Completed the gamer gauntlet; got a 6800XT on the way, now I gotta build my first pc

As said in the title I managed to buy a RX 6800XT (ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT to be precise) through the verified actual gamer program on lttstore.com. I'm really happy about that (even though I realise the GPU is very much overkill), but since I haven't built a pc before I thought I might come here for some help/guidance. I'd like to buy these components by the time the GPU arrives (hopefully in the next month or so).

I have made a list of parts that I'm considering to pair the 6800XT with, but would like to ask y'all whether I should really change out some parts before buying. Will include some thoughts down below; do correct me if I'm being stupid🙈. I tried to look for parts that'd serve me for quite a while, though my outset is that the GPU should be (one of) the last part(s) that I'd need to upgrade down the line.

I'll include the GPU in the list below for the total cost.

Budget (including currency): around €2200,- including monitor, peripherals and the GPU that's on the way.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming; aiming for 1440p 100+Hz for a few years to come due to the overkill GPU. I'd like to be able to play games like the Hitman, COD, Watchdogs, GTA, and Tomb Raider series, as well as some battle royale type games and Hearts of Iron 4. Possibly want to do some light video-editing, though that's a long ways off for now.

Other details

I'm currently using a 8 years old laptop; Intel i5-3337U, AMD Radeon HD 8500M/8700M with 2GB VRAM - upgraded the RAM to 16GB and the 2,5" Hard drive to a SATA 2,5" SSD a few years back. Have a Logitech M705 mouse (M-R0073) and I think I'd need to replace that as well for a quicker one.

I tend to currently use either Geforce Now or my Xbox One for gaming, but can't get anywhere close to the performance I'd like to be at obviously.

Parts list (researched with PCPartpicker and tweakers.net):

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€244,95)
    • Wanted to go with the 3600X, but the tray version of that is €229,- and the boxed version €269,-, so this made more sense to me / upgrade path to 5000 series down the line when prices normalise (in a few years😅).
  • Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) (€138,00)
    • Looked for a B550 with 4 RAM slots, Wifi 6, 2,5Gbps LAN, mainly for future viability.
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€103,90)
    • Good RAM, right?
  • Storage: Crucial P5 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€58,-)
    • For OS.
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€51,90)
    • Should be plenty of game storage for now.
  • Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  (€988,64)
    • Already bought on lttstore.com.
  • Case: Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€48,04)
    • Not too big of a case with good airflow; looked at Master Cooler Q300L before, but airflow seemed like it could be an issue there.
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE GOLD V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€105,95)
    • 750W is recommended for the GPU by Asus; wanted to top that a bit / hopefully this PSU will serve me for quite some time.
  • Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  (2x €12,95)
    • Seemed silent and I definitely want enough cooling.
  • Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan  (2x €11,28)
    • Same as above.
  • Other cables: Akasa PWM fan splitter (2x € 5,95)
    • To account for the extra fans and lack of headers on the mobo.
  • Monitor: Lenovo G27q-20 1440p 165Hz (€299,-)
    • Should last quite a while I hope.
  • Monitor Arm: Deltaco GAM-040 (€35,97)
    • Would like to mount the monitor on side of my desk; needs to be able to swing 90 degrees horizontally.
  • Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard (€28,35)
    • Pretty basic, but I don't really know what would be a good budget keyboard that does have the numpad and is preferably wireless.
  • Mouse: Logitech G305  Wireless Optical Mouse  (€42,95)
    • I prefer wireless; seemed like an okay gaming mouse to me, though I do have large hands.

Total: €2206,01
Prices include shipping and taxes.

Sorry for the long post; hope y'all can help me out a bit.

Not bad. I'd take a look at Intel, their prices aren't inflated in most places and the slightly older chips can also be had at insane prices.

Even then, the 11400 might make more sense.

If you're not upgrading for a few years, then it'd be time to move over to a new platform anyway.

I'd ditch the 2TB, drop some more money and see if you can squeeze a 2TB SSD in there. Or, grab a 1TB SSD and if you need more space later, add another.

That keyboard is going to feel like trash. You interact with the keyboard with every action you make on the PC. Why spend 2200 on something, and not have quality peripherals?? Logitech makes some better full wireless keyboards with mechanical switches, though their switches aren't the greatest. G613, for example. Personally I'd ditch the wireless idea for the keyboard, it's kind of unnecessary.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not bad. I'd take a look at Intel, their prices aren't inflated in most places and the slightly older chips can also be had at insane prices.

