Should I switch from Android to IOS?

I'm thinking of switching to IOS. I've supported Android for a very long time, all the way back to 2012. I honestly thought Apple was terrible.

I had one apple device which was a old iPod and it ended up breaking on me. 

However I've changed my mind and I'm thinking of getting an iPhone within a few years. 

I've started to like how apple is making their phones and how they look. (Yes I'm one of those people who like how the UI is and yes I know there are launchers.) 

Though UI isn't the only reason I want to switch.

Privacy is one of the reasons I want to switch and apple seems like a good option. 

I can use my Android phone for some apps I can't get on IOS but I would like some people's opinions on IPhones.

Thanks.

In my opinion, yes, you absolutely should. This is coming from someone using their third iPhone, and yes, I have had an Android phone before. I also use an Apple Watch and AirPods Pro with my iPhone. To put it simply, everything just works.

You'll get a lot of people on the forum saying they hate Apple, but for the majority of people iPhones are the better option. They do just work, and for a phone, you want the experience to be as seamless as possible, which is something that iOS has never failed to deliver for me.

Clean and consistent UI. Privacy is actually taken seriously. Again, everything just works as you expect it to. High quality devices; I've never had an Apple device break on me, and I've never had one with questionable build quality; build quality is always solid. Compatibility is up there too, you can get yourself an Apple Watch to go along with it, and if there's an app for something, I guarantee it's on iOS.

If I want to listen to music, I take my AirPods out the case, drop them in my ear, and everything is connected instantly. Get a text message or notification but can't be bothered to take out the phone? The notification is already on the watch for you.

As you might have seen in the news, Apple takes privacy very seriously. There's a lot going on, but blocking trackers and cracking down on apps that are behaving badly are the most important things here. There's also a nice persistent dot in the top corner of the screen to tell you if your mic or camera is being used, and if you swipe down to the control centre, it will tell you which app is using it.

One of my friends was a die hard Samsung fan, but switched to iPhone earlier this year, and he is loving it.

Lastly, I also just want to mention that compatibility with non-iOS devices is also great. I often need to take photos on my phone for coursework and transfer them to my PC, and this works seamlessly using OneDrive, or by plugging my iPhone directly into the PC and then dragging and dropping the photos where I need them.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

12 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

In my opinion, yes, you absolutely should. This is coming from someone using their third iPhone, and yes, I have had an Android phone before. I also use an Apple Watch and AirPods Pro with my iPhone. To put it simply, everything just works.

You'll get a lot of people on the forum saying they hate Apple, but for the majority of people iPhones are the better option. They do just work, and for a phone, you want the experience to be as seamless as possible, which is something that iOS has never failed to deliver for me.

Clean and consistent UI. Privacy is actually taken seriously. Again, everything just works as you expect it to. High quality devices; I've never had an Apple device break on me, and I've never had one with questionable build quality; build quality is always solid. Compatibility is up there too, you can get yourself an Apple Watch to go along with it, and if there's an app for something, I guarantee it's on iOS.

If I want to listen to music, I take my AirPods out the case, drop them in my ear, and everything is connected instantly. Get a text message or notification but can't be bothered to take out the phone? The notification is already on the watch for you.

As you might have seen in the news, Apple takes privacy very seriously. There's a lot going on, but blocking trackers and cracking down on apps that are behaving badly are the most important things here. There's also a nice persistent dot in the top corner of the screen to tell you if your mic or camera is being used, and if you swipe down to the control centre, it will tell you which app is using it.

Lastly, I also just want to mention that compatibility with non-iOS devices is also great. I often need to take photos on my phone for coursework and transfer them to my PC, and this works seamlessly using OneDrive, or by plugging my iPhone directly into the PC and then dragging and dropping the photos where I need them.

Thank you for your fast reply and opinion. I've seen some things apple has been doing to protect user privacy and I definitely like seeing when my camera is being used by an app. One of my friends actually uses an iPhone herself and she loves it. I personally use a Windows 10 PC and knowing compatibility is good is a great sign. I also like that apple has good build quality. I use a Motorola phone and it actually has good build quality aswell, (and so have many of my phone's I've used in the past surprisingly) so I'm happy to know the quality is good.

I use Mac for a certain job I do and that's how I really started to look at IPhone and apple and all of that. I don't plan on switching to MacBooks or iMacs as I still think Windows is best for me.

One problem I had with apple is a issue where they purposefully slowed down older IPhones and I was really skeptical at apples methods of trying to get more business.

I've given apple another chance though.

One other thing Im not a fan of though with apple is the home button being removed. (I know it's a stupid thing to be annoyed about) 

Edit: One last thing I was concerned about was repairability. I saw apple was making it harder for devices to be repaired and getting people to buy new phones.

I do like the way apple does notifications though.

Thank you for your opinion again, I will continue to research more into iPhones and all of that.

14 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Edit: One last thing I was concerned about was repairability. I saw apple was making it harder for devices to be repaired and getting people to buy new phones.

For iPhones, no: 

Even the latest iPhone 12 is pretty easy (as far as flagships go) to do screen and battery swaps on, which are the most common repairs. They are slightly more annoying than the older models due to the adhesive seal around the screen, but that's also what gives them their IP rating, and I'd rather have it survive a drop into water than be slightly easier to repair if someone breaks it. 

Macs you can open up with a simple pentalobe bit, pretty damn easily. Everything is soldered tho so I guess you can look at it? 

For most of the other devices, yeeeaaaah it's glue sandwich time. iPads are repairable if you don't mind patiently removing a lot of adhesive while minding tiny cables that break once crimped (standard ribbon cables, that particular thing isn't Apple-specific). 

