Dark Rock 4 cpu cooler + RGB fan?

GeorgeMKane

So I'm planning on getting a 3800X or 5800X soon. I like the Dark Rock 4 cpu cooler over the Hyper 212 RGB B.E. cpu cooler that I currently have, for its better cooling capacity.

My question is, can I mount a Corsair LL120 or ML120 RGB fan to the front of the cpu cooler, and mount the fan that comes with the cpu cooler on the other side? Has anyone had success with this (everything running okay and temps a little bit lower)?

My motherboard will be the B550-F non wifi motherboard. I imagine I will have to use the RGB header that is near the cpu_fan header to make this work properly.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

The fans that come with the Dark Rock 4 are poprietary and the fan holding brackets don't match normal 120 or 140mm fans. So no switching out. What you can do is buy a Hyper 212 Evo Black or Arcitc eSports 34 and switch the fan out to a LL or ML fan. They use standard 120mm fan mounting.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks, just wanted to be sure. Still likely going with the Dark Rock 4 cooler, especially if I go for the 5800X. Keep reading temps are not great. D:

On 4/19/2021 at 10:22 PM, GeorgeMKane said:

Has anyone had success with this (everything running okay and temps a little bit lower)?

Just to clarify, this is about the Dark Rock 4 and NOT the Dark Rock Pro 4?  If you're talking about the Dark Rock 4 non-pro version, then only the fan clips for the 135mm Silent Wings fan is proprietary.  The extra set that comes with the cooler is universal.  You should be fine mounting the 120mm RGB fan to the front of the Dark Rock 4 cooler as long as it's not thicker than a standard 120mm fan.  It'll be a bit of a tight squeeze getting the clips to catch onto the cooler but it should fit.  I'm using 2 120mm Arctic P12 fans on my Dark Rock 4 in a push/pull and have no problems at all.  I actually got better temps by about 3C than when I was using the Silent Wings 135mm and a 120 mm Noctua Redux on the back in a push/pull setup.  One thing to look out for though.  The front of the Dark Rock 4 has rubber strips on them for the fan to sit on for vibration reduction.  The 120mm fan will need to be lined up perfectly to sit on the rubber strips. The strips were exactly as wide apart at the width of the Arctic P12 fan.  

I can't comment on mounting the 135mm Silent Wings on the back of the cooler though.  I never thought to try it when I was playing around with it. But I'm about 95% sure it will fit on the back end of the cooler.  I've heard of others saying they moved that fan to the back because of RAM interference.  But I can try it out on my cooler and let you know if you want to absolutely be sure. 

Yeah, it would've been the regular Dark Rock 4, not the Pro. The Pro is a little too beefy for my tastes, but I still want dual fans... and some RGB on it. If I could add a 120mm RGB fan to the Dark Rock non-pro 4, then I would definitely get the 5800X. I think I would need extra connectors for the RGB part though, no?

My plan was to move the big fan to the back, due to yeah RAM interference too, and then mount a 120mm rgb fan at the front. I figured it might be more complicated than I'm trying to make it, in the end.

I know people will say just get an AIO, but I just honestly don't trust water cooling. Also, I have enough rgb case fans, so I would need another rgb hub and more headers, and no thanks on that one. lol!

1 hour ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I think I would need extra connectors for the RGB part though, no?  

My plan was to move the big fan to the back, due to yeah RAM interference too, and then mount a 120mm rgb fan at the front. I figured it might be more complicated than I'm trying to make it, in the end.

I'm not a RGB guy so I'm not sure about all the hubs and headers and stuff. Hopefully someone else can add some input on that or something.  But putting a 120mm on the front of the cooler I can definitely say will work.  I also let my curiosity get the best of me and pulled the 135mm Silent Wings out of storage and tried it out on the back of the cooler and it definitely fits. A 120mm on the front and the Silent Wings on the back will work out just fine. 

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

@57chevy: That's good to know. I'm giving myself an extra few weeks here, of consideration (and saving up a bit more too).

Do you think the silent wings and like a Corsair ML120 fan can run on a splitter just fine, connected to the cpu_fan header? I would have the rgb header next to it for the RGB part of the ML120 RGB fan. Then I can use the second RGB header for the RGB hub that my case fans will be using.

50 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Do you think the silent wings and like a Corsair ML120 fan can run on a splitter just fine, connected to the cpu_fan header?

It's probably fine but normally you don't want to run mismatched fans on the same splitter. The different RPM ratings most likely means your header won't be able to properly match the RPMs for both fans.  One fan will spin faster and the other will spin slower.  Before I matched the fans on my Dark Rock 4, I was using a push/pull but each fan was plugged into a separate header. I think the Silent Wings 135mm spins at 1500 RPM maximum so maybe if you can find an RGB 120mm fan that matches that max RPM, you can get nearly matching RPMs from a splitter.  I could be wrong though so since you got time, search around for advice on mismatched fans on a splitter.  

I mean I could run two ML120 fans on the Dark Rock 4, and just use a case fan splitter for the cpu_fan header, and rgb splitter for the rgb header. I feel like Corsair should make a couple of RGB air coolers though tbh. I'm surprised they haven't, given that not everyone wants to run liquid cooling. Thanks for your help though. I'll update you all here, when I've completed the upgrade I'm doing. 🙂

4 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I mean I could run two ML120 fans on the Dark Rock 4

Unfortunately you won't be able to run two 120mm's on the Dark Rock unless you get a second set of fan clips from BeQuiet.  The cooler comes with a 135mm fan clip only for the Silent Wings and a universal 120mm fan clip for a second fan.  I went and got a second set of fan clips to be able to run two 120mm Arctic fans on my cooler. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with a Noctua NH-U14S and ML140 RGB fans. The completed build is listed below. Thanks again, for everyone's help! 🙂

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/KngJ7P