System upgrade options - i9-9900x, 64GB DDR4, rtx2080ti to...?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, Woodenwealth said:

OK thanks I'll try that. Sure it's a fair point - and I didn't get in to any of the issues I have so here goes:

Firstly, when working with some larger SketchUp models and Layout files I get some performance issues. As I understand it (and I'm prepared to be wrong) this is mostly down to the single-core CPU speed, and probably the RAM speed also? I think the i9-9900x socket limits the RAM to 2666mhz? So, I'm wondering whether swapping out theMB, CPU and ram might be worthwhile.

Secondly, and this is the difficult bit to reconcile, some of the rendering utilises multiple cores, so core-count well, counts. I guess there's no pleasing some hm?

I am quite prepared to wait another year or two if there simply isn't a significantly better option at present. I could also just use a VM when I need to I suppose...

Well single core performance is better on newer systems but it isn't a huge leap ( a 15% jump at best for your usecase isn't something I'd say that warrants a over 1k upgrade). Multi core rendering has indeed sped up but shouldn't you be able to use the gpu in all these applications normally? Especailly with nvidia's ray tracing optimized renderer it would just fly.

I would indeed just wait if you can,

Hi folks,

This is my first post here so firstly hi all! Thanks in advance for anyone who reads and takes the time to respond - I appreciate it.

I'm interested in what performance gains I might be able to get by upgrading my system (specs below).

Most of my usage is on SketchUp, Enscape, V-Ray and some other CAD programs, though I do do some gaming and image/video editing too.

As I understand it, my biggest limitation at the moment might be the single-core processing speed? Also I guess ram speed could be improved if I change CPU & motherboard? I've been getting a few WHEA errors recently, and I think it might be one of the RAM sticks, so I may have to replace them in order to be sure.

No suggestions are bad- I'm open minded. Budget... well lets say no more than £2k for any combination of upgrades.

Current rig:

CASE: NZXT H700i

MB: ROG Rampage VI Omega Extreme

PSU: Corsair RM850X

CPU: i9-9900x (9900k was out of stock when I commissioned this system)

Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro 360 RGB

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4 3200 16GB x 4

GPU: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG Strix OC

HD1: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus

HD2: Seagate 2TB Barracuda ST200DM008

Current temps: System is OC'd to about 28% (stock OC at SCAN computers, I'm not messing...) when using the Occulus Quest 2 in link mode to view an Enscape model the GPU usage goes straight to 100%, and gets up to around 70C. CPU never gets above 60C.

Thanks!

Memtest86 so you can veryify if it is your ram.

Either way I don't really know what the issue here is for an upgrade? You have a pretty much top of the line system especially for your usecase.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Memtest86 so you can veryify if it is your ram.

Either way I don't really know what the issue here is for an upgrade? You have a pretty much top of the line system especially for your usecase.

OK thanks I'll try that. Sure it's a fair point - and I didn't get in to any of the issues I have so here goes:

Firstly, when working with some larger SketchUp models and Layout files I get some performance issues. As I understand it (and I'm prepared to be wrong) this is mostly down to the single-core CPU speed, and probably the RAM speed also? I think the i9-9900x socket limits the RAM to 2666mhz? So, I'm wondering whether swapping out theMB, CPU and ram might be worthwhile.

Secondly, and this is the difficult bit to reconcile, some of the rendering utilises multiple cores, so core-count well, counts. I guess there's no pleasing some hm?

I am quite prepared to wait another year or two if there simply isn't a significantly better option at present. I could also just use a VM when I need to I suppose...

1 minute ago, Woodenwealth said:

Well single core performance is better on newer systems but it isn't a huge leap ( a 15% jump at best for your usecase isn't something I'd say that warrants a over 1k upgrade). Multi core rendering has indeed sped up but shouldn't you be able to use the gpu in all these applications normally? Especailly with nvidia's ray tracing optimized renderer it would just fly.

9 minutes ago, Woodenwealth said:

I think the i9-9900x socket limits the RAM to 2666mhz?

The 9900X supports up to 2666 MT/s RAM, but can run higher speeds. If you have XMP enabled in the BIOS, it will run at 3200 MT/s.

elephants

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

OK thanks. Indeed that wouldn't be worthwhile for the cost at present. Yes you're right to some extent, although V-Ray runs significantly faster when using the hybrid CPU/GPU mode.

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

The 9900X supports up to 2666 MT/s RAM, but can run higher speeds. If you have XMP enabled in the BIOS, it will run at 3200 MT/s.

Thanks. I do have XMP enabled but the clock speed never seems to go above 2700mhz. I admit I've not put any time into seeing why this is.