That said I don't make a habit of punting iPads or using laptops as snowshoes so I haven't had many issues. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For iPhones, no: 

Even the latest iPhone 12 is pretty easy (as far as flagships go) to do screen and battery swaps on, which are the most common repairs. They are slightly more annoying than the older models due to the adhesive seal around the screen, but that's also what gives them their IP rating, and I'd rather have it survive a drop into water than be slightly easier to repair if someone breaks it. 

Macs you can open up with a simple pentalobe bit, pretty damn easily. Everything is soldered tho so I guess you can look at it? 

For most of the other devices, yeeeaaaah it's glue sandwich time. iPads are repairable if you don't mind patiently removing a lot of adhesive while minding tiny cables that break once crimped (standard ribbon cables, that particular thing isn't Apple-specific). 

That said I don't make a habit of punting iPads or using laptops as snowshoes so I haven't had many issues. 

Alright, thank you for correcting me on the repairability.

3 hours ago, Duo01 said:

Alright, thank you for correcting me on the repairability.

People like to bash on Apple (somewhat deservedly, but not necessarily here), though among smartphone manufacturers (and only smartphones), they’re the least egregious offender of making common repairs hellish. Samsung and LG in particular have a history of using some obscenely strong adhesives that require near destruction of the battery to remove. 

So long as you’ve a steady hand, a battery swap on modern iPhones is pretty straightforward, and because they’re so common, parts and guides are relatively easy to find. If you’re willing to forego water resistance, you don’t even technically require new adhesives on an iPhone display, as the pentalobe screws do the job of securing it. 

I went over to an iPhone 11(after 8 years of Android), partially because of parts availability, as I don’t like switching devices. The lengthy software support was another factor, as I’d been using custom ROMs for quite some time by that point, and kind of wanted to not go that route anymore. Outside custom ROMs, Apple has no competition. 

Standby battery life is another factor that swayed me over (battery life doesn’t move one bit all night, while my Android device with substantially larger battery dropped several percent, even in Airplane mode), but above all was the blazing fast performance from the SoCs. Having cpu performance that compares well against my (admittedly old) desktop in the palm of my hand was extremely appealing. And my god does LightRoom fly on this thing, with an assuredly accurate display to boot.

That said, I gave up some things I miss. Probably the most severe compromise is that I can no longer move files back and forth from my phone and PC with impunity, requiring iTunes and a compatible app. Gone are the days I can just drag and drop music over, and organize later. Files require that I use an intermediary to move downloads to my desktop.  It’s pretty asinine that Apple still has these restrictions. The incompatibility with FLAC and iTunes’ refusal to even convert it eludes literally all reason. 

Still, I found workarounds for most headaches, and just a bit over a year into my iPhone purchase, I don’t regret it. But you’re not me, and iPhones are not perfect. The compromises and tradeoffs I chose, you may not find palpable. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 hours ago, Duo01 said:

Thank you for your fast reply and opinion. I've seen some things apple has been doing to protect user privacy and I definitely like seeing when my camera is being used by an app. One of my friends actually uses an iPhone herself and she loves it. I personally use a Windows 10 PC and knowing compatibility is good is a great sign. I also like that apple has good build quality. I use a Motorola phone and it actually has good build quality aswell, (and so have many of my phone's I've used in the past surprisingly) so I'm happy to know the quality is good.

I use Mac for a certain job I do and that's how I really started to look at IPhone and apple and all of that. I don't plan on switching to MacBooks or iMacs as I still think Windows is best for me.

One problem I had with apple is a issue where they purposefully slowed down older IPhones and I was really skeptical at apples methods of trying to get more business.

One other thing Im not a fan of though with apple is the home button being removed. (I know it's a stupid thing to be annoyed about) 

Thank you for your opinion again, I will continue to research more into iPhones and all of that.

Having used 2 iPhones with and 1 iPhone without the home button, I actually prefer it without. I was sceptical to begin with, but it just feels so fluid to move through iOS with one swipe, either to access a different app already opened, or to get back to the home screen. The home button feels clunky now. The one complaint I did have was that I could easily unlock using Touch ID with a mask on, but Apple now lets you use Face ID with a mask, as long as your Apple Watch is in range, so that is no longer important.

As for reparability, ironically iPhones are actually better in a lot of areas compared to Androids. Reparability is becoming less and less important, but at least with iPhones, parts are easy to find and repairs are easy to do for a trusted professional (doesn't have to be done by Apple) or even relatively easy for you to do yourself. As others have said, Android manufacturers often love adhesives, which are difficult to remove and just as difficult to replace, luckily (from what I've seen), Apple avoids adhesives as much as possible, things just click together, making it all the more easy.

You're welcome, I'm always happy to share my opinion! I'm glad to hear you're doing good research into this before committing though!

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

On 4/26/2021 at 3:05 PM, Duo01 said:

If you care about being able to repair a device yourself, you aren't going to have that option with any newer iPhone.   If you replace the display, you will lose faceID and truetone, and if you replace the battery you will lose battery health info.

As I put in my original post, I want to gain more privacy, and I also wanted to see everyone's opinion on IOS.
(I also like what Apple has to offer with the IPhone, to put it simply.)

I'm okay with the phone I currently have now, that's why I said "within a few years" meaning I may switch to IOS as my next device.

I took my question to the LTT forms because there are both Android and IOS users here. Yes, I could look it up on YouTube, but I decided to post here because why not. (Just to keep it simple in terms of explaining why.)

This was just a general question to see the communities response and opinion, and it may influence if I get an Apple product in the future, I really don't know.