Is there any way to create and publish a website for free?

Go to solution Solved by ultimatemythbuster,

i have been wanting to create a website for fun for ages but i dont want to pay all these fees for a domain name and a web hosts ect... as you can probably tell my knowledge on website creation and networking is pretty limited but that is one of the main reasons why i want to learn. Im currently studying networking at high school and im really enjoying it and interested in it. im hoping that creating a website would give me a slight advantage in the class room.

please if you have any tips for anything networking related please share!

Thanks guys i appreciate all of the reply's !   

You could always just install a webserver like apache on an old computer, set up some port forwarding, and put your site on that. Of course if you want to use a domain name with this config. you have to actually own the name.  That's what I do for a few small sites.

i have been wanting to create a website for fun for ages but i dont want to pay all these fees for a domain name and a web hosts ect... as you can probably tell my knowledge on website creation and networking is pretty limited but that is one of the main reasons why i want to learn. Im currently studying networking at high school and im really enjoying it and interested in it. im hoping that creating a website would give me a slight advantage in the class room.

http://www.webs.com/

http://www.weebly.com/
http://wordpress.com/

https://www.blogger.com

There are more, but I am too tired to think of them its 7am, and I need to go to bed.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

yea lots and lots, you just get a ton of ads

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Try Enjin. Targeted towards gaming organizations, but there is simply nothing you can't do with Enjin, it is extremely robust and feature rich.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Download WAMP and run it on your own box if you are just wanting to learn stuff.

Download WAMP and run it on your own box if you are just wanting to learn stuff.

^^^ or recycle an old computer and setup a LAMP.

Amazon also has a small AWS tier that is free for one year that I have been using with no issues. Aside from having to set everything up.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Free hosting with any decent CMS.

Wordpress, Joomla, anything.

You could always just install a webserver like apache on an old computer, set up some port forwarding, and put your site on that. Of course if you want to use a domain name with this config. you have to actually own the name.  That's what I do for a few small sites.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

@JUMPERMAN

To add to this... a domain can be cheap depending on the name and often the renewal is less. If hosting from home you might notice that your home IP changes now you could just update your dns manually should this happen but that is annoying, some dns provider offer dynamic dns so it keeps the ip correct and your stuff goes where it needs to. You could forgo the domain name and simply connect with the IP but no dynamic dns wizardry.

As for the server, find some tutorials and set up a LAMP server that is Linux Apache MySQL Php. you will kill two birds with one stone learn a bit of linux and web server management.

If you have the money a small SSH enabled vps might be a good solution or the AWS free tier for pure simplicity. I have my sites on Digital Ocean. and I am currently updating it to use Varnish Caching however the speed difference with a datacentre upload compared to home upload is a great thing.

As you are interested in networking this is a great way to learn so good luck also believe in google its your friend! :D 

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

FYI, if it's a residential internet plan, Port 80 is blocked, and cannot be unblocked through port forwarding. Calling the ISP to open it won't work. If it's a business internet plan, then the customer has more pull. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

FYI, if it's a residential internet plan, Port 80 is blocked, and cannot be unblocked through port forwarding. Calling the ISP to open it won't work. If it's a business internet plan, then the customer has more pull. 

That really does depend on the ISP some don't block port 80 many do though so should have thought about that. If its a business plan then they normally leave that stuff open and assume you will be using your own hardware firewall. 

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

If you want to build a free website I recommend imcreator.com. The creating process is quite simple and there's no need of any programming skills because of their drag-and-drop option. I like their modern themes and their cool but free stock images too. From my point of view it is really worth it!

You don't even need a separate computer. If you want you could use a VM (especially useful if you're on a mac, and need to check for compatibility with IE). There exist free LAMP (linux operating systems) and WAMP stacks that I'd recommend looking into. XAMPP would be the first one.

Current Build Log: Here on LTT and Corsair's Forum