Nothing EVER Works!

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Oh Linus, nothing ever does

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

+1 for Home Assistant. Can even run it on HyperV if you don't have a dedicated machine for it. Although it runs on a rPi just fine

image.png.f2e746df006aa52431a958c335d46b83.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Why doesn't Linus just start his own Garage Door opener company? How is he ever going to compete with Elon if he's only running youtube(s)?

Make it raspberry pi/other based too for ease of installation.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

One solution that maybe would've solved this issue midway is to use electromagnetic shielding for the wires to the relay board.

As an electrical engineering student we learned a lot about EMI (electromagnetic interference) and a quick and easy solution is to:
- make your wires as short as possible,

- twist your wires to create a twisted pair, which solve the majority of lower frequency interference.

If this doesnt work, use a shielded cable and it should be good.

(for a more thorough explanation, I can send some interesting reading material)

Why doesn't he just use smart RF remote that can be connected to wifi? 

Like this one. He could just program his 433Mhz keyfob into it and that's it

Wouldn't it have been easier to use a SwitchBot to push the garage door button?

Linus did it wrong. I was going to use ewelink (sonoff) or tuya or something like that to control my garage door because I also didnt want to pay for myq. Then myq ditched the fee and the myq hub was $16 on amazon. BUT to use voice, you have to use IFTTT with it which is now unusable with its fees, and it doesnt let you open the door by voice, as hes covered. However you can use voice to open and close your garage door easily with kloee simple commands. Sign into myq in simplecommands, create two routines for closing and opening each garage door, they will show up as scenes when you pair it to google home or alexa. Then write a routine in alexa or google home where when i say "open garage door" it runs scene "open garage". No need for a raspberry pi and home assistant. Ive been using it for a year now with no problems.

Screenshot_20210410-121336.png

Screenshot_20210410-120949.png

6 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Sometimes, grounding only on one end will make a big difference as well.

How many twists per inch?

As many as you can. In a nutshell each 'loop' creates an EM field, due to the switched polarity of the loops, each set will cancel eachother out. 

If you increase the number of loops, you decrease the size of each loop, so the induced field is smaller. It's the kind of thing where an increased granularity benefits the total result. e.g. +3 -3 is worse than +1 -1 +1 -1 +1 -1

2 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I understand how it works. I have never seen power cables from a power supply twisted: Chokes, yes, but not twisted.

It's because this is not a power line but a signal line. In power lines you have a constant supply voltage. What most people don't know is that this is never truly constant. In most circuitry there is a lot of jitter and skew on the power line. This doesn't matter because the circuitry just needs the higher voltage and is filtered multiple times untill it is really send out. Therefore people dont twist power lines. But in this case, the signal on the line would be a propagating pulse or a step function. The sensing of this level is very prone to inefficiencies, so twisting is recommended.

Wouldn't OpenGarage (opengarage.io) be a far cheaper and simpler (and more responsive) option? It integrates with Home-Assistant and uses a relay-based system like he used to have. Plus, it can detect garage door state using a distance sensor and it works with Home-Assistant. No cloud API required. 

autopilottonowhere.com is a really good website.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

TL;DW

Don't be cheap and pay the $1/month.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

TL;DW

Don't be cheap and pay the $1/month.

The video explicitly states the $1/month doesn't exist anymore but you can only CLOSE the doors, not Open. Also their authentication SUCKS (I mean it has the same issue as floatplane *coughLUKEPLSGETONTHIScough*)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, rcmaehl said:

The video explicitly states the $1/month doesn't exist anymore but you can only CLOSE the doors, not Open. Also their authentication SUCKS (I mean it has the same issue as floatplane *coughLUKEPLSGETONTHIScough*)

He made it seem like that issue was only with the iftt implementation. Not the entire app.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have been wanting to start using HomeAssistant to control my ever expanding number of smart home devices. This video is honestly hilarious because it shows exactly what issues you might see when using technology. 

Ok so Electro boom is right about the long wires being an issues.  But hes wrong about the solution.  You don't want a filter, you just need a either a transistor or a mosfet depending on the signal the board is using.  I'm going to assum you have an extra board for the controller as you had it out while the system was on the wall?  So DM me for the address and send it to me.  I'll rig up a micro circuit that the relay can trigger and send it back free of charge.  Its SUCH and each fix! I can even build it with a jack in the housing if you have a spare housing you can send.  That way the relay just plugs into it.

