Help me OC my Fx6350 to 4.5-4.6 GHz please

So I have a Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 and FX6350 and I overclocked to 4.2 GHz(but sometime, when idle my CPU jump back to about 1.4 and back to 4.2). But now I want to try to get 4.5 on fx6350 with Deep cool Gammax 300 air cooler.

Help you how? What issues are you encountering? You're very unlikely to hit 4.5ghz on that motherboard, as there's no VRM heatsink. The FX CPU's are near bulletproof in terms of overclocking/volting, but can also lead to an exponential increase in power draw. For reference, I had my FX 8320 overclocked to 4.8ghz back in the day and measured it about 220 watts. I wouldn't put more than 130 watts through the VRM on your board.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

5 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Help you how? What issues are you encountering? You're very unlikely to hit 4.5ghz on that motherboard, as there's no VRM heatsink. The FX CPU's are near bulletproof in terms of overclocking/volting, but can also lead to an exponential increase in power draw. For reference, I had my FX 8320 overclocked to 4.8ghz back in the day and measured it about 220 watts. I wouldn't put more than 130 watts through the VRM on your board.

IDK it gonna stable or not and I just want to make sure. + The cpu using 42 W max and I have no idea why

Just now, GodDarkWorld said:

IDK it gonna stable or not and I just want to make sure. + The cpu using 42 W max

Only you can determine if your specific chip and board will be stable at that frequency. I'd tell you it wont be stable and may damage your board if you push that voltage too high.

FYI your CPU is using much more than 42 watts. If you're using software to get this reading it's wrong. The FX CPU's were notorious for significant power draw, even at idle.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Having owned that motherboard my self I can tell you you're basically lucky to run at stock. The VRM's are hilariously under spec with the added benefit of no cooling solution. The perfect storm for massive amounts of thermal throttling not from the CPU but the VRM's in an effort to save them selves because that motherboard should have never been released as the FX processors were way too power hungry for it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

2 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Only you can determine if your specific chip and board will be stable at that frequency. I'd tell you it wont be stable and may damage your board if you push that voltage too high.

FYI your CPU is using much more than 42 watts. If you're using software to get this reading it's wrong. The FX CPU's were notorious for significant power draw, even at idle.

Ok ty for helping... Have a good day/night

14 hours ago, GodDarkWorld said:

Ok ty for helping... Have a good day/night

If you try to oc on the board you will have a dead pc in no time. That motherboard can BARELY rund a fx 6350 at stock. It has that bad vrms it is truely a bad motherboard and has just died from even putting a fx 8320 in it.

40 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you try to oc on the board you will have a dead pc in no time. That motherboard can BARELY rund a fx 6350 at stock. It has that bad vrms it is truely a bad motherboard and has just died from even putting a fx 8320 in it.

I had always wondered the truth behind all that. 

So some years back I put 2x 4+1 VRM boards to the test.

Specifically M5A78L-M LX Plus.

Several FX and PHII processors I had tested.

FX-8350 on 4 VRMs at 6.1ghz all core.

This is about the max the VRMs could handle before core reduction.

https://valid.x86.fr/accq5v

Was also told at OC forums the board wasn't capable of 2.0v+

I also found a way to accomplish that, with a max OC of 7685mhz and core reduction.

https://valid.x86.fr/cih7iw

Two things FX needs to go fast.

1. Cooling. They love cold.

2. Voltage. There is no restriction

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I had always wondered the truth behind all that. 

So some years back I put 2x 4+1 VRM boards to the test.

Specifically M5A78L-M LX Plus.

Several FX and PHII processors I had tested.

FX-8350 on 4 VRMs at 6.1ghz all core.

This is about the max the VRMs could handle before core reduction.

https://valid.x86.fr/accq5v

Was also told at OC forums the board wasn't capable of 2.0v+

I also found a way to accomplish that, with a max OC of 7685mhz and core reduction.

https://valid.x86.fr/cih7iw

Two things FX needs to go fast.

1. Cooling. They love cold.

2. Voltage. There is no restriction

Did you run this for a couple days? It can survive it for a little but give it a couple days and it is gone. I mean I literally still have a couple bins of am3 boards from people ocing and a lot of them are the 780 chipset based ones and most are asus as those were the most popular.

Just now, jaslion said:

Did you run this for a couple days? It can survive it for a little but give it a couple days and it is gone. I mean I literally still have a couple bins of am3 boards from people ocing and a lot of them are the 780 chipset based ones and most are asus as those were the most popular.

I gamed on the FX-4300 at around 7.1ghz. 

The motherboards lasted several months overclocking a list of processors well beyond their supposed rated capacity. 

Total time was never calculated, but more than a couple of hours worth of time running 1.7v and higher across a variety of processors.

I think each CPU I spent 1 to 2 hours of time overclocking. My LN2 dewar holds just enough for 2.5 hours OC each chip. That's 22L worth.

I can give you a list. (Also 90% of these soldered examples where in fact solder delidded and ran naked.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I gamed on the FX-4300 at around 7.1ghz. 

The motherboards lasted several months overclocking a list of processors well beyond their supposed rated capacity. 

Total time was never calculated, but more than a couple of hours worth of time running 1.7v and higher across a variety of processors.

I think each CPU I spent 1 to 2 hours of time overclocking. My LN2 dewar holds just enough for 2.5 hours OC each chip. That's 22L worth.

I can give you a list. (Also 90% of these soldered examples where in fact solder delidded and ran naked.

Damn then you mustve gotten a really lucky sample of a board. Im saving mine still to do a motherboard wall project :p.

Just now, jaslion said:

Damn then you mustve gotten a really lucky sample of a board. Im saving mine still to do a motherboard wall project :p.

I had 2 of them. They both had similar results on and off extreme cooling figures. 

For 50 bucks, it was ideal to actually TRY and break them. They did not. 

I sold one of the boards that I OCed a few chips on actually. 

The buyer was fully aware what I did to it lol. 

The other one did break, but from condensation, not from overclocking.

And I've killed Biostar boards with mild OCs. Asus makes a pretty solid motherboard. Always have.