Microsoft buys AR headset patents for $100-150 million

BOOM SHAKA LAKA

http://www.totalxbox.com/74099/microsoft-buys-ar-headset-patents-for-100-150-million-report/

Microsoft has quietly bought up six already-issued and 75 in-progress patents for augmented reality glasses, originally taken out by wearable computing company Osterhout Design Group. That's according to a report over at Tech Crunch.

post-15704-0-41521500-1396188343.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Like it or not facebook started the VR/AR race, though microsoft was already working on this AR thing

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Could someone please tell me the difference between AR and VR?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Like it or not facebook started the VR/AR race, though microsoft was already working on this AR thing

VR yes

AR no , AR started pre 2010

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Augmented vs Virtual

Google glass is augmented, Oculus is virtual

Error: 410

Augmented vs Virtual

Google glass is augmented, Oculus is virtual

Thank you for helping...

Let's see if anyone gets that.

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Thanks to you too, Sir!

While I am a lot more interested in VR technology, AR is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft has planned exactly. If they're buying up patents I have to wonder how far along they are. It would be nice to see them show something at E3 this year.

VR yes

AR no , AR started pre 2010

google glass i guess, forgot about that one 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

While I am a lot more interested in VR technology, AR is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft has planned exactly. If they're buying up patents I have to wonder how far along they are. It would be nice to see them show something at E3 this year.

AR + VR is where its at

Adding cameras to a VR head set will unlock sooo many possibilities

http://www.trueplayergear.com/

these guys have a VR and AR headset all in one

Thank you for helping...

same here thanks

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

imagine wearing AR glasses

imagine the possibilities with virtual reality :D

finely 3D video chat will be created

wow imagine 20 years later what will everything turn out.............

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Except they didn't. Sony has been working on their solution since even before Oculus.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

Thank you for helping...

...i actually got it

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Except they didn't. Sony has been working on their solution since even before Oculus.

im not talking about who started doing things first i'm saying that because of facebook buyout, VR as technology in general, will get pushed very quickly now, like a while ago were smartphones would get substantial improvements between generation 

Augmented Reality is when a device augments (modifies) the real world/reality. So for example, you have a table with nothing on it, and you take your tablet and point it's camera at the table, and through the screen, there's something sitting on the table that was digitally made. 

Virtual Reality is when you're in a "completely different reality altogether." For example, you're sitting in your living, but then you put on an Oculus Rift and start playing EVE Valkyrie. Now you're in a "different reality" where you're shooting down spaceships and whatnot.

As for AR, I want something like in Accel World, and as for VR, I want something like in Sword Art Online. I think we'll get both in our lifetime, but it won't be for a long time.

;_;

COMIC SANS

Oculus started the race when it first started getting around. Even though other companies were at it first, Oculus was the first one that people actually cared about and got excited for. And then I think you'd have to credit Sony for bringing proper competition to the scene and making it more for the public, even though they had attempts at it before.

I think what might be more awesome than any of this coming to market is these companies buying up all these technologies from companies for huge prices and then having it all fail with the public demand not being there as much as they thought in terms of wanting these things. This might be better for humanity.

I am a person who loves what 3D tv and movies try to do. I love what Kinect tried to do. I love all this stuff but remember how the majority call it fads? Remember how most of this stuff ends up? Anyone here remember Virtual Boy?

Point is even though I like some of this stuff I think I am at the point where I would rather see it fail to teach these companies a lesson and maybe to get people to realize tech isn't so special and we don't need so much of this garbage in our lives.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Oculus started the race when it first started getting around. Even though other companies were at it first, Oculus was the first one that people actually cared about and got excited for. And then I think you'd have to credit Sony for bringing proper competition to the scene and making it more for the public, even though they had attempts at it before.

i know and like i said here...

im not talking about who started doing things first i'm saying that because of facebook buyout, VR as technology in general, will get pushed very quickly now, like a while ago were smartphones would get substantial improvements between generation 

that why facebook started the race, oculus prepared it, but they where the ones who made it an arms race now

I think the virtual reality is the next big gimmick until it's priced correctly