it now now?

Yeah i can save up but that will take years. I also don't need it 'now now', i have 2 desktop pc's.

Just now, iskander11 said:

Yeah i can save up but that will take years. I also don't need it 'now now', i have 2 desktop pc's.

Thing is this laptop is not good enough to do all of those tasks especially at the same time it is near impossible for it. So I don't really know what to do here then.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Thing is this laptop is not good enough to do all of those tasks especially at the same time it is near impossible for it. So I don't really know what to do here then.

are you a developer?

1 minute ago, iskander11 said:

are you a developer?

I used to be a webdev yes. My lenovo yoga 520 with 16gb of ram and i5 8250u was barely enough for my daily work and was not enough when I had photoshop open for visual edits. This machine is basically these specs give or take with 4gb less ram and thus I can do a good guess and say it will not be enough.