Does the Ryzen 9 5900x and RTX 3060 work ok together?

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
7 minutes ago, Percival2644 said:

Yeah I see where your coming from, so what combo should I go with do you think?

from high end to low end gaming rig:

CPU     GPU

5800x   3090

5600x   3070

3060 ti

that's how i would build my system, if it was for games

5600x + a 3080 would work fine too, for games, but i like having some extra cpu headroom

plus, it also depends on your gaming resolution, what games u play, and graphical settings

the list above is very very generic and isn't applicable for all type of scenarios

I'm going to get a pre built pc and wondering if Ryzen 9 5900x and RTX 3060 work ok together. I'm going higher with the cpu because it is high end/new and I will be able to game on it for years and years probably, and with a gpu once the shortage is done, it is easier to replace and I will upgrade. It is expensive to upgrade from that 3060 to something better on the website I'm using, Cyberpowerpc.com, so I'm not sure what to do now I guess. Thanks!

for a gaming rig, that's a weird combo to make

overspending on CPU while underspending on GPU, so your overall gaming perf wouldnt be as great as it can be with a given budget

though it works "ok" together as in it works

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

overspending on CPU while underspending on GPU, so your overall gaming perf wouldnt be great

exactly what he said

4 minutes ago, Percival2644 said:

I'm going to get a pre built pc and wondering if Ryzen 9 5900x and RTX 3060 work ok together. I'm going higher with the cpu because it is high end/new and I will be able to game on it for years and years probably, and with a gpu once the shortage is done, it is easier to replace and I will upgrade. It is expensive to upgrade from that 3060 to something better on the website I'm using, Cyberpowerpc.com, so I'm not sure what to do now I guess. Thanks!

You're going to get far better performance in all but perhaps one or two gaming tasks by going with a cpu such as the 5600x or 11400, and a better gpu such as the 3080. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

overspending on CPU while underspending on GPU, so your overall gaming perf wouldnt be as great as it can be with a given budget

though it works "ok" together as in it works

Yeah I see where your coming from, so what combo should I go with do you think? Also I am overspending on the cpu just because in a few years time I'm replacing my gpu with a better one, so instead of having to replace cpu and gpu with each other, just the gpu.

Edited by Percival2644

7 minutes ago, Percival2644 said:

Yeah I see where your coming from, so what combo should I go with do you think?

CPU     GPU

5800x   3090

5600x   3070

3060 ti

5600x + a 3080 would work fine too, for games, but i like having some extra cpu headroom

plus, it also depends on your gaming resolution, what games u play, and graphical settings

the list above is very very generic and isn't applicable for all type of scenarios

its fine, but very high CPU.

sadly I guess you can't get an 3060 ti at the prices today? ;/

29 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

CPU     GPU

5800x   3090

5600x   3070

3060 ti

Thank you very much! Also, what cpu would you recommend for say a radeon 6700xt? 

Just now, Percival2644 said:

Thank you very much! Also, what cpu would you recommend for say a radeon 6700xt? 

it's equivalent to a 3070-ish card right?

so a 5800x, if you like to keep your CPU for longer period of time

5600x if you upgrade every 3-4 years or less

the thing about going too overkill is that... by the time games can utilise 12 cores or smth, you probably lack the single core performance to play it well

so it's best to stay mid to mid-high end and upgrade every so often when you feel like you need the boost, that's my opinion

5600x should do just fine, if you are just loking to game.

There might come with some Intel options for cheaper with their newer content?

Also if I am not mistaken the 6700 was not their mid tier GPU? but yes it would do fine with that or higher.

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it's equivalent to a 3070-ish card right?

so a 5800x, if you like to keep your CPU for longer period of time

5600x if you upgrade every 3-4 years or less

the thing about going too overkill is that... by the time games can utilise 12 cores or smth, you probably lack the single core performance to play it well

so it's best to stay mid to mid-high end and upgrade every so often when you feel like you need the boost, that's my opinion

Thank you once again! I'm gonna go with the 5800x and Radeon rx 6700xt, since it's a bit cheaper than a 3070 and I do believe it is VR ready also right? Anyway, thank you!

1 minute ago, Percival2644 said:

I do believe it is VR ready also right?

im not too into VR scene but it should do just fine

it's cheaper because it lacks certain features that nvidia GPU has, like ray tracing, DLSS, NVENC to name a few

Now that you've mentioned it I might get the 3070 instead for the extra, as I have seen benchmarks of it crushing the 6700xt and some others, so I think I'll do that instead:)

Just now, Percival2644 said:

Now that you've mentioned it I might get the 3070 instead for the extra, as I have seen benchmarks of it crushing the 6700xt and some others, so I think I'll do that instead:)

you'll only benefit from those features if you actually use them though

but im personally a fan of nvidia over radeon due to those features alone, so yea (i might be biased, my experience with radeon wasnt great)

1 minute ago, Percival2644 said:

They do good in each of their own fields, only that you get more "features" with the current cards from Nvidia.

There might be something for AMD at some point, but still not sure and rayracing is kinda not working for AMD currently?

I think it's fine. It is sort of a strange combo, but only in the sense that it's a high end CPU paired with a midrange GPU.

I'm personally starting to sour on the 5600X, because it's seeming more and more likely that 8 cores is going to quickly become the new norm for gaming. Now that the next gen consoles have gone there, it's only a matter of time before PC follows suit, especially when devs are developing the same game for console and PC. It's not exactly "expensive" as far as CPUs go, but it's still an awful lot to recommend something that may not be good enough in a year or so.

Taking that out, AMD doesn't honestly have much else on offer right now. The 5800X gets you to 8 core, but it's a really bad value at its MSRP. You could go with a previous gen, like a 3700X or even a 3900X, but the performance difference between Zen 2 and 3 is real, especially when things like the curve optimizer, exclusive to Zen 3 are taken into account.

That pretty much just leaves the 5900X and 5950x. The 5950X is extreme overkill, also not a great value, and honestly not that much better than the 5900X unless you absolutely need the extra 8 threads. So, 5900X is easily the best recommendation on the AMD side, at least if you can get it at MSRP. At $550, it's not cheap, but it is still a great value for what you're getting. If AMD dropped the 5600X and positioned the 5800X in its spot, it would make a ton more sense. Over the course of the life of these chips, once they're all in stock, I think that's how it will shake out anyways, with inevitable sales and discounts.

The 3060 is a decent enough card, especially if you're playing at 1080p. It can definitely do 1440p, but you might start to struggle with AAA titles without dropping a quality slider or two.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse