PLEASE HELPMini display port in laptop and display port moniyor

I ezat

The monitor I bought has display port but my laptop has mini displayport 1.2 how can I get 180p 240hz whatcable do I need 

<-- Moved to Displays -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You gonna need a displayport to mini displayport cable. Something like this can work, but i prefer adapters with a good displayport cable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, I ezat said:

The monitor I bought has display port but my laptop has mini displayport 1.2 how can I get 180p 240hz whatcable do I need 

@Skiiwee29

1 minute ago, JakubOCD said:

DisplayPort 1.2 can only go up to 144hz @ 1080p. You will need a mini DP to DP cable. Something like this Amazon.ca Link

I saw on Linus tech it says it is supporting 1080p 240hz

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

You gonna need a displayport to mini displayport cable. Something like this can work, but i prefer adapters with a good displayport cable.

Does the adapter has to be 240hz? Or any could work 

Just now, I ezat said:

Does the adapter has to be 240hz? Or any could work 

The adapter is passive according to amazon buyers, so it can accept 1.2 or 1.4. But afaik, 1.2 support for 240hz is purely theoretical and most manufacturer goes for displayport 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 to get to 240hz. You can FAFO (Fuck Around and Find Out), but im gonna guess your success is gonna be very slim.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

The adapter is passive according to amazon buyers, so it can accept 1.2 or 1.4. But afaik, 1.2 support for 240hz is purely theoretical and most manufacturer goes for displayport 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 to get to 240hz. You can FAFO (Fuck Around and Find Out), but im gonna guess your success is gonna be very slim.

OK thx but my laptop mini display port is 1.2 the monitor comes with the DP to DP cable and If I buy any mini DP to DP  adapter it should work? 

2 minutes ago, I ezat said:

OK thx but my laptop mini display port is 1.2 the monitor comes with the DP to DP cable and If I buy any mini DP to DP  adapter it should work? 

It should work. But again, you might be unable to have full 240hz without a Displayport 1.4 port on both your Laptop and Monitor. And you cant just adapt displayport 1.2 to displayport 1.4 with an adapter, as 1.4 is way faster than 1.2.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

It should work. But again, you might be unable to have full 240hz without a Displayport 1.4 port on both your Laptop and Monitor. And you cant just adapt displayport 1.2 to displayport 1.4 with an adapter, as 1.4 is way faster than 1.2.

I saw a post on this site it said yes min displayport 1.2 supports 1080p 240hz so I think it should work no? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H48BL1J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_HJBVFJMJFHHY5YK10735

Just now, I ezat said:

I saw a post on this site it said yes min displayport 1.2 supports 1080p 240hz so I think it should work no? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H48BL1J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_HJBVFJMJFHHY5YK10735

As i say before, purely theoretical. Its all up to the manufacturer of the monitor to dictate if you can run 240hz on a displayport 1.2.

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

As i say before, purely theoretical. Its all up to the manufacturer of the monitor to dictate if you can run 240hz on a displayport 1.2.

If I send you the link of the monitor can you help me? https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-XL2540K-Flexible-Adjustment-Customizable/dp/B08JHGH42Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Benq+zowie&qid=1619535975&sr=8-3

4 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

What do you mean theoretical 

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

I think you have your versions offset. DisplayPort 1.2 has higher bandwidth than HDMI 2.0. Most if not all 1080p 240 Hz monitors use DP 1.2, unless they need to support HDR.

1080p 240 Hz display only requires HBR2 speed. Any DP 1.2 graphics card should be able to run 1080p 240 Hz, except NVIDIA Kepler cards which are limited to 540 Mpx/s over DisplayPort (1080p 200 Hz).

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I think you have your versions offset. DisplayPort 1.2 has higher bandwidth than HDMI 2.0. Most if not all 1080p 240 Hz monitors use DP 1.2, unless they need to support HDR.

1080p 240 Hz display only requires HBR2 speed. Any DP 1.2 graphics card should be able to run 1080p 240 Hz, except NVIDIA Kepler cards which are limited to 540 Mpx/s over DisplayPort (1080p 200 Hz).

So if I have a mini usb port 1.2 can i connect it with a mini dp to dp this onehttps://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H48BL1J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_HJBVFJMJFHHY5YK10735 it should work?

Just now, Glenwing said:

Yes

Thank you so much