Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HP 15-bs158c laptop is running slow - despite having 12 GB of ram and a 8th gen core i5. - What gives?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Duo01 said:

I use a hard drive (which is 2TB).

Yea thats your problem. Get a ssd and it will make the system super fast.

I bought the laptop from a retailer back in 2018 and it ran great - up until about a year and a half ago. I reset it in 2019 for performance issues and it ran well for a few months and then has had performance issues again. The disk was always at 100% and I reset it 3 days ago - keeping my personal files. Even opening edge is a tedious and annoying process. My PC takes 2-3 minutes to boot and my family members computer which has 1/3 the memory mine has and a worse core boots in 3 seconds. I've tried Resetting (as mentioned above) (though I haven't done a clean install before, should I do that?) I scanned for corrupt system files, even ran a malware scan. Nothing. I really don't know what's wrong with it. I would use my secondary laptop, but as I posted on here not too long ago the power jack broke and I need to send it somewhere to get repaired. I'm stuck using this laptop and with performance issues, it makes it hard to do my work.

Should I do a clean install?

Could one of the components be damaged? 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. HP support has helped me LITTLE.

Is it an HDD or SSD?
If it's an HDD, you should get an SSD ASAP. Windows isn't designed to run on an HDD and it can speed up the experience by a lot.

•  All Activity
  •  
  •  Mark site read
  •  
  •  Create 
  • Home 
  •  
  • Settings

Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

•  Images are not allowed
  •  
  •  Maximum of 10 URLs
  •  
  •  Maximum of 30 lines

• View signatures?

Show other people's signatures alongside their content
  • Signature
    SizeFont

• Max total size: 20 MB
  • Save
  • Forums Community Standards All Activity My Activity Streams More All Activity
  • Mark site read Create Home Settings

Settings

Manage your account settings, and set up social network integration.

• Overview Email Address Password Security and Privacy Recently Used Devices Display Name Content View Behavior Signature Twitter Microsoft Google Steam Discord

Signature Restrictions

Please ensure your signature complies with the following restrictions:

• Images are not allowed Maximum of 10 URLs Maximum of 30 lines
  • View signatures? Show other people's signatures alongside their content Signature                   SizeFont
    • Drag files here to attach, or choose files... Other Media Max total size: 20 MB

• Save

• All Activity Mark site read Home Settings
  •  
  • Theme Privacy Policy Terms of Use Forum Support
  • Linus Media GroupPowered by Invision Community

Just now, Duo01 said:

Just now, Duo01 said:

And there's why it feels about as responsive as someone who's been dead for several decades.

This post brought to you by a chronic lack of patience and sarcasm!

Also, the PSU tier list + cultists are a joke that nobody should actually take seriously

Zephyrus - Windows 7 gaming rig

Spoiler

AMD Athlon II X2 260 (undervolted to 1.215v w/ FX-era stock heatpiped cooler), 2x2GB 1333MHz CL7 HyperX, Asus M4A77TD, 120GB 840 EVO, 250GB Seagate Barracuda, XFX Radeon HD 7950 w/ TwinFrozr cooler swap, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I w/ Centrino 6300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Previous XP rig (Zenith)

Spoiler

2x Pentium III 1266MHz (cooled by new-old-stock Cooler Master MicroFin coolers), 512MB PC133 ECC, Supermicro P3TDDE, 80GB Barracuda 7200.7 (OS and basic programs), 160GB DiamondMax Plus 9 (games), Radeon 9600 Pro, Enthoo Pro, Corsair CX750M, Windows XP Pro SP3

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB (Falcon w/ busted laser), XB1X 1TB, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Alright, thank you.