Can't delete games from Windows Store

NZSkuxx

Hi all,

I downloaded Halo on windows store and for some reason it created two folders. I can't delete a folder called "Microsoft.Chelan_1.2282.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe" and I'm unable to delete it.

"You require permission from DESKTOP-XXXXXXX/USERNAME to make changes to this folder". I've tried security and permission settings. This is my only user account and it's admin.

It's taking up 130gb of my 256gb ssd lol

can you uninstall it directly within the windows store?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

windows prevents you from modifying the game files directly and it is very hard to gain access to delete files that windows has protected (but still possible). You need to go to the store and uninstall it from there. 

24 minutes ago, Arika S said:

can you uninstall it directly within the windows store?

1 minute ago, The_Vaccine said:

windows prevents you from modifying the game files directly and it is very hard to gain access to delete files that windows has protected (but still possible). You need to go to the store and uninstall it from there. 

Had the same problem a while ago,tried deleting it from the store,didn't work then tried to delete the files,didn't work and now I'm stuck with 20GB of storage taken up that I can't delete.

It doesn't appear on the store anymore but the files are still there.

1 minute ago, Cheburek said:

What you can try and do is run the disk cleanup program and also restart your computer and install updates. When you install updates and restart your computer a few times, windows will run some background tasks slowly since for some reason it doesnt do many important things at once. 

then you can run disk cleanup and remove those files if they still exist. 

I clearly tried uninstalling through the regular way.

It's nowhere on my PC.. It doesn't even show in Add/Remove.

21 hours ago, Cheburek said:

Had the same problem a while ago,tried deleting it from the store,didn't work then tried to delete the files,didn't work and now I'm stuck with 20GB of storage taken up that I can't delete.

To you and the OP, give this registry tweak a try. Adds a "take ownership" option to right click context menus, and it works fantastic for deleting all the Windows Store BS that you can't normally nuke. Just used it recently to nuke some Store installs when making an externalized drive internal again broke said installs, even though the drive letters were still the same.

InstallTakeOwnership.reg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)