2014 Samsung SSD still kicking!

dlevy129

Who has actually had a Samsung SSD die on them??????? My 128GB Samsung SSD is still kicking strong! I don't use it in my primary machine anymore I put it in my workroom PC. BUT damn. Paid $120 at Micro Center back then.haha 

To hell with the write life right?

Louis Rossmann had two 970 evo's fail on him in less than a year. Apparently the first one he got failed within a year and the next one that he got from warranty died after 4 months. Not saying Samsung makes bad ssd's but they most definitely don't have a clean record.

image.thumb.png.ff85febd45af8289c8d8cfa2df19f963.png

I have 850 Pro from release, I mean it's not that long but hey it's a high end SATA SSD though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

840 Evo 120G (that has 31TB of writes) that I got in 2013 october, still works without a hitch.

850 Evo 120G (that has 20TB of writes) that I got in 2015 april, no issues.

P981A 256G that I got few months ago, not a single issue. 

I had nothing but good experience with their ssds.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

30 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Louis Rossmann had two 970 evo's fail on him in less than a year. Apparently the first one he got failed within a year and the next one that he got from warranty died after 4 months. Not saying Samsung makes bad ssd's but they most definitely don't have a clean record.

Had my 1TB 970 Evo since August 2019, not a single issue. Nor with my 960 Evo I got used. Have installed a bunch of 860s and 870s at work, never a failure, nor with my old 850. Have had one 250GB 860 Evo I personally owned fail, but that's about it. 

Louis Rossmann's whole thing is fixing broken stuff so he sees a lot of it, I really dislike it when people quote him as a source for the reliability of x part or computer. Though in this case it does seem to be just standard luck of the draw with components. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

My old system has an 860 Evo that's still running great.

I wonder if LR had a backup or some kind of raid array that was constantly writing large amounts of data to the disk.

Good thing about Samsung drives, is that they come with a 5yr warranty, so even if you do get a bad one, you should be safe to get a replacement.

However, I've never had to deal with a Samsung RMA, so can't comment on that.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Have had a few Samsung SSD 845DC PROs in the field.

I have a Crucial M4 128GB, that my dad bought in 2010. It's at 88% life. It was at 91% when my dad gave this to me in 2020. It's been used as a Windows boot drive since it was bought.

Granted, I did do a bunch of heavy erase/write cycles (I've reinstalled Windows 5 or 6 times on this thing in 7 months), so I don't see it decreasing as much (maybe 1% a year, instead of 1% every 3 months).

Here's the CrystalDiskInfo readout if you're interested.

Spoiler

image.png.56ca5886abebac1d0eeb1bec4cd65530.png

elephants

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I have a Crucial M4 128GB, that my dad bought in 2010. It's at 88% life. It was at 91% when my dad gave this to me in 2020. It's been used as a Windows boot drive since it was bought.

Granted, I did do a bunch of heavy erase/write cycles (I've reinstalled Windows 5 or 6 times on this thing in 7 months), so I don't see it decreasing as much (maybe 1% a year, instead of 1% every 3 months).

Here's the CrystalDiskInfo readout if you're interested.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.56ca5886abebac1d0eeb1bec4cd65530.png

fyi, that drive was first released in april 2011. lol.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

fyi, that drive was first released in april 2011. lol.

I remember him building the computer that this came with on my 4th birthday (2010) but perhaps he used his old 250GB HDD for boot and then got the SSD later?
I asked him and he said "when I built it" but his memory's a bit fuzzy around that time.

Will note for the future though, thanks!

elephants

23 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Had my 1TB 970 Evo since August 2019, not a single issue. Nor with my 960 Evo I got used. Have installed a bunch of 860s and 870s at work, never a failure, nor with my old 850. Have had one 250GB 860 Evo I personally owned fail, but that's about it. 

Louis Rossmann's whole thing is fixing broken stuff so he sees a lot of it, I really dislike it when people quote him as a source for the reliability of x part or computer. Though in this case it does seem to be just standard luck of the draw with components. 

Never said Samsung made bad ssd's, nor I have I said that they have a bad track record. Also this isn't some used SSD, or some SSD that he got from a customer, it's a new SSD, in his own system, and he's experiencing these issues. And again, I never said his case was representative of everyone elses, I just said Samsung isn't perfect and there are times when their drives do fail and gave an example. And regardless, Louis doesn't do data recovery to my knowledge, he has other employees that do that at his store.

And again, this is his own drive, bought new to my knowledge, not a customer that came in with the drive.