-10 degrees in cooling worth the whine?

Doug_Dangger

My case is an el cheapo I know.  I wanted the smallest size possible that would fit my components for less than $50.  I bought the Deepcool.  When hard gaming my gpu is at 82C and cpu is at 70C.

After putting the front fans the gpu is now down to 73C and cpu is at 61C on heavy load.  There is a whine from the 3 x 1" fans that pierces my ears.  It reminds me of the servers from my data center at work.  LOL!

Should I just remove them and deal with the +10C hotter temps?  If it'll help my components last longer maybe I will.  Or just slap on headphones.

20210414_165925.jpg

20210414_165953.jpg

Do you not have a 120 mm fans for the front instead of that?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

4 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Do you not have a 120 mm fans for the front instead of that?

I do but the frame and the vent holes aren't the most free flowing so the 120mm fan I have may not be flowing well.  I would have to Dremel an opening to be wide open.

32 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

I do but the frame and the vent holes aren't the most free flowing so the 120mm fan I have may not be flowing well.  I would have to Dremel an opening to be wide open.

That is what I would do or 3D print a new front panel for better cooling

How about a compromise?
Manually set (lower) the fan speeds until the noise doesn't bother you and then check the temps.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

10 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

That is what I would do or 3D print a new front panel for better cooling

He could do that or buy another case if he so wish. If it were me that's what I would do if the GPU temp were that bad.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

I can't Dremel out a bigger opening hole on the front 120mm fan.  I'd have to cut out part of the drive cage.  Even though I don't have any platter drives in there now, I may get a 4 or 8tb in the future to hold bigger files.

I guess I can suck up the high pitch whine.  It's still not as bad as my cousin's R9 290 reference.  🤣

53 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

What even are those little fans

5.25 drive bay fans.  I'm using it as an intake fan for my case.  The front 120mm is being partially blocked by the drive cage.  Which I can't Dremel out.  That 5.25" bay is the only place I can put an intake fan.

I might be able to cut a hole below it and put an 80mm fan in place of another 120mm.

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

Can you put a fan in the bottom of the case

There is a 120mm fan there but the drive cage blocks a good part of it.  There is another space above it but the front panel has support legs that would block it.  I can probably put an 80mm above the 120mm with a little Dremeling.