Upgrading CPU, Mobo, and Ram. Should I do a fresh OS install?

Currently system:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth FX990  R3.0

CPU:     AMD FX8370

Ram:    Corsair DDR3-2133 32gigs (4x8)

Upgrading to:

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming AMD AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 and 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard

CPU:    AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

Ram:    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 4000 (PC-32000) C19 Desktop Memory - Black

From what I figure, everything should work just fine together and that's okay.  My question is, can I swap the parts outs and reinstall my SSD without having to do a complete reinstall of Windoze?  If I could just remove the old Mobo, CPU, and Ram and then put the new parts in without having to reinstall the OS would be great.  The biggest thing I use my system for is reading the news (an addiction of mine), watching movies (over 600 movies in my collection and growing), and last of all, playing World of Warcraft (playing from the very start, vanilla)

Next month will up the ram to a full 32 gigs and hopefully will purchase a 3D printer in 4 months to play with.

What would be the way that my fellow forum members would tackle this situation?

Typically you would always reinstall windows rather than expecting the os to work with a complete hardware change.

You can try to just use the same install if you want just don't expect the OS to run well.

generally, yes it is recommended to reinstall windows.

also the machine you're building is way overkill for wow and movies.

a cheaper b550 board and a ryzen 5 3600 and 3200c16 ram would be more than enough and you'd save quite a bit of money.

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Currently system:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth FX990  R3.0

CPU:     AMD FX8370

Ram:    Corsair DDR3-2133 32gigs (4x8)

Upgrading to:

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming AMD AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 and 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard

CPU:    AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

Ram:    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 4000 (PC-32000) C19 Desktop Memory - Black

From what I figure, everything should work just fine together and that's okay.  My question is, can I swap the parts outs and reinstall my SSD without having to do a complete reinstall of Windoze?  If I could just remove the old Mobo, CPU, and Ram and then put the new parts in without having to reinstall the OS would be great.  The biggest thing I use my system for is reading the news (an addiction of mine), watching movies (over 600 movies in my collection and growing), and last of all, playing World of Warcraft (playing from the very start, vanilla)

Next month will up the ram to a full 32 gigs and hopefully will purchase a 3D printer in 4 months to play with.

What would be the way that my fellow forum members would tackle this situation?

Dont worry

just put the same ssd in, no problem.

that issue was way back in time, where the software couldnt automatically adjust to new hardware,

that has been solved long time ago.

Once you boot into your new system, it may take a while, windows will adjust its services and configuration according to your hardware

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I was thinking.  Maybe if I reinstall the OS that I can take care of all the rest of the software by doing a restore from a backup?  What do you think?  Would a restore do it?  I am under the belief that backup/restore only work if doing the entire hard-drive.

5 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

that issue was way back in time, where the software couldnt automatically adjust to new hardware,

that has been solved long time ago.

Once you boot into your new system, it may take a while, windows will adjust its services and configuration according to your hardware

uh no just because it works better now doesn't mean that the issue was "solved" . It's been shown a considerable amount of times that just moving the same disk between different configs can result in driver conflicts and its still a far better idea to just do a clean install. 

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

uh no just because it works better now doesn't mean that the issue was "solved" . It's been shown a considerable amount of times that just moving the same disk between different configs can result in driver conflicts and its still a far better idea to just do a clean install. 

pretty much solved