Need Advice... Legion Pro Vs Ryzen Alienware...

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Screw that Ram upgrade, it's not needed. You will never notice ANY difference, that will make these 150 bucks worth it.
Unless you want to upgrade 2x 8gb to 2x 16gb yourself, that's a different story.

I personally would get the Legion. it's cheaper, has very high Wattage for power (so it's not really slower), and has 16:10, which is so much better for anything that isn't gaming or Netflix/youtube.

Also, Dell doesn't give out much informations.

The Legion 5 Pro Display is one of the best Displays you can find in any Gaming Laptop right now, or maybe THE Best.

Today I put an order in for a Legion 5 Pro 6th Gen (specs below) and I ended up paying a whopping $2,549.99 CAD (before taxes). I started watching some reviews and Jarrod's Laptops recommended that the RAM be replaced because of the timings reducing gaming performance. So for the price of 2 new sticks (about $150) I could just upgrade to a better laptop.  Then soon after I noticed that Dell has a much better laptop for not very much more money. The Alienware m15 Ryzen Edition R5 (specs below) fully maxed (after a $100 off coupon) would be $2,949.99 CAD (before taxes). Now Im considering cancelling my order from lenovo and buying the dell. I keep reading RAVING reviews about the Legion 5 Pro, even Linus made a video about it going on about how awesome it was... Is the Legion 5 Pro the better option here or is the Alienware a better offering considering the price/circumstances? Is there a better laptop out that that is cheaper?  don't actually want to spend more money but to get anything next gen I'm kind of forced to throw money at the problem) Things I require in a laptop: A built-in Webcam, at least a 3070 + any AMD CPU (preferably 8-core), 16GB ram (32 would be nice), 1TB nvme ssd (2 separate drives would be better) also that screen... I dont think the legion 5 pro can be beat in how awesome the screen is but Im willing to downgrade if the price is significantly cheaper., Budget: Cheaper is better but willing to spend what I must to get what I want 😛

Specs for Legion 5 Pro 6th Gen: $2,549.99 (CAD)
●  Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor (3.20 GHz, up to 4.40 GHz Max Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache)
●  Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
●  Display Type: 16.0" QHD (2560 x 1600) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, NVIDIA G-SYNC™, HDR 400, 500 nits, 165Hz
●  Memory: 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8 GB)
●  Hard Drive: 2 TB PCIe SSD (2 x 1 TB)
●  Warranty: One Year Legion Ultimate Support
●  AC Adapter: 300W
●  Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3070 8GB
●  Camera: 720p HD
●  Keyboard: Backlit - RGB - US English

●  Wireless: 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.1

Specs for the Alienware $2,949.99 (CAD)

Processor

AMD Ryzen R9 5900HX (8-Core, 20MB Total Cache, up to 4.6 GHz Max Boost Clock)

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro English

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6

Memory

32GB DDR4 3200MHz

Hard Drive

1TB PCIe M.2 SSD

LCD

15.6" QHD (2560 x 1440) 240Hz 2ms with ComfortView Plus, NVIDIA G-SYNC and Advanced Optimus

Color Choice

Dark Side of the Moon with High Endurance Clear Coat and Silky Smooth Finish

Wireless

Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 802.11ax 2x2 Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.2

Primary Battery

6-Cell Battery, 86WHr (Integrated)

Keyboard

Alienware's CherryMX ultra low-profile mechanical laptop keyboard with per-key AlienFX lighting

AC Adapter

240W Adapter

Edited by Skyrim_Jacob
added notes/prices to list.

Screw that Ram upgrade, it's not needed. You will never notice ANY difference, that will make these 150 bucks worth it.
Unless you want to upgrade 2x 8gb to 2x 16gb yourself, that's a different story.

I personally would get the Legion. it's cheaper, has very high Wattage for power (so it's not really slower), and has 16:10, which is so much better for anything that isn't gaming or Netflix/youtube.

Also, Dell doesn't give out much informations.

The Legion 5 Pro Display is one of the best Displays you can find in any Gaming Laptop right now, or maybe THE Best.

You can often find deals/coupons for Legion

Note that both are diff tier products...L5P more like mid range while m15 R5 is high end, though performance wise L5P is slightly better due to 125-140w 3070 vs 115-125w 3070

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128