To be clear I would been the control board for the garage door with the button, you know where you added the wires.  I wouldn't need the relay board.  

Oh as evidence of my bonofides I give you my gaming/engineering deck at home......  See attached

20210410_142638.jpg

At one point he said that he couldn't change the settings on the Chinese wifi relay because it wouldn't connect to the new access point and there was no way to change or reset things without connecting to it.

Couldn't he have just temporarily used the old access point to connect and update the network settings or set it up to just repeat the signal from the new AP? Seems like it would have saved a lot of money and time on things that were later abandoned.

Hey Linus,

First time poster here but wanted to point out that you misrepresented what the Nabu Casa cloud subscription really is. This is not a hosted version of home assistant but a sophisticated proxy for remotely accessing your home assistant without the security concerns of the DIY port forwarding option. It also allows for Google Home and Alexa integrations as well.

Now that I think about it I could reprogram that old banger for you as well.  Probably.  I'd lay high odds it had an open uart port.  Or some pin shorting to reset or the like.  

I really don't understand the point of this whole thing. Great, you can open your garage door at any location... why?

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I really don't understand the point of this whole thing. Great, you can open your garage door at any location... why?

I have a myQ compatible opener, and I like being able to see if the door is open or closed wherever I am. Sometimes family members stop by when I'm at work, and I am able to check that the door is closed when they leave (I have cats, so it's important). That's been handy several times, and I've only had the opener for a few months. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Hey Linus,

I went through a pretty similar adventure. With a Chamberlain garage door opener in the lower mainland.
I ultimately opted for a Relay style approach in a similar way:
spacer.png
https://imgur.com/a/GGhkcT2

But I put a Solid State Relay on the board quite close to the button. I also used physical reed switches on the door to know when the door is fully opened or closed. The button and 2 reed swtiches were wired up to an ESP32 PoE. I chose to wire it to ethernet instead of using Wifi. Its programmed with EspHome:
https://esphome.io/components/cover/index.html

This works natively in Home Assistant, knows when it's open or closed. And unlike the MyQ service it doesn't require an internet connection.

ha.PNG.b822a96e9fade5e9ccbc305244e376bc.PNG

You'll find on the homeassistant subreddit that the MyQ integration is quite popular (likely because people arn't left with much of a choice). But it often goes down because its a cloud service and MyQ will often change their API without notice breaking the homeassistant integration. So you'll eventually findout that MyQ doesn't always work either!

I have been using this esphome solution for about a year and half now and its been rock solid.

I would 2nd bubsterboo's build as a solution. Putting an optocoupler between the relay and garage circuitry will solve your stability issue:

Opto-isolator-garage.png

https://i.ibb.co/jLZQMS2/Opto-isolator-garage.png

A Lite-On LTV-817 Optocoupler will work well.
LTV-817_4-DIP_7.62mm.jpg

47 minutes ago, bubsterboo said:

Hey Linus,

I went through a pretty similar adventure. With a Chamberlain garage door opener in the lower mainland.
I ultimately opted for a Relay style approach in a similar way:
spacer.png
https://imgur.com/a/GGhkcT2

But I put a Solid State Relay on the board quite close to the button. I also used physical reed switches on the door to know when the door is fully opened or closed. The button and 2 reed swtiches were wired up to an ESP32 PoE. I chose to wire it to ethernet instead of using Wifi. Its programmed with EspHome:
https://esphome.io/components/cover/index.html

This works natively in Home Assistant, knows when it's open or closed. And unlike the MyQ service it doesn't require an internet connection.

ha.PNG.b822a96e9fade5e9ccbc305244e376bc.PNG

You'll find on the homeassistant subreddit that the MyQ integration is quite popular (likely because people arn't left with much of a choice). But it often goes down because its a cloud service and MyQ will often change their API without notice breaking the homeassistant integration. So you'll eventually findout that MyQ doesn't always work either!

I have been this esphome solution for about a year and half now and its been rock solid.