games for a kid(boy age 8)

loadironmania
Go to solution Solved by Soag,

As for the ones already mentioned:

Minecraft - seems like a good idea and there's tons of mods but isn't cheap and might be addictive

Celeste - was given out on Epic so if the kid has an online access he might already have it

Ori - IMO very good proposition although he might lose interest as he'll most likely die a lot. On the other hand you can save very often and dying a lot might teach him patience

Cave Story - don't know that one

Thomas was Alone - same as above

My propositions:

Portal - is cheap, mechanically a puzzle/problem solving game, has decent story and has a co-op

This War of Mine - a lesson of harsh reality, involves micromanagement/planning, very simple mechanically, teaches how devastating war really is without any graphical elements (no gore, blood splashing, etc.)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - aesthetically pleasing, history served well (just let him know there are 'pickups' to look for), a story he WILL remember (so you will give him a nice childhood memory)

World of Goo - cheap, mechanically simple, problem solving with GREAT physics

Subnautica - calming gameplay (except for leviathans), survival-type (but easily managable), very interesting world, kid would be super interested (I'm playing it right now and both my kids - 9 and 4 - are super into it and I let them watch without a care in the world

Trailmakers - a LEGO-like idea of building vehicles in order to complete challenges with them, brings out creativity

Deep Rock Galactic - be a dwarf, dig for resources solo or in a co-op manner (teams up to 4 players), online, heard the community is great and wholesome

Bard: A tale of Two Sons - haven't played it, heard a lot and from the latter I think it might be a good position but please review on your own before making a purchase

Descenders - hop on a bike and go downhill, as simple as that in randomly generated environments 🙂

Kerbal Space Program - a game about building space ships and sending them into space - should be self explanatory

As a bonus I'd mention Rocket League as it would be the only true multiplayer one from my suggestions but only a mention given it's free and to me it sounds weird to gift something that is free already...

I've promised my lil cousin (8 years old) that when he comes to meet me at the end of month and he performs in his class tests , I'll gift him a game. Hence i need your help.

I require a game which doesn't scar him for one and can run on an OLD laptop (2 cores of some intel cpu integrated graphics i assume) , is preferably offline and is not 'that' addicting, is cheap or free. extra points for being educational.

p.s. thanks for your help

Minecraft seems to be quite decent at expanding creativity

Though it can be addictive

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Celeste - easy fast platforming, with awesome music, he would enjoy

NOT SURE it will run on old laptop, check minimum requirements

Ori and the blind forest :

NOT SURE it will run on old laptop, check minimum requirements

Cave Story+

Thomas was alone if you want puzzles

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Minecraft seems to be quite decent at expanding creativity

Though it can be addictive

yeah thats a concern

As for the ones already mentioned:

Minecraft - seems like a good idea and there's tons of mods but isn't cheap and might be addictive

Celeste - was given out on Epic so if the kid has an online access he might already have it

Ori - IMO very good proposition although he might lose interest as he'll most likely die a lot. On the other hand you can save very often and dying a lot might teach him patience

Cave Story - don't know that one

Thomas was Alone - same as above

My propositions:

Portal - is cheap, mechanically a puzzle/problem solving game, has decent story and has a co-op

This War of Mine - a lesson of harsh reality, involves micromanagement/planning, very simple mechanically, teaches how devastating war really is without any graphical elements (no gore, blood splashing, etc.)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War - aesthetically pleasing, history served well (just let him know there are 'pickups' to look for), a story he WILL remember (so you will give him a nice childhood memory)

World of Goo - cheap, mechanically simple, problem solving with GREAT physics

Subnautica - calming gameplay (except for leviathans), survival-type (but easily managable), very interesting world, kid would be super interested (I'm playing it right now and both my kids - 9 and 4 - are super into it and I let them watch without a care in the world

Trailmakers - a LEGO-like idea of building vehicles in order to complete challenges with them, brings out creativity

Deep Rock Galactic - be a dwarf, dig for resources solo or in a co-op manner (teams up to 4 players), online, heard the community is great and wholesome

Bard: A tale of Two Sons - haven't played it, heard a lot and from the latter I think it might be a good position but please review on your own before making a purchase

Descenders - hop on a bike and go downhill, as simple as that in randomly generated environments 🙂

Kerbal Space Program - a game about building space ships and sending them into space - should be self explanatory

As a bonus I'd mention Rocket League as it would be the only true multiplayer one from my suggestions but only a mention given it's free and to me it sounds weird to gift something that is free already...