Mapped Network Drive Permissions

bigo93
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Try using iscsi. It will make it show the drive shows up and works like a local disk. 

Permissions can be annoying for cifs/smb as its per user in windows, so instlling apps as admin won't often work.

Just expanded my xpenology (Synology) NAS so I can install my games on a network drive.

Steam installs and Epic Games installs went fine.
Ubisoft Connect says no
Origin and Oculus Home let me select the network drive during install of the client, but when I try to install a game they refuse

Oculus Home claims I dont have permission for that folder
So I went into the mapped drive's properties and tried to see if I could add permissions.
But it looks like I cant add users or groups from my PC to the network drive, only users and groups from the server

As you can see in image, the Location is locked.

Is there a way to change this Location to my PC to add groups from my PC or not?

Or does anyone know a work around to install Oculus and Origin games on a NAS?

network.png

My guess is, you can create a local account on the server, the username and password of which match the ones on your PC, and then assign it the respective permission. Then, your PC should connect without a password and the shares should have the permissions. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

15 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

why does that config show a 169.*.*.* IP ?

That's normally only assigned when a PC cant get an IP address from it's local DHCP server

Guess the OP has basically connected his server and PC with an Ethernet cable and no router/switch in between to act as a DHCP server? 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Guess the OP has basically connected his server and PC with an Ethernet cable and no router/switch in between to act as a DHCP server? 

Yup, Direct connection between PC and Server.

In UK with Virgin Media, and their router is awful.
It was doing transfers at 100MB/s, but suddenly it's capped it at 30MB/s max
Tried a reboot, restore factory settings on router, but still capping at 30MB/s
So decided direct connection to get back to 100MB/s transfers since server has 2 LAN ports.

try assigning static ips in a more usual 192.*.*.* or 10.*.*.* range  to both NICs, its remotely possible that SMB is throwing a wobbly at the 169.*.*.* addressing given what it's typically assigned for.

3 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

try assigning static ips in a more usual 192.*.*.* or 10.*.*.* range  to both NICs, its remotely possible that SMB is throwing a wobbly at the 169.*.*.* addressing given what it's typically assigned for.

Just mapped the server using the LAN port connected to my router, so the drive has the IP 192.168.0.20
Same error showing up, no permissions

2 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

My guess is, you can create a local account on the server, the username and password of which match the ones on your PC, and then assign it the respective permission. Then, your PC should connect without a password and the shares should have the permissions. 

Have you tried this @bigo93?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

VPN Server Guide

30 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Have you tried this @bigo93?

Well even if the username is the same, the device name would be different, so it wont link the 2 together.
I guess worth a try, but very much doubt it will work.

---Nope didnt work either.

Try using iscsi. It will make it show the drive shows up and works like a local disk. 

Permissions can be annoying for cifs/smb as its per user in windows, so instlling apps as admin won't often work.

Hmm, not firmiliar with iscsi

Synology can enable it, using this guide https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_the_iSCSI_Target_service_on_Synology_NAS

But it asks for Total Capacity.
Now I already have a shared folder set up on my NAS
Would this create a separate folder?
And would setting this up take away the storage space from the rest of my NAS?

Got 2 folders set up on my NAS
Games Library and my NAS folder for media
These occupy and share one volume

I dont want to set this up and then find I have no space for more media.
Or can I expand/shrink this after it has been set up?

56 minutes ago, bigo93 said:

Hmm, not firmiliar with iscsi

Synology can enable it, using this guide https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Virtualization/How_to_use_the_iSCSI_Target_service_on_Synology_NAS

But it asks for Total Capacity.
Now I already have a shared folder set up on my NAS
Would this create a separate folder?
And would setting this up take away the storage space from the rest of my NAS?

Got 2 folders set up on my NAS
Games Library and my NAS folder for media
These occupy and share one volume

I dont want to set this up and then find I have no space for more media.
Or can I expand/shrink this after it has been set up?

ISCSI is block storage, so you won't see ny files on the nas, and only one system(normally) can use it at once.

You can set a small size, and make it bigger later.

@Electronics Wizardy  Thanks for the tip, iSCSI worked like a charm!

If anyone else want to video tutorial instead of readin stuff
You dont need to the CHAP login setup if you dont want to, unless you dont want someone else accessing the drive.