CD says 100MB used while empty preventing burn

Kanna

So my DVD or CD or what it is is 800MB (yes it's small) and it says space on it has been used which is preventing me from burning music onto it with media player please help with any solution

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

The CD you are trying to use is probably a non-rewritable one and has had data written to it in the past. The solution is to use a fresh CD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

First off, I've never heard of an 800MB CD. I know of 650MB and 700MB CDs, but never an 800MB one.

Also, only CD-RWs can be rewritten. If you have a CD-R, you may be able to add data, but it's not removable. What exactly are you trying to burn to it?

elephants

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The CD you are trying to use is probably a non-rewritable one and has had data written to it in the past. The solution is to use a fresh CD.

That sucks big time because this is not used ever to my knowledge, the cover thing in explorer says CD-ROM but the label is DVD-RW is that because it's what my disc drive supports?

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

First off, I've never heard of an 800MB CD. I know of 650MB and 700MB CDs, but never an 800MB one.

Also, only CD-RWs can be rewritten. If you have a CD-R, you may be able to add data, but it's not removable. What exactly are you trying to burn to it?

I'm trying to burn music

Reminder⚠️

What he says ^ .

You can create multi-session CD-R / DVD-R / DVD+R discs, which allows you to burn a disc partially and add files to it at a later time, or delete previously burned files (the file names are simply removed from list of contents, physically the old content is still on disc).

Once the disc is finalized, you can no longer add files to it.  Basically, think of it like when you want to add files to the disc, the burner / software reads the list of files, burns the new files, adds the new files to the list of contents and burns a fresh copy of the list of contents... you'll always see the newest list of contents.

DVD-RW discs won't play in CD players. 

If it's actually DVD-RW  or CD-RW , you can copy the existing content to your PC then format the disc and burn the new files along with the old content on the disc.

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

That sucks big time because this is not used ever to my knowledge, the cover thing in explorer says CD-ROM but the label is DVD-RW is that because it's what my disc drive supports?

What is written on the actual physical disc?

It would have to be a very strange and nonstandard DVD to have a capacity of only 800MB. But then, data CDs have a capacity of 700MB so.... who knows!

Optical drives usually report themselves to the operating system as the highest standard of media that they support, rather than the media that is in the drive at that moment - in this case this would be DVD-RW, which explains why that's appearing.

Can you try another CD, preferably one from a sealed package, and see what happens?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What he says ^ .

You can create multi-session CD-R / DVD-R / DVD+R discs, which allows you to burn a disc partially and add files to it at a later time, or delete previously burned files (the file names are simply removed from list of contents, physically the old content is still on disc).

Once the disc is finalized, you can no longer add files to it.  Basically, think of it like when you want to add files to the disc, the burner / software reads the list of files, burns the new files, adds the new files to the list of contents and burns a fresh copy of the list of contents... you'll always see the newest list of contents.

DVD-RW discs won't play in CD players. 

If it's actually DVD-RW  or CD-RW , you can copy the existing content to your PC then format the disc and burn the new files along with the old content on the disc.

I know that I selected live storage in windows which made some weird thing and dropped a song there which ofc none of my players could see, there is no content on the CD as of now that I can see

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What is written on the actual physical disc?

It would have to be a very strange and nonstandard DVD to have a capacity of only 800MB. But then, data CDs have a capacity of 700MB so.... who knows!

Optical drives usually report themselves to the operating system as the highest standard of media that they support, rather than the media that is in the drive at that moment - in this case this would be DVD-RW, which explains why that's appearing.

Can you try another CD, preferably one from a sealed package, and see what happens?

As in written you mean text it's a blank one where you write something with a marker, it is very strange indeed with the capacity, figured that was the case because I have a slimline DVD-RW in my PC, I don't have a brand-new CD anywhere only like DVD-R that is probably not new 

Reminder⚠️

29 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

High-capacity CD-Rs with 800 MB/90 min do indeed exist: https://www.techinn.com/en/philips-cd-r-800mb-high-capacity-multi-speed-25-units/137848741/p

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

37 minutes ago, Kanna said:

If it says CD-ROM then it's a CD-ROM. The label must be wrong.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Even 99 min discs exist.  I have 128GB BDXLs on my desk, but I still kinda wanna get some 99min discs just to goof around with for fun.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If it says CD-ROM then it's a CD-ROM. The label must be wrong.

Nah I figured out what it was it was what my DVD player in PC was and not that the disc was DVD-RW

Reminder⚠️

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

I know that I selected live storage in windows

Then you turned the disc into basically the ancestor of a USB drive where you can drop files one at a time instead of burning the disc in one go. That will not be readable by music players and the whole filesystem to handle that is why it used some space.

If your music player can view directories/files you need to use the other mode, where you burn the disc in one go. If it needs an actual audio CD then you need 3rd party software, Windows can't burn those natively.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Then you turned the disc into basically the ancestor of a USB drive where you can drop files one at a time instead of burning the disc in one go. That will not be readable by music players and the whole filesystem to handle that is why it used some space.

If your music player can view directories/files you need to use the other mode, where you burn the disc in one go. If it needs an actual audio CD then you need 3rd party software, Windows can't burn those natively.

What software would you recommend so I can normally burn songs onto it?

Reminder⚠️

I use imgBurn - it's freeware The Official ImgBurn Website

During the installation, a page in the setup process may offer to install Google Toolbar or a free antivirus, but just pay attention at the screen and click on the Skip or Cancel or uncheck and it will not install anything you don't want.

Otherwise it's completely free and legit and safe and very good.

For regular files and folders , or to make a cd with mp3 files on it (if the cd player can play back mp3 files), you can simply use  "Write files/folders to disc"

For audio cd  as in a disc with audio tracks, and up to 74-99 minutes of audio, you have to use Tools > Create CUE file...

image.png.63032273fbc343a0c2ddc42b4546a867.png

A window like the one below will open up, and you can simply drag your mp3 files into that big empty space and wait a bit for the program to scan them ...

You have below an example.

You can add a gap between songs, or set to 0 if you want to play as a whole disc mix without pauses between songs

You can enable cd-text if you want and fill up artist and song title if your cd player supports it

When done, hit OK and save it somewhere as a cue file.

image.png.5ccd67585de2e010291acf5f9cf87c41.png

Now you can go back in the main interface and select  "Write image file to disc" and select the CUE file :

image.png.6d530601d875025f1436f5d0d987c21e.png

Select at Source your CUE file and then select burn speed from the right (for >80min I'd suggest sticking to minimum speed supported by disc, probably 8x or something like that) and then hit the big button at the bottom of the window

image.png.6a5ad4b82f654102f482fdea7fe86a25.png

later edit:  Also imgburn supports other formats besides mp3, as long as there's direct show codecs installed for that extension. The author of the software gives some links for some directShow codecs but keep in mind the post is from 2009 ... scroll to the bottom, last post :

https://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/5555-how-to-write-an-audio-cd-from-music-files-using-imgburn/