Raid 5 future expansion with raid controller have the feature

Go to solution Solved by iPhoenix,

If you're going to do RAID, I suggest doing it RIGHT.  It's going to be way less of a headache in the long run. 

Really there's only one option in my mind.  Go with an LSI RAID card.  Something that has 8 internal headers.

All of the current generation stuff also will provide support for "Live" rebuilding so that you essentially get a larger array without all the normal wait. 

I have a old system which i am planning to convert into a home server/cloud. I am planning to have 4x4TB in the system initially.

But in the future i am planning to add additional drive into the raid array (up to 8+ drives). which raid(s) out there in the market has out of box feature like that.

Also I am not planning to break the bank. Some thing around 300 - 400 dollar I am willing to invest. 

I have a old system which i am planning to convert into a home server/cloud. I am planning to have 4x4TB in the system initially.

But in the future i am planning to add additional drive into the raid array (up to 8+ drives). which raid(s) out there in the market has out of box feature like that.

Also I am not planning to break the bank. Some thing around 300 - 400 dollar I am willing to invest. 

some specs of your old PC would help a lot in providing an answer.

Secondly, yes you can add more drives to your RAID array. But, rebuilding the whole RAID system as each new drive is added is a very lengthy procedure and puts a lot of strain on the HDDs.

If you're going to do RAID, I suggest doing it RIGHT.  It's going to be way less of a headache in the long run. 

Really there's only one option in my mind.  Go with an LSI RAID card.  Something that has 8 internal headers.

All of the current generation stuff also will provide support for "Live" rebuilding so that you essentially get a larger array without all the normal wait. 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts.