Canon EOS RP vs EOS 250D?

Hi,

I am relatively new to photography, however I am always finding myself using the manual modes on my phone to try and get the most out of my camera. I also have previously borrowed the Nikon 3300 and 5600 and they have been great cameras for everyday use.

I am now looking to buy my own camera and I am interested in hearing people's opinions, especially from those that have more experience in this. I am essentially looking for a camera that will serve me well for many many years and which will hopefully not be outdated too quickly. My biggest worry is that I don't know if cameras have the same issues as smartphone cameras which is that every year a new model comes out that makes the old model look ancient in comparison. Since this is an expensive investment I would like it to provide high quality shots for a very long time and give me a chance to gradually expand into more lenses etc.

On one hand the 250D seems like a good inexpensive everyday choice and I think it would satisfy most of my needs now, I'm just not sure if I will outgrow it too quickly. Also it is almost half the price of the RP and the lenses would also be a bit cheaper. On the other hand, the RP seems like a good introduction to the mirrorless side of things which is where I think photography is moving towards as a whole. It also is full frame so it's not like I would later feel the need to move to full frame like with the 250D. But it is also twice as expensive as the 250D and I'm not sure if it is a worthwhile investment or if it may get outdated soon.

My use case is relatively basic photography things like landscapes, portraits, cars as in exhibitions and overall just trying to improve my skills so my photography looks more artistic and creative and a bit less generic.

Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

If you wanna get an all rounder, get a sony camera.

Mirrorless has its advantage mainly in size.

Improvements in cameras will not be as big jump like in smartphones.

So a 5 year old digital camera can still be usable today, doesn't feel that ancient.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you wanna get an all rounder, get a sony camera.

Mirrorless has its advantage mainly in size.

Improvements in cameras will not be as big jump like in smartphones.

So a 5 year old digital camera can still be usable today, doesn't feel that ancient.

Thanks for your reply! I did consider Sony cameras however I found that one with a similar feature set compared to the RP is significantly more expensive. But not sure if this is worth it?

The RP has a new mount (if i'm not mistaken).

Which means your lens selection will be limited.

Unlike sony or canon dslr mount which exist almost a decade.

Third party brand and also the used market (this is important) can get you cheaper lens.

You need at least 2-3 years for the same access for the RP.

The RP with it's good features at $1000 body is a brilliant offer, but the lens is expensive.

If you do landscape i highly suggest full frame.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Third party brand and also the used market (this is important) can get you cheaper lens.

The RP with it's good features at $1000 body is a brilliant offer, but the lens is expensive.

Lens adapters (that support AF) are only about $60, so that's not too big a deal.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Lens adapters (that support AF) are only about $60, so that's not too big a deal.

Yeah that will work to, but my experience with adapters are not that great.

At least if you're ready to use manual focus, go ahead.

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I'm not saying that as someone who has never used one. I had the EOS R and have the R5. I still have plenty of EF glass. You are not limited to manual focus which is why I said "that support AF."

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Umm…do you know what EF and RF even are? This reads like you read a short Google review and then pasted the gist here.

As someone who has owned two Rs, the ecosystem is pretty solid with EF glass, but also as someone who has an intense dislike of the RP due to its dynamic range at low ISOs, it’s hard to recommend.

TL;DR please do not attempt to discuss topics you do not know much or anything about.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

5 hours ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi,

I am relatively new to photography, however I am always finding myself using the manual modes on my phone to try and get the most out of my camera. I also have previously borrowed the Nikon 3300 and 5600 and they have been great cameras for everyday use.

I am now looking to buy my own camera and I am interested in hearing people's opinions, especially from those that have more experience in this. I am essentially looking for a camera that will serve me well for many many years and which will hopefully not be outdated too quickly. My biggest worry is that I don't know if cameras have the same issues as smartphone cameras which is that every year a new model comes out that makes the old model look ancient in comparison. Since this is an expensive investment I would like it to provide high quality shots for a very long time and give me a chance to gradually expand into more lenses etc.

On one hand the 250D seems like a good inexpensive everyday choice and I think it would satisfy most of my needs now, I'm just not sure if I will outgrow it too quickly. Also it is almost half the price of the RP and the lenses would also be a bit cheaper. On the other hand, the RP seems like a good introduction to the mirrorless side of things which is where I think photography is moving towards as a whole. It also is full frame so it's not like I would later feel the need to move to full frame like with the 250D. But it is also twice as expensive as the 250D and I'm not sure if it is a worthwhile investment or if it may get outdated soon.

My use case is relatively basic photography things like landscapes, portraits, cars as in exhibitions and overall just trying to improve my skills so my photography looks more artistic and creative and a bit less generic.

Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

I’ve used flagships and mid range bodies from every major brand except Nikon because screw Nikon bodies lol. In my experience with Sony, Canon, and Fujifilm, honestly for what you’re describing, Fuji’s ecosystem is quite impressive. They’re very auto friendly with enough physical manual control to allow you to feel like you’re actually the one changing the photo, and the lenses are pretty darn solid too. I don’t buy or recommend cameras new however. A used Fujifilm X-T2 and an XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 would probably suit you well. Just another thing to look into since it seems you currently only are looking at Canon’s offerings. 

As for the “growing out” part, wellll that’s a non issue with most good gear. As you get better and skills progress, the biggest upgrades you will be getting are from better lenses. I started shooting with my EOS R and my Sony A7R II with vintage FD glass and a Nikon macro, simply because I enjoy manual focus. In the time since, I’ve grown as a photographer, and expanded my lens collection, to suit what I can currently do. I’ve never lost the allure of manual control though, so everything I do on my R is manually focused even though it has one of the most advanced AF systems of any consumer camera body 😅

Hope that helps.

Note: I recommend Fujifilm over the choices you described because I don’t feel like an RP or a 250D are great for what you’re describing. If you get the 250D, and a bunch of EF lenses, well then upgrading the body to a full frame will be easy because all of those lenses will be compatible, whereas Fuji doesn’t even make full frame bodies, just really good crop sensor ones. So think about what will be better for you.

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

3 hours ago, The Blackhat said:

TL;DR please do not attempt to discuss topics you do not know much or anything about.

Yes im not familiar with eos R and its compatibility with ef lenses (i clearly said im not sure), doesn't mean i cannot say something. Its a free forum bruh. Just expressing my opinion.

6 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

given canon make a 1st party one it shouldn't be any slower than being on native EF

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

as a 200D/SL2 owner I don't feel like the 250d/sl3 is that great of a body.

I'd look at a used XT-30 over an XT-2. I see them coming with the 15-45 kit lens used for 750$, new they are 1000$ or with the 18-55 for 1300$
An X-S10 is going to have a larger grip and be closer to an XT-4 with in body stabilization for 1400$ with the 18-55 and 1500$ with a 16-80

I'd go X-S10 with the 16-80mm F4 as thats a great focal range and equivalent to a 24-105 on a FF body

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes im not familiar with eos R and its compatibility with ef lenses (i clearly said im not sure), doesn't mean i cannot say something. Its a free forum bruh. Just expressing my opinion.

lol…..

If you don’t know, like I said, don’t pretend to. And when someone corrects you (Den) actually read what they say. It isn’t a matter of what you’re opinion is, just don’t spread false or incorrect information knowingly.

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

On 5/15/2021 at 3:14 PM, The Blackhat said:

I’ve used flagships and mid range bodies from every major brand except Nikon because screw Nikon bodies lol. In my experience with Sony, Canon, and Fujifilm, honestly for what you’re describing, Fuji’s ecosystem is quite impressive. They’re very auto friendly with enough physical manual control to allow you to feel like you’re actually the one changing the photo, and the lenses are pretty darn solid too. I don’t buy or recommend cameras new however. A used Fujifilm X-T2 and an XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 would probably suit you well. Just another thing to look into since it seems you currently only are looking at Canon’s offerings. 

