Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Wi-Fi - 02 Error code after POST

Hi all,

Yesterday I've updated the cooling for my ASUS RTX 2080ti DUAL OC from Kraken G12 + AIO to a custom loop. All good no leaks no nothing.

After I start the PC I can see the BIOS splash screen but after that the screen goes black and I get a 02 error code on the MB.

I've read online related to this that the monitor or the cable can be an issue. I'm using the same monitor as before, the same cable as before. I've tried HDMI and DisplayPort nothing changes.

The main difference between my issue and the others I find online is that I see the BIOS splash screen but everything else fails. If I try to go to BIOS, black screen again.

If I try with other older GPU - gt710 - it works...

I'm open to any suggestions

My rig:

- CPU: AMD 5950X

- MB: Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Wi-Fi

- RAM: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V

- GPU: Asus RTX 2080ti DualOC

- PSU: Corsair HX1200 

Unfortunately 02 code can be a number of issues. 

Often I get 02 after a failed infinity fabric OC or DRAM but I also had it happen after I cleaned the graphics card. After moving it to different PCIe slot, resting CMOS and putting it back to the first slot it worked fine again. 

EDIT:

One more thing. 

If you get black screen after going to BIOS and 02 cide. 

1.) restart PC and press F1 on the black screen when you get 02 code

if that didn't work 

2.) attemp to go to BIOS by pressing Delete key, if you get black screen and 02 code, press F1 and you should appear in BIOS

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Unfortunately 02 code can be a number of issues. 

Often I get 02 after a failed infinity fabric OC or DRAM but I also had it happen after I cleaned the graphics card. After moving it to different PCIe slot, resting CMOS and putting it back to the first slot it worked fine again. 

I've tried resetting the CMOS by button and by battery. I'll try moving it to the other PCIe lane. The thing is that before with the same GPU and settings and everything it worked. If it wouldn't boot at all I would understand also... but it boots to the splash screen and then it goes dark.

1 minute ago, sabbin said:

I've tried resetting the CMOS by button and by battery. I'll try moving it to the other PCIe lane. The thing is that before with the same GPU and settings and everything it worked. If it wouldn't boot at all I would understand also... but it boots to the splash screen and then it goes dark.

Wait, read my edit first, I'm 90% sure that will work. 

There is a setup process after failed BIOS boot and it prompta you to press F1 but the screen is not displaying anything but it should still work. 

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Wait, read my edit first, I'm 90% sure that will work. 

There is a setup process after failed BIOS boot and it prompta you to press F1 but the screen is not displaying anything but it should still work. 

I've done each step as you described. Now I cannot boot my system anymore. So when I moved to the second lane and CMOS reset I got the same 02 after post.

Moved to the first and now I'm getting 3E error, no Post. Tried removing the GPU still 3E, putting back the 710GT still 3E. Reseating the RAM, still 3E.

Reseated CPU, RAM, GPU, removed GPU, removed RAM, still 3E

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, sabbin said:

I've done each step as you described. Now I cannot boot my system anymore. So when I moved to the second lane and CMOS reset I got the same 02 after post.

Moved to the first and now I'm getting 3E error, no Post. Tried removing the GPU still 3E, putting back the 710GT still 3E. Reseating the RAM, still 3E.

Reseated CPU, RAM, GPU, removed GPU, removed RAM, still 3E

Any suggestions?

3E is memory initialization. 

Try each memory stick in each slot separately, not just reseating. 

If that doesn't help I would suggest trying a BIOS flashback via USB stick to a different version, it doesn't even require CPU to be present. 

29 minutes ago, WereCat said:

3E is memory initialization. 

Try each memory stick in each slot separately, not just reseating. 

If that doesn't help I would suggest trying a BIOS flashback via USB stick to a different version, it doesn't even require CPU to be present. 

After 2 hours I managed to make it boot up again. Believe it or not, it was CPU related, but after cleaning all components and reassembling the PC it booted again.

But I'm back to the original problem with the 02. 

I've made a video with the behavior on the MB. From the moment the green led turned on till the end of the video I could see the bios splash screen on display. I can even enter the BIOS but after max 10s the display shuts down...

Video URL -> https://streamable.com/7vgkde

56 minutes ago, sabbin said:

After 2 hours I managed to make it boot up again. Believe it or not, it was CPU related, but after cleaning all components and reassembling the PC it booted again.

But I'm back to the original problem with the 02. 

I've made a video with the behavior on the MB. From the moment the green led turned on till the end of the video I could see the bios splash screen on display. I can even enter the BIOS but after max 10s the display shuts down...

Video URL -> https://streamable.com/7vgkde

I honestly don't know.

But if hitting F1 key changes the Qcode that means you're progressing even if you get stuck on a different Qcode.

I described my points a bit wrong before, this is exactly how I get from a failed IF OC with 02 code.

1.) 02 code after PC reboots when 1900MHz+ IF is applied in the BIOS

2.) turn off PC and reset CMOS with the button

3.) turn on PC and get stuck at 02 code again with blank screens

4.) Press F1 and the code changes (I don't remember to which one exactly in my case, I would have to purposely mess my OC to do that again)

5.) the code is changed but still blank screens, but I am actually in the BIOS even if I can't see anything

6.) ESC and Enter to exit BIOS

7.) wait and it boots to WIndows

Your issue may be completely something else, especially since you're getting that 3E error related to memory.

I doubt all the sticks of RAM are bad, so it must be related to memory on CPU side, if that's the case either something on the CPU is broken or maybe you got lucky and you just have a corrupted BIOS that applies wrong settings on the boot up and can't properly initialize the memory for training.

In that case, try that BIOS update I've suggested before, try the new Beta BIOS, seems to stable for high memory OC as well.

The way you described you issue in the last post, it definitely seems really odd behavior. I haven't really dealt with that exact issue before, if you can actually enter BIOS and it goes bad after, I have no clue what's going on exactly.

The issue was that between the waterblock on the GPU there wasn't enough thermal paste and the GPU went into protection each time. I've took the block down and put more thermal paste and the issue is gone. The for the VRAM I have some thermal pads and it seems it has some more space between the GPU and waterblock and more thermal paste was needed

At least that issue is gone. Now the GPU will not start in Windows or Linux anymore. I get "Windows stopped the device" message... Have to debug this now, but at least I can boot all the way.