Seeking Advice : Upgrade from 8700K to 5900x

Hello friends,

I am experiencing major annoying fps drops when playing videogames (mainly Warzone) and Streaming/recording.
I am playing with the overclock in hopes to squeeze as much as I can from my 8700K @ 5.0ghz but my Aorus z370 gaming 5 doesn't want to cooperate unless I crank up the Voltage to 1.36+ V (otherwise blue screens party) and that makes the cpu toasty (78+ max) even with a kraken x72 (360mm AIO).

I am currently playing on a 2080 super FTW3 Ultra Gaming that I overclocked (+1100 mem / +70 core).

I overclocked my 32go G-Skill Trident Z CL16 to 3333mhz - as I mentionned before - in hopes to squeeze more performance.

I play at a resolution of 2560x1440 (32" 165hz monitor).

My games are all on a 970 pro M.2.

PSU is an EVGA 1200W Gold

When playing the game only my fps fluctuate between 110 to 130fps (at almost low settings). once I start recording or streaming (at 720p - using NVENC of course) the game is not as smooth as before, my fps easily drops by 15-25 fps, and it's not fun.

My question:

I was wondering if upgrading to a 5900x + ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + G-Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16 would be of any help until I manage to score a 3080Ti in the future.

Please advise me as if you were in my situation. 

Sorry if it's the wrong area to post this, it's my very first post in the LTT forum.

Thank you very much

1 minute ago, Youssoufoune said:

Hello friends,

I am experiencing major annoying fps drops when playing videogames (mainly Warzone) and Streaming/recording.
I am playing with the overclock in hopes to squeeze as much as I can from my 8700K @ 5.0ghz but my Aorus z370 gaming 5 doesn't want to cooperate unless I crank up the Voltage to 1.36+ V (otherwise blue screens party) and that makes the cpu toasty (78+ max) even with a kraken x72 (360mm AIO).

I am currently playing on a 2080 super FTW3 Ultra Gaming that I overclocked (+1100 mem / +70 core).

I overclocked my 32go G-Skill Trident Z CL16 to 3333mhz - as I mentionned before - in hopes to squeeze more performance.

I play at a resolution of 2560x1440 (32" 165hz monitor).

My games are all on a 970 pro M.2.

PSU is an EVGA 1200W Gold

When playing the game only my fps fluctuate between 110 to 130fps (at almost low settings). once I start recording or streaming (at 720p - using NVENC of course) the game is not as smooth as before, my fps easily drops by 15-25 fps, and it's not fun.

My question:

I was wondering if upgrading to a 5900x + ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + G-Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16 would be of any help until I manage to score a 3080Ti in the future.

First, Welcome To The Forum. 

Second, Do you want to keep your 8700k pc for like a secondary pc or something else. It might be a Warzone problem instead of the pc problem imo. 

Third, 5900x is a great buy from 8700k if you can find one in stock. I might skip the 3080 Ti because the vrm is half of 3090 and charged $1000 (now maybe MSRP is not a thing yet in pc market). You have a Evga 1200w psu can put in the 5900x build and buy a 750w psu for 8700k. 

1 minute ago, iCoNrant said:

might skip the 3080 Ti because the vrm is half of 3090 and charged $100

I'd assume you meant vram.

Nothing is confirmed about the 3080ti, in colliding but not limited to; the price, vram, release date, and existence.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'm surprised an 8700k would be struggling with that. Have you tried a fresh Windows install? Possibly something software related? 

If it really is hardware related, a 5900X would be sweet, but it's overkill on core count. A 5800X will do just fine, possibly faster since it's a single chiplet.  

Also you can get Ripjaws instead of the Trident unless you want RGB, and it'll be just as good for way less money, a consideration since DDR4 will be on its way out very soon. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

3 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

First, Welcome To The Forum. 

Second, Do you want to keep your 8700k pc for like a secondary pc or something else. It might be a Warzone problem instead of the pc problem imo. 

Third, 5900x is a great buy from 8700k if you can find one in stock. I might skip the 3080 Ti because the vrm is half of 3090 and charged $1000 (now maybe MSRP is not a thing yet in pc market). You have a Evga 1200w psu can put in the 5900x build and buy a 750w psu for 8700k. 

Thank you for your reply.

And thank you I am excited to be here and learn from all of the members.

I don't mind keeping it and I don't mind selling it (but the resell value is pretty low with the new releases tbh).

The game runs fine for my friends with their 3900x or 5600x.

The 3080Ti is intresting if it launches in May. as per videocardz.com's article it was spotted already being shipping to distributors in the us at least (I am in Canada).

But do you think the combo I am planning would help ? at least for now until a gpu upgrade happens ? 

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Nothing is confirmed about the 3080ti, in colliding but not limited to; the price, vram, release date, and existence.

Apparently it started shipping to distributors as per VideoCardz.com, I am not very confident in scoring on at launch but just add it to my planned upgrades.

7 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I'm surprised an 8700k would be struggling with that. Have you tried a fresh Windows install? Possibly something software related? 

If it really is hardware related, a 5900X would be sweet, but it's overkill on core count. A 5800X will do just fine, possibly faster since it's a single chiplet.  

Also you can get Ripjaws instead of the Trident unless you want RGB, and it'll be just as good for way less money, a consideration since DDR4 will be on its way out very soon. 

I am surprized too, I spent the past two weeks watching benchmarks etc that were reassuring. But mine is struggling. I cleaned my computer from every single software I don't use, optimized windows 10 by disabling all unused and taxing features, but it's still stuggling. 

I was looking at the 5800x but the (always wanting more) me, wants the 5900x to be on the safe side for the next 4-5 years.
as for the memory, I have the o11 dynamic, as you know it's a "show off case" so the ripjaws wouldn't look good 😓.

46 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

My bad there for typo