Did i max out my new CPU? :)

Greetings from Germany!

Since i read a lot of Threads in english Forums i decided to ask you guys about your opinion to my problem. I recently upgraded my CPU+Mobo, went from a ASUS z270 prime-k and a 7600k @4,8ghz+44ring to a ASUS tuf gaming-wifi H570 + i5  11500 (yeah, i noticed that overclocking is kinda dead so i decided to only mess around with RAM). My GPU is a RX570 8g right now but i guess i'll upgrade to a 3060ti/3070 in... a few years XD... I know that many people would instantly flame me for not going AMD but i am a student and i like budget builds, which imho are intel-builds right now. And 4c/4t is just so annoyingly bad for my purpose (i only play Overwatch and want to stream from time to time). I'm pretty happy with the upgrade and the new horsepower i get. But one thing bugs me and this is where you guys come in.

I have 2 16gb kits from Corsair (Vengeance LPX 3000 C15) which i couldn't get to run on the new platform until i manually adjusted ALL timings except for RTL stuff (i dont even know how much performance i could get through it)... Right now these sticks run at 1.4v, cl14-17-17-30-420 1T with optimized subtimings (safe timings inspirated by ryzen DRAM-calc ^^) in gear 1 with ddr4-2933. memtest 1000% no errors.

My question: I saw some benchmarks regarding gear 1/gear 2 and it always seemed like 2933 gear1 is really really fast. i get around 10k points in cinebench r23 which should be good for this processor. But i get wet dreams when i see RAM-kits with 3600mhz cl14... Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade or should i just be happy that i tuned my system with what i had? I'm afraid that it's just not worth it, especially since kits like that cost around 350€ here, which would be around the cost of my new mobo+cpu ^^'... If someone wants to see all timings just let me know and i'll upload some screenshots, just tell me what you want to see. 🙂

I hope y'all stay safe and healthy. Rough times right now for everyone.

Andi

Since you state budget is an issue for you, I would not consider replacing the memory.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I just want to max out the performance of the CPU. But if i have to pay such a big price for a 2-5% uplift i think it's just not worth it... or is it? I mean... what can i expect from something like a normal 3600 cl16-18-18-38 kit? 

The way I’m reading this You described your old system but not the one you have now which makes things a bit hard to answer.  I might be reading it wrong.  You changed the motherboard but not the cpu correct?  What is the new cpu you refer to then? An h series board won’t OC 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The new CPU is a i5 11500. Old one was a i5 7600k.

8 minutes ago, Andus said:

went from a ASUS z270 prime-k and a 7600k @4,8ghz+44ring to a ASUS tuf gaming-wifi H570 + 11500

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The way I’m reading this You described your old system but not the one you have now which makes things a bit hard to answer.  I might be reading it wrong.  You changed the motherboard but not the cpu correct?  What is the new cpu you refer to then? An h series board won’t OC 

Just now, Latvian Video said:

Missed the “+11500” bit. May have been the way it formatted.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Andus said:

The new CPU is a i5 11500. Old one was a i5 7600k.

Can you reply with a spec list of your current build please. Not the old configuration. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

My question is basically: What performance uplift can i expect/is it worth upgrading to a faster ram kit? 2933 cl14 gear 1 is kinda fast but 3600 cl16 gear 1 should be achievable? 

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Can you reply with a spec list of your current build please. Not the old configuration. 

CPU: i5 11500

Mobo: ASUS H570 TUF Gaming Wi-fi

RAM: Corsair LPX 3000Cl15 with tightened timings to 2933 CL14

PSU: bequiet 500w 

CPU-cooler: Arctic esports duo 34

Storage: samsung evo ssd + old hdd

Airflowcase

GPU: RX570 8g MSI

My understanding and experience is that Intel systems respond better to frequency than timings - obviously both help - if I were you, I'd consider attempting to overclock the memory to 3200-3600 with say CL16/18 or so in Gear 1 and see what happens.

it's free and you just spend time.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I already tried increasing the frequency and i have bad luck with these kits i guess, 3066 isn't even possible, even with looser timings...

2 minutes ago, Andus said:

I already tried increasing the frequency and i have bad luck with these kits i guess, 3066 isn't even possible, even with looser timings...

If you're mostly playing Overwatch, you won't really notice much a difference. The 11500 is strong already, and the Overwatch game caps out at 200fps iirc.

11 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

If you're mostly playing Overwatch, you won't really notice much a difference. The 11500 is strong already, and the Overwatch game caps out at 200fps iirc.

The game caps out at 400fps and i play on 50-75% renderscale (i just love high framerates xD)

1 minute ago, Andus said:

The game caps out at 400fps and i play on 50-75% renderscale (i just love high framerates xD)

What display do you have

At the moment just a 144hz 1080p display, i will upgrade to at least 240hz in the near future. But playing on higher framerates than 300fps is noticable, the game just feels really a lot smoother. Controversial i guess...

I wouldn't pay 350e for what amounts to, like you said, a few percent improvement. And your GPU is kind of weak too. Though I wouldn't pay that much even if I had like a 3070/3080.

• 3 weeks later...

Andus, I just want to high jack your thread with a question for you.

Did you need to flash your bios on the Asus h570 before your i5 11500 would work or did it work straight from the box? (I've had problems in past and before I buy these parts I want to make sure but can't find any information on this specific bios question)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vaege,

sorry for answering so late, haven't been online for a while. No flashing required, it worked straight out of the box.