Help Weird Artifacts on screen when applications are open

magicammo

Hello I'm hoping someone can help me. So every now and then when I have applications open I get this strange artifacting on screen like in the picture below. Some times its like negative colors to where you cant see any of the images its just bars of multiple colors. This never happens on the desktop or when playing games could this be an issue with my gpu VRAM? I sure hope not with the price of GPUs right now lmao.

picture.thumb.png.9a0b2fcb5735e465234ae0c53cccbe05.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

Unless your GPU is overheating, it's either a corrupted driver/OS install, or a failing GPU.

But if it's not happening under load, then I"m at a loss, as that when failures make themselves manifest. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Is the card in question the GTX 1080 from your signature? I would open up an overclocking utility and make sure all the values are reset to zero. 

Then press (windows)+ctrl+shift+B as this reboots the display driver. 

If that doesn't fix it. Power cycle your computer with either a reset button if you have one on your front panel or by pressing the restart button in the start menu. Restart, not shutdown, as per the most recent Techquickie video on the sidebar. 

I would then recommend using Display Driver Uninstaller (just google DDU) to completely remove the display driver, then use the basic windows drivers to navigate to the nvidia or radeon website and download the latest drivers for your GPU. Google latest (your gpu) drivers and it will probably lead you to the right place. 

DDU does require you to reboot into safe mode, and you can just google how to do that too. 

I have had problems like these occur upon opening up non-gaming applications, and one time it only appeared inside of Radeon Adrenalin software. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

25 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Is the card in question the GTX 1080 from your signature? I would open up an overclocking utility and make sure all the values are reset to zero. 

If that doesn't fix it. Power cycle your computer with either a reset button if you have one on your front panel or by pressing the restart button in the start menu. Restart, not shutdown, as per the most recent Techquickie video on the sidebar. 

I would then recommend using Display Driver Uninstaller (just google DDU) to completely remove the display driver, then use the basic windows drivers to navigate to the nvidia or radeon website and download the latest drivers for your GPU. Google latest (your gpu) drivers and it will probably lead you to the right place. 

DDU does require you to reboot into safe mode, and you can just google how to do that too. 

I have had problems like these occur upon opening up non-gaming applications, and one time it only appeared inside of Radeon Adrenalin software. 

No the card im using is a 1080 ti now. I havnt used any overclocking utility tho i have it installed haha. Ill give the other stuff you mentioned a try. Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated!

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unless your GPU is overheating, it's either a corrupted driver/OS install, or a failing GPU.

But if it's not happening under load, then I"m at a loss, as that when failures make themselves manifest. 

Yea thats why I came here to see if anyone else had an idea lol. didnt make any sense to me if its fine while underload just occasionally why using applications 😛 

5 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

I tried the first solution to reboot the display driver and so far so good its been a few hours since i performed it.