Even then, the 11400 might make more sense.

If you're not upgrading for a few years, then it'd be time to move over to a new platform anyway.

I'd ditch the 2TB, drop some more money and see if you can squeeze a 2TB SSD in there. Or, grab a 1TB SSD and if you need more space later, add another.

That keyboard is going to feel like trash. You interact with the keyboard with every action you make on the PC. Why spend 2200 on something, and not have quality peripherals?? Logitech makes some better full wireless keyboards with mechanical switches, though their switches aren't the greatest. G613, for example. Personally I'd ditch the wireless idea for the keyboard, it's kind of unnecessary.

Thnx, will definitely take a look at Intel; looked at CPU userbenchmark and was really surprised even the 11400 seems to outperform the 3600XT for about €55,- less! Though I might want to get an aftermarket cooler in that case; haven't heard great things about Intel's stock CPU cooler.

Good point about the larger SSD as well; stuff to think about.

Regarding the keyboard I maybe should have been a bit more clear; the reason I want that to be wireless is because of where I'm sitting when using the pc. Basically in the apartment my gf and I rent there isn't too much room for a dedicated gaming-desk. I'd mostly be using the pc at the end of our (fairly large) dining table. Since it's the dining table I want to be able to quickly grabs the PC peripherals and get them out of the way when needed, hence the wireless idea (same reason for wanting the mounted monitor arm and being able to swivel it out of the way🙈). Also I'm used to a pretty old laptop keyboard at home and a few basic ones at work, so I figured that wouldn't really be an issue.

That being said, you do make a good point about how much I'd be using the keyboard, so I'll have a look at some better alternatives, like the G613 you mentioned!

Hey,

the 10th gen Intel CPUs are also quite heavily discounted, which might be even better value than 11th gen. Somehow Intel is now the value brand at the moment, though you do have to account for custom cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 or similar might do the trick for cheap). I also agree on the SSD, 1 TB NVMe costs ~100€ and might serve you quite well. If you see that you run low on space, adding in a HDD later (or better yet another SSD) is an option.

Regarding the fans, I have bought the EZDYI-Fab ones with ARGB and PWM control (I think these ones) they look nice, cost not too much, actually perform pretty well and you get 5 of them. All for 1x PWM and 1x ARGB header on the MB, which the ASUS TUF has. Some cable management required.

The monitor arm has 2 mounts, but you have 1 monitor. I might be missing something here.

I agree that you might want to upgrade the CPU in the future, therefore I would personally recommend the Ryzen system, as the power requirements of their CPUs is quite a bit lower, and you can just plop in the new Ryzen in the same B550 motherboard without having to worry about VRM quality and power delivery.

2 hours ago, Microcar said:

Thnx, will definitely take a look at Intel; looked at CPU userbenchmark and was really surprised even the 11400 seems to outperform the 3600XT for about €55,- less! Though I might want to get an aftermarket cooler in that case; haven't heard great things about Intel's stock CPU cooler.

Regarding the keyboard I maybe should have been a bit more clear; the reason I want that to be wireless is because of where I'm sitting when using the pc. Basically in the apartment my gf and I rent there isn't too much room for a dedicated gaming-desk. I'd mostly be using the pc at the end of our (fairly large) dining table. Since it's the dining table I want to be able to quickly grabs the PC peripherals and get them out of the way when needed, hence the wireless idea (same reason for wanting the mounted monitor arm and being able to swivel it out of the way🙈). Also I'm used to a pretty old laptop keyboard at home and a few basic ones at work, so I figured that wouldn't really be an issue.

That being said, you do make a good point about how much I'd be using the keyboard, so I'll have a look at some better alternatives, like the G613 you mentioned!

Yeah, I'd get an aftermarket cooler but virtually anything will work as the lower tier chips really don't get that hot.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 4/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, Microcar said:

Don’t use userbenchmark as a CPU comparison tool. It is garbage and biased towards intel. While the 11500 is very slightly faster than the 3600X, it is not as large as user benchmark makes it seem

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

On 4/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, Microcar said:

As said in the title I managed to buy a RX 6800XT (ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT to be precise) through the verified actual gamer program on lttstore.com. I'm really happy about that (even though I realise the GPU is very much overkill), but since I haven't built a pc before I thought I might come here for some help/guidance. I'd like to buy these components by the time the GPU arrives (hopefully in the next month or so).

