Website Feedback

Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,
2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Does that also include no CSS? I mean, CSS is not HTML, but any even remotely modern website is bound to make use of at least some CSS, so that part kind of needs clarification.

I mean, it has a decently nice nav bar, so it would have to contain CSS.

OP:

I think you should have some CSS for the URLs.

Also, what does the marking guide of your assignment say?

I know when I did a unit called "Creating Web Applications", not a lot of the marks were allocated to website styling and layout (and you had to do pretty badly to have marks taken off for it). The marks were given to stuff like

• Uses all requested HTML Tags
  • Uses all requested CSS attribute selectors and styling
  • is xhtml compliant
  • includes 2 additional features that weren't taught in this unit

I have provided the marking guide for the unit I did. Probably not particularly useful, but it may help a little.

Spoiler

image.png.d5d6aa029837fe371c2bf69a2ffc50e7.png

image.png.32184e566bd86290215ff44635f027f6.png

image.png.808b3164247f52cc92b8b690e74b2dac.png

image.png.b278f0d48f95944383a51485b619d078.png

Hello 🙂

I am a current 1st year college student in the UK and I have come on here for some feedback on my Web Design Assignment. Don't worry, I'm not going to link to some dodgy free-host, instead just check below for an image attachment of the website because that's it all it is. It's just a simple one page website with nothing too fancy. 

I more just wanna get feedback on the design and everything like that over like someone telling me that I could've used React or something like that. The assignment specified RAW HTML with no use of something like React or Vue. It's my first website design from scratch and I did it all in about 5-6 hours and I just want to know how it looks. I can put it on a free host if that's what you'd prefer but I cannot upload it to somewhere like Github due to how my assignment works. None of the information on the website is actually true and is all just made up for a made up company that we had to base our assignment off of. 

Any feedback would be appreciated! 

Many Thanks 

P.S. It might help opening the image in a separate tab as it's just a full page screenshot of the website. 

screencapture-127-0-0-1-3001-index-html-2021-05-07-01_16_41.png

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Boot: Crucial P2 500GB (M.2)

SSD: Crucial BX500 1TB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W

Case: IONZ KZ10

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Google Pixel 6 (128GB)

Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 3

Microphone: Blue Snowball Ice

Speakers: Creative T100

It looks nice.

Some feedback:

I'd put the most important stuff first in the menu ...  "About us" should go all the way to the right, near Contact us 

Quite a lot of empty space to the left of that candle, seems like the perfect place to put a small paragraph or a quote or a something ... imagine some italic/bold with some shadow white/cream text there.

The Free Scented Candle picture has to go ... pick either actual pictures, or go with cartoonish / drawings / lineart stuff .. don't mix them... At the very least, add some rounded corners to that picture so it won't contrast that much.

Also, if it was me ... I realize this is just a silly homework/school project ... but that would actually bother me, I'd  suggest losing the random perfume / replace it with random pick from a list of scents you like... for example have it say "Select the top 10 scents you love in your profile to receive a free candle with one of your preferred scents"  

I HATE some perfumes like  yellow watermelon (whatever it's called), to me it smells like rotten banana.

Maybe put the orange stars under the person's name and have that text to the right of name and stars, and aligned left / justify... maybe add a speech baloon / popup graphic with the arrow pointing to the name  

add a bit of spacing between the icons for contact  email etc and the lines of  text.

27 minutes ago, Stentorian said:

The assignment specified RAW HTML

Does that also include no CSS? I mean, CSS is not HTML, but any even remotely modern website is bound to make use of at least some CSS, so that part kind of needs clarification.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

OP:

I know when I did a unit called "Creating Web Applications", not a lot of the marks were allocated to website styling and layout (and you had to do pretty badly to have marks taken off for it). The marks were given to stuff like

• is xhtml compliant

I have provided the marking guide for the unit I did. Probably not particularly useful, but it may help a little.

Spoiler

22 hours ago, mariushm said:

It looks nice.

Some feedback:

I'd put the most important stuff first in the menu ...  "About us" should go all the way to the right, near Contact us 

Quite a lot of empty space to the left of that candle, seems like the perfect place to put a small paragraph or a quote or a something ... imagine some italic/bold with some shadow white/cream text there.

The Free Scented Candle picture has to go ... pick either actual pictures, or go with cartoonish / drawings / lineart stuff .. don't mix them... At the very least, add some rounded corners to that picture so it won't contrast that much.

Also, if it was me ... I realize this is just a silly homework/school project ... but that would actually bother me, I'd  suggest losing the random perfume / replace it with random pick from a list of scents you like... for example have it say "Select the top 10 scents you love in your profile to receive a free candle with one of your preferred scents"  

I HATE some perfumes like  yellow watermelon (whatever it's called), to me it smells like rotten banana.

Maybe put the orange stars under the person's name and have that text to the right of name and stars, and aligned left / justify... maybe add a speech baloon / popup graphic with the arrow pointing to the name  

add a bit of spacing between the icons for contact  email etc and the lines of  text.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I will take all this into account when I have the time to work on it next. I appreciate all of the feedback. When you talk about the menu, I presume you mean the navbar. The reason why it is formatted the way that it is is because it follows after the site's layout. The gallery is supposed to be a separate page but I might just remove it from the website all in all because I have an Instagram account linked and in a real world scenario, would be able to just embed the Instagram feed into the website. 

22 hours ago, WereCatf said:

As mentioned by comicsansms, there is the involvement of CSS. Quite a decent chunk of it to be honest. There's also JavaScript for the image and review slideshow. When I said RAW HTML, I meant more no use of something like PHP or front end libraries like Vue or React.

20 hours ago, comicsansms said:

OP:

• is xhtml compliant

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the feedback! What would you suggest doing when it comes to the URL's as I don't necessarily know how to make them look nice? 

I have attached the marking guide to this message (removing any personal information). I know that compatibility was one of the points of marking, so whether it works on mobile or other devices which I know for a fact doesn't work at this moment in time. 

Assignment 2.pdf

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Boot: Crucial P2 500GB (M.2)

SSD: Crucial BX500 1TB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W