OnePlus 7T vs Google Pixel 4a / Amazon Q's.

Vectraat

1.) Despite being an older phone, I'm assuming the OnePlus 7T has a significantly faster processor than the Pixel 4a? 

4a = Snapdragon 730G 

7T = Snapdragon 855 Plus

2.) If you've owned either phone, how have they held up over time in terms of performance and battery life? I'm primarily concerned about the Pixel 4a's longevity because It's a cheap overpriced phone and Google doesn't seem to have the best track record when it comes performance-over-time.

3.) Has anyone here ordered a phone from Amazon before? Do you know if you get a warranty with the manufacturer or only a 30 day warranty with Amazon? I can actually buy a new OnePlus 7T phone from Amazon for $129 cheaper than what it's listed for on the official OnePlus site, so I'm wondering what the drawback might be. I'm Canadian, it's a US model but other Canadians in the comments section are saying It works for them on Canadian carriers. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GGFMMCH/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

5 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I'm primarily concerned about the Pixel 4a's longevity because It's a cheap overpriced phone

Have you read literally any of the reviews for the Pixel 4a? It's widely considered to be the Android budget phone champion as of right now. I've even read reviews that claim it's a better buy than the new iPhone SE. I don't know where you're getting the idea that the phone's overpriced. For $350 it offers more features and performance than pretty much any other phone on the market at that price.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

48 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Have you read literally any of the reviews for the Pixel 4a? It's widely considered to be the Android budget phone champion as of right now. I've even read reviews that claim it's a better buy than the new iPhone SE. I don't know where you're getting the idea that the phone's overpriced. For $350 it offers more features and performance than pretty much any other phone on the market at that price.

I watched plenty of Pixel 4a video reviews when it was first launched. A few reviewers were saying they didn't feel the phone was fast enough, but most didn't seem to have an issue with the speed and fluidity of the device. I've seen the phone lag (pretty badly) a few times during reviews. I'm not talking about a nano-second sort've stutter, I'm talking about the phone locking up for close to 2 seconds when scrolling. I would not want to experience something like this with a brand new device and it leads to me to question how the device will perform after a year especially when even their flagships have experienced various issues. Maybe these incidents with the 4a were one-offs, but I'm not sure I want to find out -- hence I'm here asking if anyone has any long-term experience with the phone. As far as being over-priced, you can find better performing phones at the same price-point. While the camera won't be as good, I care less about the camera and more about speed/fluidity/longevity. This becomes even more apparent when comparing the Pixel 5 to competing devices. 

4 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

As far as being over-priced, you can find better performing phones at the same price-point. While the camera won't be as good, I care less about the camera and more about speed/fluidity/longevity. This becomes even more apparent when comparing the Pixel 5 to competing devices. 

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. For me, having a headphone jack and NFC is very important, and you won't find many other $350 phones that have both those features.

I've never heard of or seen the stuttering myself, but I guess I just haven't watched enough review videos. Everything I've seen says it performs great for the price.

One thing I will note that you should worry about when getting an older phone like the 7t is long term system update support. You're going to be getting android updates for a lot longer with the Google pixel compared to buying a different phone that's already been around for 2 years.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

One thing I will note that you should worry about when getting an older phone like the 7t is long term system update support. You're going to be getting android updates for a lot longer with the Google pixel compared to buying a different phone that's already been around for 2 years.

Yes, updates (due to the 7T being an older phone) was something I was a little concerned about, but I don't know how much I even care. I'm still using a OnePlus 3T (It's been 4 years and 4 months). I'm sure this isn't advisable but I did stop updating the phone around a year and a half ago because I noticed that the phone was slowing down a little bit after updates. So I suppose I don't really care all that much about updates. Maybe I should, but I just don't.

I really don't even do anything that intensive with my phones. I don't play games, I don't take a lot of photos or video (having said that, I wouldn't want the photos/video to be looking ass). I do fairly basic shit, hence why I'm not looking to buy a flagship because it would be a waste of $. However, when I'm doing basic things such as opening e-mail, playing music, scrolling through web pages and social media, using BT and a bit of Google Maps when driving...... if the phone lags doing that kinda shit, It's going to piss me off. A lot of the flagship phones I've used have basically become borderline useless after a year to a year and a half from either extremely terrible slow-down or 20 minutes of screen on time before It's dead. This OnePlus 3T has been a champ in terms of performance-over-time even with updates slowing it down. 

13 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I really don't even do anything that intensive with my phones. I don't play games, I don't take a lot of photos or video (having said that, I wouldn't want the photos/video to be looking ass). I do fairly basic shit, hence why I'm not looking to buy a flagship because it would be a waste of $. However, when I'm doing basic things such as opening e-mail, playing music, scrolling through web pages and social media, using BT and a bit of Google Maps when driving...... if the phone lags doing that kinda shit, It's going to piss me off. A lot of the flagship phones I've used have basically become borderline useless after a year to a year and a half from either extremely terrible slow-down or 20 minutes of screen on time before It's dead. This OnePlus 3T has been a champ in terms of performance-over-time even with updates slowing it down. 

I'm in basically the same situation myself. My Galaxy S8 is starting to show its age, and I've been looking into cheap options to upgrade to. The Pixel 4a is the phone I've been eyeing, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I unfortunately can't comment on its performance as a daily driver for basic tasks. Another phone I've been considering that you might be interested in is the Motorola Moto One 5G: https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-motorola-one-5g/p?skuId=459.

