Upgrading my display

OceanDad
Go to solution Solved by Tech87,

Maybe that new LG monitor isn't available in Canada yet. Not sure.

This is the first time I've ever gamed on a 1440p screen, and I can say without a doubt, that it's a lot more crisp.

I'm very much enjoying the resolution and crisp colors of the IPS panel.

One of the downsides to IPS panels are their low black levels and contract ratios, but I'm in a pretty dark area anyway, and so it doesn't bother me at all.

I have a good setup, 2080 Super and Ryzen 7 5800x, but I'm still on my budget 1080p display (Benq XL2411.) With a budget of approximately 600$ Canadian, what is my best choice for monitor? I like the idea of the LG 27GL850-B, but if there are any better/brighter options out there either in my budget, or around it, I'd love to hear about it. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

Are you looking for another 1080p or 1440p?

Also, does size matter?

Im looking for whatevers best for my setup, considering my specs. I figure that's 1440p. Id prefer 27", id consider less, or up to 32"

Yeah, your setup would run 1440p nicely.

I just finished purchasing a new monitor, and so I've recently done a lot of research.

These are a few models that stood out, and all are officially gsync compatible.

Gigabyte G27Q/M27Q

Asus VG27AQ

Dell S2721DGF

msi MAG274QRF-QD

Theres a new LG model that a member recent brought up in another post, although I wasn't aware of it during my search, and haven't done any research on it myself.

The model is LG 27GP850.

That should give you a nice starting point to run some vs comparisons.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

4 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Yeah, your setup would run 1440p nicely.

I just finished purchasing a new monitor, and so I've recently done a lot of research.

These are a few models that stood out, and all are officially gsync compatible.

Gigabyte G27Q/M27Q

Asus VG27AQ

Dell S2721DGF

msi MAG274QRF-QD

Theres a new LG model that a member recent brought up in another post, although I wasn't aware of it during my search, and haven't done any research on it myself.

The model is LG 27GP850.

That should give you a nice starting point to run some vs comparisons.

Yea I was just reading about the 27GP850, it only just released. I had my eyes on the 27GN850, but wasn't happy about the 350nitt brightness. That's what my current monitor has, and although its a 1080p TN, I want something a bit brighter just because bright = cool. The GP gets it up to 450, and has higher refresh rates and stuff. I might go for that, it's around 650 (I think), but I can probably manage. It's 500$ USD, but I cant find it on any Canadian sites rn, I figure it'd be around there

How much of a real difference does decent 1440p make? The only screen I've seen that was above 1080p was a low end 4k tv from Samsung. (i think it was in one of Linus' cheap 4k tv roundups). It was cool, but id rather a 1080p with better colors and all that. I figure this monitor would be that, but 1440p. I do wanna get rid of 1080p

Honestly the best looking monitors I've seen are higher end CRT monitors, they look awesome, and with smaller sizes, the ppi is pretty great. CRTs are awesome, I wish they stayed a thing, even as a lower produced niche product

Maybe that new LG monitor isn't available in Canada yet. Not sure.

This is the first time I've ever gamed on a 1440p screen, and I can say without a doubt, that it's a lot more crisp.

I'm very much enjoying the resolution and crisp colors of the IPS panel.

One of the downsides to IPS panels are their low black levels and contract ratios, but I'm in a pretty dark area anyway, and so it doesn't bother me at all.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Yea, I'm not planning on buying the monitor for a few months anyway so hopefully it'll be in by then. I like to plan ahead a lot, but sometimes it backfires, like when I planned to get a Ryzen 2400, and then a week later I see 3rd gen Ryzen coming out. Don't figure this will be one of those situations though. 

I want something nice and colorful, I figure an IPS panel would work. The colors on my current monitor are very bland, and people in non stylized games (in like the Valorant or Overwatch way) like CSGO or Siege blend into the background.

Cant wait to get that monitor though, thanks for the help. Glad you're enjoying yours

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ1A should also be good - 10bit panel

I edit my posts more often than not