TechQuickie Fast As Possible video used for company wide training

JasperSlade

Hello everyone!

I've been watching Linus Tech Tips for years now.  You can imagine I was rather surprised to see one of his older videos appear inside some computer-based training that has been assigned to my department.  I had a couple of thoughts though,

1)  That's pretty cool! / Good for Linus!

2)  Can they do that?

Specifically they used this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvuHsu8S6v8

cutting off at 5:41.

As fun as it was to see Linus become a part of my job, I can't help but wonder if this hasn't happened without his knowledge.  I figure the forum here is a good place to start.  :)

Oh yea has happened before. He knows that.

Madison even said that to him straight up her teacher did that

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

10 minutes ago, JasperSlade said:

As fun as it was to see Linus become a part of my job, I can't help but wonder if this hasn't happened without his knowledge.  I figure the forum here is a good place to start.  🙂

I don't see how LMG could prevent anyone from using their videos in such a context, since it is essentially a private setting. Just like in the past where you could record some show from TV and use it in a similar fashion. A public presentation of these videos without some kind of broadcasting license agreement might be a bigger issue.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

10 minutes ago, JasperSlade said:

Hello everyone!

I've been watching Linus Tech Tips for years now.  You can imagine I was rather surprised to see one of his older videos appear inside some computer-based training that has been assigned to my department.  I had a couple of thoughts though,

1)  That's pretty cool! / Good for Linus!

2)  Can they do that?

Specifically they used this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvuHsu8S6v8

cutting off at 5:41.

As fun as it was to see Linus become a part of my job, I can't help but wonder if this hasn't happened without his knowledge.  I figure the forum here is a good place to start.  🙂

Yes, its completely fine, stealing someone's essay and saying its your is plagiarism, but showing that essay to people with proper credit isn't. 

15 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Just like in the past where you could record some show from TV and use it in a similar fashion

Well that was technically illegal.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Well that was technically illegal.

I know. I'm just saying there isn't much you can do to stop it. And "we" wouldn't even know about it unless someone from that company talks about it publicly.

It's also apparently not so clear cut for a YouTube video that is essentially available to anyone at any time, see for example: https://www.newmediarights.org/blogging/applying_youtube_terms_service_can_i_use_a_youtube_video_a_presentation

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If the video is linked live, youtube does allow it. As well the company should but a credit on the slide to say where it came from.

If they were to download the video and embedded it in the presentation so it can be played offline and youtube loses ad revenue then that is a user agreement issue with youtube.

As for the legal grounds, in most countries as long as the company does not sell the video for profit, and gives credit to the orginal source then they can use the video.

It does fall into education slot of fair-use. Its not like they are using it for marketing material? Thats directly profiting from someone else's work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv