Best cooler for Ryzen 9 3900X

Leplivo
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
16 hours ago, Leplivo said:

That would be the Kraken but the Corsair has faster fans and it's quiter that's why I don't know which to get.

The Kraken X63 performs better. Take your pick. 

Hello, my cpu started going 90+ C while playing, rendering or just using it, mostly because summer is coming and I am using the stock cooler, so I decided to replace it with an aftermarket one but I don't know which cooler will be the best option. Where I live we only have NZXT, Corsair, Cooler Master and Deepcool from the good brands (don't know if Deepcool is good).

5 minutes ago, Leplivo said:

don't know if Deepcool is good

Assassin III is quite good, by good I mean one of the best air coolers.

Scythe Fuma 2 is a good option also.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, Leplivo said:

Hello, my cpu started going 90+ C while playing, rendering or just using it, mostly because summer is coming and I am using the stock cooler, so I decided to replace it with an aftermarket one but I don't know which cooler will be the best option. Where I live we only have NZXT, Corsair, Cooler Master and Deepcool from the good brands (don't know if Deepcool is good).

I would wholeheartedly recommend an AIO. Air coolers are a pain to assemble (I've assembled Dark Pro 4, NH-D15, other monstrosities.. it's a pain, and often, you need to reseat the CPU at least once to get good contact)

AIO have small mounting blocks, they are quiet, perform better.. Look on youtube - Gamers Nexus. They have some of the best reviews on AIOs. I'm sure you will find something there.

Here you go!!! 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

The best cooler would be a Frost Commander 140.

All the old big dogs were good in their day, but their day is over.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

5 hours ago, Light-Yagami said:

I would wholeheartedly recommend an AIO. Air coolers are a pain to assemble (I've assembled Dark Pro 4, NH-D15, other monstrosities.. it's a pain

That's strange. The NH-D15 for example usually takes 6-10 screws compared to the 20-24 on a 240-280mm AIO. Were you having trouble lining up the screws on the cooler to the mounting bracket? A long screwdriver is provided and the spring loaded screws are pretty easy to line up. 

often, you need to reseat the CPU at least once to get good contact)

Seems like you aren't installing the cpu and cooler correctly. 

Uneven mounting pressure can be avoided by gradually screwing in an X pattern instead of one side before another and the cpu should already be held in place with the retention bracket on the motherboard.

@Leplivo What case and ram are you using? What features are you looking for in a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The stock wraith prism is pretty decent in its own right I mean it’s no noctua but still good where it counts 

as for AIO I love the Corsair h100i 

I would recommend Corsair or NZXT tbh. I would recommend Corsair more if you want more RGB in your build too.

However, I have read that a Noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15 would be more than good enough for the cpu, if you can get your hands on either.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's strange. The NH-D15 for example usually takes 6-10 screws compared to the 20-24 on a 240-280mm AIO. Were you having trouble lining up the screws on the cooler to the mounting bracket? A long screwdriver is provided and the spring loaded screws are pretty easy to line up. 

Uneven mounting pressure can be avoided by gradually screwing in an X pattern instead of one side before another and the cpu should already be held in place with the retention bracket on the motherboard.

@Leplivo What case and ram are you using? What features are you looking for in a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

I just checked stores my only options are NZXT Kraken x63 or Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX, they are somewhat above my budget but it won't be a problem.

My build:

Ryzen 9 3900X

GTX 1050Ti

HyperX 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz

NZXT H510 Elite

Frost Commander has them beat again, at least on the AM4 side.. 

Use the stock backplate, install 4 spacers, 2 crossbars, 4 screws and mount your cooler. Then tighten its two spring loaded screws and its done.

It was almost as easy as an AMD stock cooler.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

9 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I would recommend Corsair or NZXT tbh. I would recommend Corsair more if you want more RGB in your build too.

However, I have read that a Noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15 would be more than good enough for the cpu, if you can get your hands on either.

If RGB then definitely get something from EK Water Blocks

17 hours ago, Leplivo said:

I just checked stores my only options are NZXT Kraken x63 or Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX, they are somewhat above my budget but it won't be a problem.

Either would be fine. You can go with whichever is cheaper. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:30 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Either would be fine. You can go with whichever is cheaper. 

That would be the Kraken but the Corsair has faster fans and it's quiter that's why I don't know which to get.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:15 AM, WoodenMarker said:

I know how it's done, I've built many. But while yes - you have to install the rad as well as the cooling block, it's much easier to install the cooling block in any case (including low volume ones), while it's a pain to get to the back screws sometimes with big air coolers. With AIOs you leave the RAM unobstructed, as well as other MB ports such as top fan headers, pump headers, CPU power and so on.. It's more manageable in the long run. Also - repasting or switching the CPU is simple, since the cooling block is quick and easy to remove.. Idk.. I've had better luck with AIO, and there's a reason why all CPU testers use them, beside good performance. 

16 hours ago, Leplivo said:

21 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Okay thanks for the answers I guess I will go with the Kraken since it turns out to be the better option and it will fit my NZXT case.

Thanks to everyone who answered.