As for the “growing out” part, wellll that’s a non issue with most good gear. As you get better and skills progress, the biggest upgrades you will be getting are from better lenses. I started shooting with my EOS R and my Sony A7R II with vintage FD glass and a Nikon macro, simply because I enjoy manual focus. In the time since, I’ve grown as a photographer, and expanded my lens collection, to suit what I can currently do. I’ve never lost the allure of manual control though, so everything I do on my R is manually focused even though it has one of the most advanced AF systems of any consumer camera body 😅

Hope that helps.

Note: I recommend Fujifilm over the choices you described because I don’t feel like an RP or a 250D are great for what you’re describing. If you get the 250D, and a bunch of EF lenses, well then upgrading the body to a full frame will be easy because all of those lenses will be compatible, whereas Fuji doesn’t even make full frame bodies, just really good crop sensor ones. So think about what will be better for you.

Hi thanks a lot for the advice. Yeah I had my sights on the canon ecosystem for a while after doing some research but I'm open to looking into other systems to find what's best for me. That's interesting to hear about the way the lenses tend to be where you would upgrade as you become more experienced instead of the camera body itself (at least in the beginning). Thanks!

23 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

as a 200D/SL2 owner I don't feel like the 250d/sl3 is that great of a body.

I'd look at a used XT-30 over an XT-2. I see them coming with the 15-45 kit lens used for 750$, new they are 1000$ or with the 18-55 for 1300$
An X-S10 is going to have a larger grip and be closer to an XT-4 with in body stabilization for 1400$ with the 18-55 and 1500$ with a 16-80

I'd go X-S10 with the 16-80mm F4 as thats a great focal range and equivalent to a 24-105 on a FF body

Thanks, it's good to hear from people who have tried the same/similar stuff instead of just trying to compare spec sheets. I will look into those you recommend, thanks!

43 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi thanks a lot for the advice. Yeah I had my sights on the canon ecosystem for a while after doing some research but I'm open to looking into other systems to find what's best for me. That's interesting to hear about the way the lenses tend to be where you would upgrade as you become more experienced instead of the camera body itself (at least in the beginning). Thanks!

Yeah, I spent a very long time and quite a lot of money trying out different ecosystems to figure out what I liked most, so yeah, do as much research as you can based on what you individually want out of a camera. No one else’s style will apply. If Canon’s ecosystem will fit your needs best then there are plenty of good bodies and lenses to choose from.

Lenses will impact the actual look of your images far more than any body upgrade will. A new faster lens with sharper details and better background defocusing will impact the look of your shots much more than an extra 8 MP and some better low light performance with a new body. The point where you’ll want to upgrade is when the newer bodies with newer features become appealing enough to be worth your money. I could probably go the rest of my life with just my EOS R and continue to collect dozens of lenses. I won’t, though, because I want the feature set that the EOS R5 has and will get one eventually. Photography is one big experiment in my opinion and you’ll never start out with exactly what you’ll end up with, so just take your time.

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

*quoting the title* The 250d is a entry level dslr. and the RP is entry level full frame. Like the 250d is a Toyota and the RP is like a Audi so its not apples to apples.

8 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

*quoting the title* The 250d is a entry level dslr. and the RP is entry level full frame. Like the 250d is a Toyota and the RP is like a Audi so its not apples to apples.

Man…I wish to say this as respectfully as possible, but you ask so many questions about this type of stuff in your own threads, and have so many of them, that I don’t think you are qualified to give answers to someone else’s thread when they are looking for actually constructive info.

Black Lightning

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
MSI R9 290X Lightning

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

6 hours ago, The Blackhat said:

Man…I wish to say this as respectfully as possible, but you ask so many questions about this type of stuff in your own threads, and have so many of them, that I don’t think you are qualified to give answers to someone else’s thread when they are looking for actually constructive info.

Okay. Ill stay out fair enough.