future proof psu

cararensis
Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
6 minutes ago, cararensis said:

fsp hyper 700 power supply

thats already future resistant enough as is, its the fact that FSP have a super aggressive fan curve. I would just go for the fan replacement route instead.

Im in search of a new PSU, mainly bc my current one is way too loud (fsp hyper 700 power supply). My original Plan was to just change the Fan in it, people kind of discouraged me with pretty good arguments. So here i am devasted that my morals got oblitterated so fast and apparently fixing it is kind of out of question. Unless you convince me otherwise, I really hate replacing stuff that is working and strain the environment with my consumption. oh well.

My system is an

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

Intel COre i5 7600K

Strix Z270G

DDR4 Dual 16GB Memory

3 harddrives

2 Monitors

My Future Powersupply should be good enough for the next upgrade, whatever that may be. But also, and thats why i write here, id like to be able to exchange the Fan, have a longliving one or one that is easyish to clean or one that is actually repairishable. Id like one that is not dammaged after 4-6 years, just because i wasnt able to clean it. I appreciate any recommendations or also hints where i find longlivability and such as a criteria in the testing =)

fsp hyper 700 power supply

thats already future resistant enough as is, its the fact that FSP have a super aggressive fan curve. I would just go for the fan replacement route instead.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I quote: "Thats a very shitty PSU in the first place and condensors inside might kill you in the second place. It is not worth it at all."

I interpreted it as, the unit is shit, and thats why it is dangerous...

But if that is still an option i got an other question for you, is smelding necessary or can it be done without?

edit: maybe r/buildapc is just not the place to ask ^^

It's completely possible to replace a PSU fan as long as you know what you're doing and take the proper precautions. 

Just now, cararensis said:

I quote: "Thats a very shitty PSU in the first place and condensors inside might kill you in the second place. It is not worth it at all."

I interpreted it as, the unit is shit, and thats why it is dangerous...

But if that is still an option i got an other question for you, is smelding necessary or can it be done without?

I assume they're talking about capacitors. Those are in literally every PSU. And do you mean soldering? That's not necessary in most cases - the fan should have a standard plug. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

From what ive seen in youtube videos, where people do it, the fan has no plug and you need to connect the old fans cable with the new cable.

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

It's completely possible to replace a PSU fan as long as you know what you're doing and take the proper precautions. 

I assume they're talking about capacitors. Those are in literally every PSU. And do you mean soldering? That's not necessary in most cases - the fan should have a standard plug. 

Ahh yes i meant soldering. Sorry mixed up the words. The question is just, what do i do, if there is no Plug and i need to connect two loose cables. The proper Job is soldering, but are coupling nuts fine?

12 minutes ago, cararensis said:

Ahh yes i meant soldering. Sorry mixed up the words. The question is just, what do i do, if there is no Plug and i need to connect two loose cables. The proper Job is soldering, but are coupling nuts fine?

some people would say no im sure, but i have done this before with simple splicing, and it worked fine. as far as it being dangerous, it isn't as long as it is properly discharged, so definitely be sure to do that.

15 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

some people would say no im sure, but i have done this before with simple splicing, and it worked fine. as far as it being dangerous, it isn't as long as it is properly discharged, so definitely be sure to do that.

i will wear non conducting gloves and push the powerbutton on my pc a few long times and lying it unplugged for a night before i go near it with a tool. The question being is if i wait until the lockdown is over so i can go to a fablab (with a grounded working plate) or if i can handle it at home... Stupid corona ._.'

But thank you all for reassuring me, that repairing is actually possible =)

30 minutes ago, cararensis said:

How old is the PSU?  If the fan is noisy because its failed I'd be wary that the PSU has aged too.  I don't like keeping PSUs much past their warranty after having a couple blow up on me IN warranty.

If its IN warranty, I wouldn't be opening it up to replace the fan just because its noisy.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How old is the PSU?  If the fan is noisy because its failed I'd be wary that the PSU has aged too.  I don't like keeping PSUs much past their warranty after having a couple blow up on me IN warranty.

If its IN warranty, I wouldn't be opening it up to replace the fan just because its noisy.

I have no idea, i bought the pc second hand. my guess is about at least 4 years. But its more the question of replacing or changing fan, i wont live with the noise, cant even enjoy films anymore 😕

I have no idea, i bought the pc second hand. my guess is about at least 4 years. But its more the question of replacing or changing fan, i wont live with the noise, cant even enjoy films anymore 😕

All I can say is as someone who myself AM comfortable opening a PSU and soldering - I'd replace the PSU.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

can only mark one as solved, but thank you all for youre replies =)

Just wanted to say, assuming you were handy enough to solder parts together and what not, you wouldn't even need a new fan necessarily.  You might be able to just splice in a resistor to lower the fan speed, similar to what's used in those low noise adapters that companies like noctua sell and include with their fans.  That being said, it'd be best to just get a better unit from Seasonic, Be Quiet!!, etc.  Hell, you could probably sell your current unit afterward to recover some of the cost.

5 hours ago, cararensis said:

fsp hyper 700

It's a low quality, groupregulated unit and it doesn't get futureproof by replacing the fan. Replacing the fan is a waste of money and a waste of time.

8 hours ago, cararensis said:

I really hate replacing stuff that is working and strain the environment with my consumption. oh well.

that poor PSU shouldnt ideally be running anything. You should swap that unit entirely. 

you swapping a PSU that will kill your system is lower consumption than having it kill your system and you having to replace everything. 

keep it if you ever need a 12v/5v/3.3v source for something, otherwise recycle it.