Default dark mode.

WolframaticAlpha

Light Mode or Dark Mode?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer light mode(aka day theme) or dark mode(aka night theme)

• Dark Mode
    • Light Mode

1 minute ago, mon1ka said:

send screenshot. if you have everything in light im going to cry.

Spoiler

1048055820_ScreenShot2021-04-27at8_06_28PM.thumb.png.214bff6f721cca9bd744f7bd71e2ae4c.png

One of the perks of colorblindness. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

The the website would need to pull more information than needed for guest users that aren't even members, not sure it's a good idea.

You could actually use Media Queries, which wouldn't be that invasive or demanding. It's something the browser is ready to already respond to.

CSS3

@media (prefers-color-scheme: Dark) {}

JavaScript

if (window.matchMedia('prefers-color-scheme: dark').matches) { } 

7 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

ok, got it. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

6 hours ago, wall03 said:

What if it was automatically enabled for non-logged in people who have their OS on dark mode? Logged in people can get a tip when signing up or something. idk

The forums design choices have followed Apple from start.
So I will agree when Apple goes dark mode first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You could actually use Media Queries, which wouldn't be that invasive or demanding. It's something the browser is ready to already respond to.

CSS3

JavaScript

Good points, haven't done any website work for over a decade! 😛

I also realized after my reply that it could probably pull the browser theme.

Or, we could just make the theme option available to non-members and let them decide.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Or, we could just make the theme option available to non-members and let them decide.

You can change the theme when you're not logged in. The theme selector at the bottom of the page is available for everyone, but I don't know if it saves that for subsequent visits. 

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

The forums design choices have followed Apple from start.
So I will agree when Apple goes dark mode first.

Following apple? Is my data being sold on linustechtips? I hope not.

In a paraphrase of the wise words of spock

The wants of the many outweigh the wants of the few or the one.

So dark mode default is only logical.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Why though, I personally prefer day mode, but why make dark default? I use everything light lol, including my text editors...

woah, it's a signature

2 minutes ago, Dundee said:

Why though, I personally prefer day mode, but why make dark default? I use everything light lol, including my text editors...

More people want dark as default so it Should be dark mode.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

More people want dark as default so it Should be dark mode.

A poll with only 32 votes is hardly representative enough.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

A poll with only 32 votes is hardly representative enough.

It's not just that. This topic has been brought up before.

Many times

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's not just that. This topic has been brought up before.

Many times

And people have brought up claims of e.g. Earth being flat multiple times before; it doesn't mean they're right, and 32 votes in a poll is still not something I'd call particularly representative.

Perhaps the devs could present a poll to people on the front-page, instead of in here, and thereby get more eyes on it, but that'd still leave all the people who haven't signed in out.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

20 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

CSS3

JavaScript

It's not as simple as that for the forum - the assets for the day and night themes are separate, and the IPS theme system means that it's not straight forward to merge them but still give you a choice to override it (which I would consider essential).

I am not opposed to making the night theme the default, but it would be a risky change - there are plenty of people who prefer the day theme, and and forcing a change on people is not usually very popular (especially if the option to switch back is not very discoverable, as seems to be the case).

HTTP/2 203

• 7 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, XGoodGuyFitz said:

exept some like, old people like linus,  

Very late reply, but I'm older than Linus, and I prefer dark mode wherever I am able to select it.  Thanks to the posters here mentioning the option to change, I was unable to find it (as it isn't that clearly marked) until I went hunting for it again.

I had been using DarkReader up until this point.

And, as for that meme posted earlier...  Light mode do be like that, especially when you've had LASIK.

Dark mode. Not only is it more comfortable to look at for me, I find it harder to read black text on white background, and rather prefer white text on black background. Something I'm a bit confused about tbh, but my brain just hates me i guess?

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

1 hour ago, Slizzo said:

I was unable to find it (as it isn't that clearly marked) until I went hunting for it again.

Its very clearly in the menu, both on mobile and desktop. Do you have an idea on where to place it for better visibility? In most other sites that offer more than one theme, theme is either in footer (like here) or in user settings menu. For example those Google products that offer it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its very clearly in the menu, both on mobile and desktop. Do you have an idea on where to place it for better visibility? In most other sites that offer more than one theme, theme is either in footer (like here) or in user settings menu. For example those Google products that offer it.

On other forums, it's usually (for me), not in the footer of the page, but right under the forum elements (i.e. the sub forum listings), higher up from the footer. It's just an unintuitive placement to me. But as I said, I'm older than Linus, and it can possibly be said that I am set in my ways.

And I do see it now in the user menu as well. Just wasn't looking in the right places vs. where I am normally used to seeing it. Also could be due to the fact that this forum isn't vBulletin or XenForo like many of the others that I am used to.

On 4/27/2021 at 11:39 PM, BondiBlue said:

Thanks for telling me that something is wrong with me. 

It's not hard to change, so why should it be default? 

Sorry for being an insensitive dumbass.