I have made a list of parts that I'm considering to pair the 6800XT with, but would like to ask y'all whether I should really change out some parts before buying. Will include some thoughts down below; do correct me if I'm being stupid🙈. I tried to look for parts that'd serve me for quite a while, though my outset is that the GPU should be (one of) the last part(s) that I'd need to upgrade down the line.

I'll include the GPU in the list below for the total cost.

Budget (including currency): around €2200,- including monitor, peripherals and the GPU that's on the way.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming; aiming for 1440p 100+Hz for a few years to come due to the overkill GPU. I'd like to be able to play games like the Hitman, COD, Watchdogs, GTA, and Tomb Raider series, as well as some battle royale type games and Hearts of Iron 4. Possibly want to do some light video-editing, though that's a long ways off for now.

Other details

I'm currently using a 8 years old laptop; Intel i5-3337U, AMD Radeon HD 8500M/8700M with 2GB VRAM - upgraded the RAM to 16GB and the 2,5" Hard drive to a SATA 2,5" SSD a few years back. Have a Logitech M705 mouse (M-R0073) and I think I'd need to replace that as well for a quicker one.

I tend to currently use either Geforce Now or my Xbox One for gaming, but can't get anywhere close to the performance I'd like to be at obviously.

Parts list (researched with PCPartpicker and tweakers.net):

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€244,95)
    • Wanted to go with the 3600X, but the tray version of that is €229,- and the boxed version €269,-, so this made more sense to me / upgrade path to 5000 series down the line when prices normalise (in a few years😅).
  • Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) (€138,00)
    • Looked for a B550 with 4 RAM slots, Wifi 6, 2,5Gbps LAN, mainly for future viability.
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€103,90)
    • Good RAM, right?
  • Storage: Crucial P5 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€58,-)
    • For OS.
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€51,90)
    • Should be plenty of game storage for now.
  • Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card  (€988,64)
    • Already bought on lttstore.com.
  • Case: Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€48,04)
    • Not too big of a case with good airflow; looked at Master Cooler Q300L before, but airflow seemed like it could be an issue there.
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE GOLD V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€105,95)
    • 750W is recommended for the GPU by Asus; wanted to top that a bit / hopefully this PSU will serve me for quite some time.
  • Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  (2x €12,95)
    • Seemed silent and I definitely want enough cooling.
  • Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan  (2x €11,28)
    • Same as above.
  • Other cables: Akasa PWM fan splitter (2x € 5,95)
    • To account for the extra fans and lack of headers on the mobo.
  • Monitor: Lenovo G27q-20 1440p 165Hz (€299,-)
    • Should last quite a while I hope.
  • Monitor Arm: Deltaco GAM-040 (€35,97)
    • Would like to mount the monitor on side of my desk; needs to be able to swing 90 degrees horizontally.
  • Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard (€28,35)
    • Pretty basic, but I don't really know what would be a good budget keyboard that does have the numpad and is preferably wireless.
  • Mouse: Logitech G305  Wireless Optical Mouse  (€42,95)
    • I prefer wireless; seemed like an okay gaming mouse to me, though I do have large hands.

Total: €2206,01
Prices include shipping and taxes.

Sorry for the long post; hope y'all can help me out a bit.

Congrats on getting one!

On 4/28/2021 at 3:10 AM, Microcar said:

userbenchmark

DO NEVER USE THAT SIDE NEVER EVER

Seriously tho, a literal potato with Intel sticker would outperform anything AMD has to offer. Best bang-for-the-buck for your system right now would be the 11400, but 3600XT is almost as good in gaming and has much better upgrade path. It's up to you if you intend upgrade soon enough that Ryzen 5000 will still be relevant.

1 hour ago, Ydfhlx said:

literal potato with Intel sticker would outperform anything AMD

holy shit you're right... even a 8500 is better than a 3600... you have to go back to some 4c4t intel to find something the poor 3600 can beat, they're rewriting history as we speak! 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity