Port forwarding minecraft server on ubuntu with Google domains DNS help

Hello, I am trying to setup a Minecraft server on ubuntu, and I am running into some issues in regards to port forwarding. I have an ISP supplied router, which I believe I have properly port forwarded it there. I have the TCP/UDP: 25565 and the ip 192.168.xxx.xxx, which is under the device tab.

I have bought a domain on google domains, which I have forwarding to the IP I would find under ipchicken

What more do I need to do? I am a bit lost and new to this. Reading online it looks like I need to do a bit more with the DNS but I am not sure. Help would really be appreciated!

16 hours ago, Alexcalibur said:

Hello, I am trying to setup a Minecraft server on ubuntu, and I am running into some issues in regards to port forwarding. I have an ISP supplied router, which I believe I have properly port forwarded it there. I have the TCP/UDP: 25565 and the ip 192.168.xxx.xxx, which is under the device tab.

I have bought a domain on google domains, which I have forwarding to the IP I would find under ipchicken

What more do I need to do? I am a bit lost and new to this. Reading online it looks like I need to do a bit more with the DNS but I am not sure. Help would really be appreciated!

You need two IP addresses to make it work, and not be on CG-NAT.

You need:

1x WAN IP - this is your outside connection, to which you forward your DNS A-record i.e. minecraft.mydomain.com to 42.0.69.69.

1x LAN IP - this is what your port forward on your router points to i.e. 192.168.1.10, port 25565 TCP.

If your WAN IP (check with WhatsMyIP) is in a 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x range, you're behind CG-NAT and you can't do port forwarding.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

You need:

1x WAN IP - this is your outside connection, to which you forward your DNS A-record i.e. minecraft.mydomain.com to 42.0.69.69.

1x LAN IP - this is what your port forward on your router points to i.e. 192.168.1.10, port 25565 TCP.

If your WAN IP (check with WhatsMyIP) is in a 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x range, you're behind CG-NAT and you can't do port forwarding.

Okay, thank you! I will try this.

You need:

I think I understand this, but starting at google domains I have my DNS A-record labeled as mc.servername.com and it is pointing to my outside connection 162.xxx.xxx.xxx. I then have the ports TCP/UDP:25565 open on my router pointing to device 192.168.x.x. What more needs to be done?

8 minutes ago, Alexcalibur said:

I think I understand this, but starting at google domains I have my DNS A-record labeled as mc.servername.com and it is pointing to my outside connection 162.xxx.xxx.xxx. I then have the ports TCP/UDP:25565 open on my router pointing to device 192.168.x.x. What more needs to be done?

That should be it. If you're using Windows as the server OS, check the Windows firewall and allow port 25565 tcp outbound and inbound.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

That should be it. If you're using Windows as the server OS, check the Windows firewall and allow port 25565 tcp outbound and inbound.

I am using Ubuntu, which I am not familiar with. I still can't get a connection on my local machine whither either the IP 162.xxx.xxx.xxx or the mc.servername.com

1 minute ago, Alexcalibur said:

I am using Ubuntu, which I am not familiar with. I still can't get a connection on my local machine whither either the IP 162.xxx.xxx.xxx or the mc.servername.com

your router might not support NAT loopback, so you won't be able to test it locally.

Try the open port tester at yougetsignal.com. If it reports port 25565 as open, others should be able to connect. You can then connect using the local IP.

You could also use your cellular connection on your phone to test connectivity.

21 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If it reports port 25565 as open, others should be able to connect.

It says that the port is closed, so that means that the point of error is at my router?

18 minutes ago, Alexcalibur said:

It says that the port is closed, so that means that the point of error is at my router?

Probably, yes. Afaik the firewall in Ubuntu is off by default, although you could try sudo ufw disable to disable it.

By the way, the port will only report as open if there's something listening on that port, so your Minecraft server needs to be running.

Do you have an ISP modem with your own router or are you using just the ISP provided modem/router?

47 minutes ago, Alexcalibur said:

Do you have a firewall enabled by any chance? The most common one is UFW.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Afaik the firewall in Ubuntu is off by default

I I ran the command to turn it off originally, but I will run it again

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Do you have an ISP modem with your own router or are you using just the ISP provided modem/router?

I am using the ISP modem/router. My ISP is AT&T and they claim that I can't use anything other than their provided modem/router, which may not be true but for the time being it is all I have time for. 

2 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Do you have a firewall enabled by any chance? The most common one is UFW.

I ran the command quoted below so it should be disabled

sudo ufw disable

You can test if its router or server, by trying to connect to it on the local IP address yourself. 

If you can connect locally, then the server is configured correctly, and you need to look at your router/internet. 

If you can't connect locally, then check that the server is running

e.g....

ps aux | grep minecraft*.jar
netstat -ano | grep 25565
sudo ufw status

You can try to telnet to it from your Windows machine and see if the port is responding, make sure the telnet client is installed and from cmd run

telnet <server> 25565

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA