Can i use a new router with my ISP provided fiber modem/router combo?

AshleyKitty123
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,

@AshleyKitty123

Firstly, the HG8121H is an ONT and gateway device. That means it not only allows you to access your ISP’s fiber network, but also has a built-in router, switch and access point. From my experience, these ISP-provided devices in residential applications cannot be replaced since 1.) ONTs are specifically set up for the ISP network they are plugged into, and 2.) not many affordable 3rd party alternatives are available.

Spoiler

If you want to replace the ISP-provided ONT with your own hardware, you’ll have to talk directly with the ISP. You’ll need to let them know why you want to do this and what kind of hardware you’ll be replacing it with, so they can give you the relevant details for ONT access to their network. This type of hardware is usually pro-sumer/enterprise-grade, so expect a price to match.

Secondly, you can do what @fuzz0r suggested, but I’d advise you to still go through your ISP to determine the proper way to do this. My experience with Hauwei ONTs is that there’s no single one-flip switch that activates bridge mode.

Hello everyone

I would like to purchase a new router to use instead of the one the isp provided.

I was thinking of purchasing a TP-Link AX73 ( is it a good choice?) as an upgrade to my existing Huawei EchoLife HG8121H (fiber connection).  Is there a way i can configure the isp one to act just as a modem and for me to hook up the new one as the router, and if so, how do I go about doing that.

I don't know much about networking, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

You should (not all allow this though) be able to put the ISP provided modem/router in bridge mode.

That will allow you to hook up your own gear.

@AshleyKitty123

Firstly, the HG8121H is an ONT and gateway device. That means it not only allows you to access your ISP’s fiber network, but also has a built-in router, switch and access point. From my experience, these ISP-provided devices in residential applications cannot be replaced since 1.) ONTs are specifically set up for the ISP network they are plugged into, and 2.) not many affordable 3rd party alternatives are available.

Spoiler

If you want to replace the ISP-provided ONT with your own hardware, you’ll have to talk directly with the ISP. You’ll need to let them know why you want to do this and what kind of hardware you’ll be replacing it with, so they can give you the relevant details for ONT access to their network. This type of hardware is usually pro-sumer/enterprise-grade, so expect a price to match.

Secondly, you can do what @fuzz0r suggested, but I’d advise you to still go through your ISP to determine the proper way to do this. My experience with Hauwei ONTs is that there’s no single one-flip switch that activates bridge mode.