Fan doesnt spin on startup

Go to solution Solved by SamClan,

go into your bios and look up your fan curve. you might need to adjust it so it will start spinning. also check what SorryClaire said. 

So I'm having this weird issue. For some reason, my pc fan stops spinning (which isn't the issue since my other one does that too), but then is unable to start spinning again.
This only happens when I boot up my pc after I shut it down through windows, and not after restarting or waking the pc up from sleep.
That's why I find this issue so weird because I don't think it has to do with the fan not having enough power (because it can obviously start from startup and sleep), so I'm really not sure how to fix it.
I always have to manually open the glass panel and nudge the fan for it to start spinning.
I have attached a video below, where you can see the fan trying to start spinning, but it is unable to for some reason (you can see it clearly at 6 seconds).
Any help is appreciated!

24 minutes ago, ChillCosby said:

For some reason, my pc fan stops spinning (which isn't the issue since my other one does that too), but then is unable to start spinning again.

How about putting them under load? sounds like the system defaulted to "fan stop mode" which is basically going to stop all fans in the system thats plugged to the fan header to keep it basically silent while idling.

ps: It might get tiring, but H510 is a bad case for airflow.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

go into your bios and look up your fan curve. you might need to adjust it so it will start spinning. also check what SorryClaire said. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

Change where the fan is plugged onto the motherboard. I had an issue recently where I found one of the system fan terminals on the motherboard worked intermittently and another not at all. It was a refurbished mobo, so I wasn't mad or surprised.  

22 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

How about putting them under load? sounds like the system defaulted to "fan stop mode" which is basically going to stop all fans in the system thats plugged to the fan header to keep it basically silent while idling.

ps: It might get tiring, but H510 is a bad case for airflow.

Not sure how I am supposed to put the fans under load under the startup. But im guessing you mean that i should put them under load after the pc has booted up. 

Also i have the masterbox nr400, which comes with 2 fans, and has really good airflow at least from what ive seen on gamers nexus.

But thank you for the help, ill try booting up a game and see if that gets it to spin. 

22 hours ago, SamClan said:

Im not sure what i would set the fan curve to tho, im not that good with fan curves. The weird thing is this only happens with the front fan. The rear fan starts up fine. So i might try what phindawg suggested.

3 minutes ago, ChillCosby said:

Also i have the masterbox nr400

Pardon me then, they are both pretty similar from front quarter without their front panel.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

19 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Pardon me then, they are both pretty similar from front quarter without their front panel.

No problem, but I think u might have a point now that i have researched a bit. I found this image, and sys_fan2 (smart fan 5)  is supposed to have a fan stop (which is where the fan is plugged in)

https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-145-210-V06.jpg

So should i just let it be? or can i change this somewhere in bios settings?

45 minutes ago, ChillCosby said:

Im not sure what i would set the fan curve to tho, im not that good with fan curves. The weird thing is this only happens with the front fan. The rear fan starts up fine. So i might try what phindawg suggested.

How are your fans connected with ,our motherboard? 

Btw it is not that weird if the fans are different. Some of them need more power to run 

24 minutes ago, ChillCosby said:

So should i just let it be? or can i change this somewhere

No, it annoys you and you can fix it. It should be in the BIOS settings. 

Smart fan 5 

see picture, I have a gigabyte mobo yours might look different

bzw you can als Change the can curve here 16217694116966497437541700178142.thumb.jpg.1bc721bae8d2cb41f25a7d0593da94c8.jpg

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

18 minutes ago, SamClan said:

How are your fans connected with ,our motherboard? 

Btw it is not that weird if the fans are different. Some of them need more power to run 

No, it annoys you and you can fix it. It should be in the BIOS settings. 

Smart fan 5 

see picture, I have a gigabyte mobo yours might look different

bzw you can als Change the can curve here 16217694116966497437541700178142.thumb.jpg.1bc721bae8d2cb41f25a7d0593da94c8.jpg

Ohh, thanks! I also have gigabyte so it should be similar.

3 minutes ago, ChillCosby said:

Ohh, thanks! I also have gigabyte so it should be similar.

if you need help step by step just write 

23 hours ago, SamClan said:

if you need help step by step just write 

Uhh so apparently fan stop was already disabled (i checked for both of the fans, and the cpu fan). Tried changing it to on and then off again, but it didn't change anything. So i rly don't know what could be the problem.

how is everything connected? Front Fan to HUB to Moterhboard System_Fan1? ?
Front Fan to Motherboard System_Fan1?

50 minutes ago, SamClan said:

how is everything connected? Front Fan to HUB to Moterhboard System_Fan1? ?
Front Fan to Motherboard System_Fan1?

Its front fan to sys_fan2

image.png.debe2c393363c120e614231a1ea5eeeb.png

okay go into your BIOS sett Set Sys_fan 2 to full speed, take a picture I just want to know how your BIOS setting looks like. 

and start your system like it would normally stop your fan. 

Why we do this? just to make sure that the fan doesn't stop because I still believe we have to adjust the fan curve. But if it even stops with full power there is no need to adjust. 

other question your Rear Fan is in Sys _fan1? 

you could also try to exchange them, also plug front in Sys_fan1 and rear in Sys_fan2 might also help. 

23 minutes ago, SamClan said:

okay go into your BIOS sett Set Sys_fan 2 to full speed, take a picture I just want to know how your BIOS setting looks like. 

and start your system like it would normally stop your fan. 

Why we do this? just to make sure that the fan doesn't stop because I still believe we have to adjust the fan curve. But if it even stops with full power there is no need to adjust. 

other question your Rear Fan is in Sys _fan1? 

you could also try to exchange them, also plug front in Sys_fan1 and rear in Sys_fan2 might also help. 

Ok so my bios settings are basically exactly the same as yours, just ur colors are slightly different. 

I started it with the full fan speed, but it didnt stop my fan, and then i set it back to normal and started it from shutdown and it seemed to work normally.

So idk if this only happens after the pc has been off for a while, or if it just fixed itself. Ill keep you updated on if it happens again. 

18 hours ago, ChillCosby said:

Ok so my bios settings are basically exactly the same as yours, just ur colors are slightly different. 

I started it with the full fan speed, but it didnt stop my fan, and then i set it back to normal and started it from shutdown and it seemed to work normally.

So idk if this only happens after the pc has been off for a while, or if it just fixed itself. Ill keep you updated on if it happens again. 

I started it up again today, and the same problem happened as before. Maybe it can have something to do with the bearing not being lubed enough for it to start turning or something? Although i find that weird as ive only had the pc for about 6 months.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, ChillCosby said:

I started it up again today, and the same problem happened as before. Maybe it can have something to do with the bearing not being lubed enough for it to start turning or something? Although i find that weird as ive only had the pc for about 6 months.

I wouldn't lube it, just write your case manufacturer and tell him to send another fan. The reasons and so on 

I had to do that too, because on of mine did some weird noises.