Facebook, Twitter and Google could get fined for banning candidates under new Florida law

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead

Summary

Florida passed a law stating that Facebook, Twitter, and Google or any other big social media companies would get fined by the Florida Election Commission.

Quotes

Under the law, which takes effect July 1, the Florida Election Commission would fine any social media company $250,000 per day if the company removed an account for a candidate for statewide office. Social networks would also get fined $25,000 per day if they de-platformed candidates running for local offices.

My thoughts

I think this is a giant step for freedom of speech. I just hope that this will become the worldwide standard. 

Sources

Facebook, Twitter and Google could get fined for banning candidates under new Florida law - CNET

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

Thread locked.

While it may impact some tech companies, there's no discussion of any technology aspects. This is a government imposed policy change that is fuelled by political motives, and it's those political motives that are the basis for the discussion. You can't discuss this without discussing why it is be implemented and that is for political reasons.

No political content, regardless of your views.

• If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics
  • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450