Ancient GPU Hunting Part 2 which would you rather get?

md07

i think only the r9 280 will hold any nostalgic value as time passes vs the other which are in interesting midrange gpu's. 

Old flagships tend to be more desirable in the future vs midrange cards.

"Ancient GPUs" jeej. Here I am still using a GT220 daily in 1 of my bot machines...... (runs a game in 1080p btw)

If your goal is to buy, keep for X amount of years and sell for a profit - don't buy any.

Reason: all of these are middle of the road models and since I'm into some retro computer groups I can tell you for sure - 20% of the people tops would aim to build "the machine they had way back when", while the other 80 would just go for the fastest parts from the same generation.

I don't really see anything special here. The only useful ones here are the 560 and 280. The 280 can still game at 1080p60fps in almost any game that isn't a dumpsterfireport. The 560 is weaker than it but not a bad card especially useful for upgrading a office dell or so.

As for the others a run of the mill 460 and a recycled cooler 260.

31 minutes ago, komar said:

"Ancient GPUs" jeej. Here I am still using a GT220 daily in 1 of my bot machines...... (runs a game in 1080p btw)

If your goal is to buy, keep for X amount of years and sell for a profit - don't buy any.

Reason: all of these are middle of the road models and since I'm into some retro computer groups I can tell you for sure - 20% of the people tops would aim to build "the machine they had way back when", while the other 80 would just go for the fastest parts from the same generation.

Also keep in mind that even if the parts are ancient and rare it doesn't mean people will buy them for like 80$ in 10 years even if you have like a gtx 295x2 or something cool. It's old stuff and the market of people even willing to buy it is already extremely small so if the price isn't low enough either you won't sell ever.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Also keep in mind that even if the parts are ancient and rare it doesn't mean people will buy them for like 80$ in 10 years even if you have like a gtx 295x2 or something cool. It's old stuff and the market of people even willing to buy it is already extremely small so if the price isn't low enough either you won't sell ever.

Yes and no.

Yes, if your price is high, you won't have many buyers.

No, because there will always be that 1 guy with the money that will overpay if he "really wants it".

As an example - go and buy a cheap 3dfx card nowadays. The 5500s go for 500 bucks if not more.

Retro PC gaming picked up recently but that new fame also backfired and all "retro" stuff now increased prices also. Saw a post in a retro group some time back "what happened, why no one buys retro stuff anymore?" with most of the comments saying that it's above their budget nowadays and can you blame them - any GPU. flagship of it's generation sells for triple digits at least.

At the end of the day it comes down to usefulness - emulators are evolving and backwards comparability is a thing - how long will the "retro" machines keep prices is uncertain.

3 minutes ago, komar said:

Yes and no.

Yes, if your price is high, you won't have many buyers.

No, because there will always be that 1 guy with the money that will overpay if he "really wants it".

As an example - go and buy a cheap 3dfx card nowadays. The 5500s go for 500 bucks if not more.

Retro PC gaming picked up recently but that new fame also backfired and all "retro" stuff now increased prices also. Saw a post in a retro group some time back "what happened, why no one buys retro stuff anymore?" with most of the comments saying that it's above their budget nowadays and can you blame them - any GPU. flagship of it's generation sells for triple digits at least.

At the end of the day it comes down to usefulness - emulators are evolving and backwards comparability is a thing - how long will the "retro" machines keep prices is uncertain.

You also got to keep in mind that the current retro generation is still in the "pc gaming is barely a thing timeframe" so the further you go the more hardware is available from the timeframe. So I do not see this holding up.