Both it and the Pixel 4A have a headphone jack and NFC (my main selling points), but the thing that's been drawing me to the pixel over the Motorola is that I really love Google's simple android UI, software features, and update support. But the Motorola may be a good option for you to check out. There's also the slightly upgraded Motorola One 5G Ace if you're willing to spend a bit more money: https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-motorola-one-5g-ace/p?skuId=537

Edit: Just thought to check the Motorola Canada website and it looks like the One 5G may not actually be available in Canada. But it looks like the 5G Ace is.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

This guy talks about the Pixel 4a performance-over-time.

Time stamped it.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Vectraat said:

That Amazon link is for a TMobile version. TMobile versions are single Sim, single IMEI. You can put dual sim trays in TMobile versions and they will work in alot cases, but both slots have the same IMEI number. The most likely thing to cause issues is when the Sims are on the same network.  A true "unbranded" OnePlus will be dual sim, dual IMEI.

TMobile versions tend to cost less and be worth a little less. They also tend to complicate things a little when flashing custom ROMs.  TMobile devices are also not unlocked the same way.

That seller seems to be trying to hide something. A TMobile 7T does not equal a 7T in my opinion. All of the above is true for most recent one plus devices.

I've bought several devices from Google, OnePlus and Amazon.  Only had one that was a failure quite sometime after having it and that was a old Nexus phone, Google replaced it no problems. I've ordered 5 from OnePlus, no issues.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:02 PM, OhioYJ said:

That Amazon link is for a TMobile version. TMobile versions are single Sim, single IMEI. You can put dual sim trays in TMobile versions and they will work in alot cases, but both slots have the same IMEI number. The most likely thing to cause issues is when the Sims are on the same network.  A true "unbranded" OnePlus will be dual sim, dual IMEI.

TMobile versions tend to cost less and be worth a little less. They also tend to complicate things a little when flashing custom ROMs.  TMobile devices are also not unlocked the same way.

That seller seems to be trying to hide something. A TMobile 7T does not equal a 7T in my opinion. All of the above is true for most recent one plus devices.

I've bought several devices from Google, OnePlus and Amazon.  Only had one that was a failure quite sometime after having it and that was a old Nexus phone, Google replaced it no problems. I've ordered 5 from OnePlus, no issues.

I see. Thanks for the response. I don't think I need more than a second SIM? I don't travel any where. And is it a big deal to only have a single IMEI? I wonder if OnePlus would honor the warranty even if I'm buying it through Amazon. So, I take it based on your response you wouldn't get the One Plus 7T from Amazon? 

For what it's worth, I went with a used 7T and absolutely love it.
The bigger 90Hz screen and faster SoC were important to me over an extra year of software support.
The 7T should get Android 12 and another full year of security updates anyway. Camera has been really decent, much better than review would suggest. Highly recommend.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Vectraat said:

I see. Thanks for the response. I don't think I need more than a second SIM? I don't travel any where. And is it a big deal to only have a single IMEI? I wonder if OnePlus would honor the warranty even if I'm buying it through Amazon. So, I take it based on your response you wouldn't get the One Plus 7T from Amazon? 

The single IMEI / single Sim isn't a big deal. Most people only use one sim anyways. What concerns me is the seller is trying to hide something. The phones are clearly not new, as they are TMobile phones that I would assume from the description the seller has converted to international phones.  This can be done easily.

OnePlus and TMobile both sell the TMobile version cheaper than an international / regular 7T.  Not sure what it is for you locally.

That is what bothers me. As mentioned I still like OnePlus devices, carrying one right now, posting this from an 8T.

8 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

The single IMEI / single Sim isn't a big deal. Most people only use one sim anyways. What concerns me is the seller is trying to hide something. The phones are clearly not new, as they are TMobile phones that I would assume from the description the seller has converted to international phones.  This can be done easily.

OnePlus and TMobile both sell the TMobile version cheaper than an international / regular 7T.  Not sure what it is for you locally.

That is what bothers me. As mentioned I still like OnePlus devices, carrying one right now, posting this from an 8T.

Yeah, that would kinda bug me. If he was only converting the phones from TMobile to international then putting them back in their respective boxes all nice 'n neat I suppose I'd be alright with that considering the discount. But I have no idea if the phone I get has been heavily used then refurbished and converted to an international device. That's definitely not something I'd be cool with. 

"Not sure what it is for you locally" The price? I can't buy the 7T locally, but I can buy it from the Canadian version of the One Plus site for $669, though, it does also show as $799 regularly which is also the cost of the 8T. It's a bit confusing... An agent I spoke to said they are putting a pause on the sale of that device via their online store citing the need to re-price due to the cost of components or something like that. 

I had been looking at the 8T compared to the 7T, but I'm not sure if it's a worth-while upgrade for me. 90 hz vs 120 hz display, camera really ain't much better? And so forth.... If I was able to get the 7T for $669 that would be a $130 difference before taxes between the two devices. 

On 5/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, Vectraat said:

"Not sure what it is for you locally" The price? I can't buy the 7T locally, but I can buy it from the Canadian version of the One Plus site for $669, though, it does also show as $799 regularly which is also the cost of the 8T. It's a bit confusing... An agent I spoke to said they are putting a pause on the sale of that device via their online store citing the need to re-price due to the cost of components or something like that. 

I had been looking at the 8T compared to the 7T, but I'm not sure if it's a worth-while upgrade for me. 90 hz vs 120 hz display, camera really ain't much better? And so forth.... If I was able to get the 7T for $669 that would be a $130 difference before taxes between the two devices. 

Here in the US, there are all still listed for sale (so these prices are USD). You can get the 7T for $399 (non T-Mobile, or international) or Tmobile for $399. Not sure why you would buy the TMobile version for the same price?  The 8 is $499, and the 8T is $599.  I'm currently using the 8T.  I jumped from the 6T to the 8T when I saw the 8T had Lineage OS support.