Is this server worth $750?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, bcuz said:

"192GB - 12x16GB PC3-10600R DDR3 Registered"

Ok, that's about (depending on the seller) $400 alone (I've seen between $350 and $500+) after I did some digging on ebay. It shouldn't be that much but that seems to be the rough going rate for that much memory right now.

Hey! I'm buying myself a refurb server for my bday, and wanted to get some third party opinions before I spend a bunch of money on the wrong things.

Main use cases (I have a bunch of other stuff I want to try):
- NAS
- Plex Server
- Probably hosting a few MC servers
- Hosting a few DBs for personal use
- Testing out all the free stuff I get while I'm in school (Windows Server 2019, SCSM, etc)
- A bunch of other random stuff at different times.

Server I found:
- Dell PowerEdge R720
- 2x E5-2690
- 192GB PC3-10600R
- H710 RAID controller
- 8x 2.5" drive trays
- 2x 750W PSU
- $750 USD

Do you think the server makes sense for the price/use case? I'm fine getting something overkill as I have plenty of ideas for future use, but if I can get more performance for the price or am missing something important, let me know.

Thanks!

re you in the us?

Tht price seems pretty high for. r720., esp for 1st gen chips.

Also not gret for a nas due to the 2.5in bays. Id get one with a 3.5 in bays. How much storage do you want in a nas?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

re you in the us?

Also not gret for a nas due to the 2.5in bays. Id get one with a 3.5 in bays. How much storage do you want in a nas?

Yeah, I'm in the US.

Not really sure what a good price is. Which is why I'm here 🙂 

Good to know. I'm not sure yet about the amount of storage I'll be using. I was thinking about adding SSDs over time.

That's a terrible price for what you are getting.

Unless the drive bays are filled with fresh (aka new) drives. If the bays are empty, that's even worse

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

re you in the us?

There is a version with 3.5" drives but that's going to require swapping stuff out (more money invested) or finding something else, but $750 might not be too out there since it's got 192GB of RAM which is going to run around $400 to $500 alone right now.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

That's a terrible price for what you are getting.

Unless the drive bays are filled with fresh (aka new) drives. If the bays are empty, that's even worse

It's about what I've seen so far. Oh I forgot to mention it also has rails and bezel.

No drives included 😕

Just now, bcuz said:

It's about what I've seen so far. Oh I forgot to mention it also has rails and bezel.

No drives included 😕

Is that price with shipping included or is that extra?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Is that price with shipping included or is that extra?

Shipping is free 5-7 days.

Just now, bcuz said:

No drives included 😕

I got an r720 for free not that long ago, with everything but the drives. (and, admittedly, only 64GB of ECC Reg DDR3 RAM, but that's more than enough for anything I ever needed it for)

I'm on the east coast of USALand. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, bcuz said:

Shipping is free 5-7 days.

So it's more like $600 for the server and $150 shipping which is just added into the price so I'd say all in that's not bad especially with the amount of RAM you're getting as that's a bit pricey right now (depending on if it's 16GB sticks or not)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I got an r720 for free not that long ago, with everything but the drives. (and, admittedly, only 64GB of ECC Reg DDR3 RAM, but that's more than enough for anything I ever needed it for)

I'm on the east coast of USALand. 

How did that happen 😂

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

So it's more like $600 for the server and $150 shipping which is just added into the price so I'd say all in that's not bad especially with the amount of RAM you're getting as that's a bit pricey right now (depending on if it's 16GB sticks or not)

1 minute ago, bcuz said:

How did that happen 😂

Craigslist. I dunno about your area, but a lot of those old rack servers from that era/timeframe are being given away.

ANyway, personally speaking, I'd keep looking

1 minute ago, bcuz said:

Yeah, I'm in the US.

Not really sure what a good price is. Which is why I'm here 🙂 

Good to know. I'm not sure yet about the amount of storage I'll be using. I was thinking about adding SSDs over time.

Is this locally or on ebay?

If your going ssd only, the 2.5 vs 3.5 won't mtter.

Just checking you don't mind the noise nd power consumption. These ren't quiet, and  may cost hundreds a year in power to run them.

Id look at getting desktop grade stuff for the lower power.

Or if you want a server, how about this guy, only 64gb of ram, but its the newer gen chips https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R630-Server-2X-E5-2623-V3-8-Cores-64GB-RAM-2X-500GB-HDD/265118189623?hash=item3dba468837:g:5OsAAOSwyahgcJjH

Or get a cheaper r620, you probably don't need the 192gb. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R620-12-Core-2x-Intel-E5-2620-v2-96GB-H710-2-5-8-Bay-No-HDD/313474352552?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item48fc8705a8%3Ag%3AqvsAAOSwlOZgY30r&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkRjLZq23gAR%2BKma9gM2Z1hu%2B3kDmt08xXQiVJ%2BX4FYQ%2BPxvtgFbnT%2FEOvUEIA%2FuQ6%2F7Kjghzuck8prlotDpbggcZ1Qg1l%2FIt9LlZMtjZxlH7lUGjyCagyfz46JYVyCFBtr5A0STfwph1tdwoHNcy1%2B2yHtcjKbskuSie2Lp%2FvVzDJRIEpaMyJzoPiQIQ8a%2F0ahYIO%2F2jA68NH2u8Wmv9Lr%2BwLgaiZX4iXqqzgtU4gAevK6laKZ9V%2BmLZ759aBGEfMmzjiHatQ1rP08nzdaj%2Ffj4pBGRKv9e98lpwYYwcD168myhD8TV2BjYdD4CRRm3xZ0fsfqOJVoBh1si2gGFJ7OhfsFQ5h094xg5%2F%2FrRlJD6HaYPGPkxbZb%2Bbkd575i6XNdxC2Frg7aSPTY5fgfV5luT50MM87hplfDbX7DNrfxZKkoT5t9m7jzfPZxzZfYjI6Y0JkvxZBgm6yriEHdFNV%2BqvPfi1bfwO805c386OpsxeG673h0zjYTVcEclobJQSfQWpWxj47x7cWX7wwStZ1gNToqQWzHqNJ7keokqHaWjb0cjySkrKTMAcbAfu%2BQ%2Bulhv0yGXQZHaZfy4dIpOAoIC5ryKMHi9Z9q%2FjnXKyXbfi9uh7OCqVSmebZpvblJTHtZ%2FmYMD%2FP6pmc%2BIIstK6mJBcdmK5Q068xIAQYdRu7aVumsZ2ZT5VvSoRnw3cbL2RCtRHZHj7Odx6GE7f63j0rvLjsKEMQCM9xl3AAuCq9978PPyl2aSCzxf5%2B8%2FKud7cyJNkZcCgRkyI826Tu9h%2Fc3w%3D%3D|cksum%3A313474352552b56d3f4d09f74b059f900491c6973c14|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524&LH_BIN=1

Just now, bcuz said:

Ok, that's about (depending on the seller) $400 alone (I've seen between $350 and $500+) after I did some digging on ebay. It shouldn't be that much but that seems to be the rough going rate for that much memory right now.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you don't need 192GB of memory then definitely something local or cheaper would be good. The ones @Electronics Wizardy linked are really good and the R630 uses DDR4 memory and if it's anything like the R620 its decently quiet at low to medium load.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

If you don't need 192GB of memory then definitely something local or cheaper would be good. The ones @Electronics Wizardy linked are really good and the R630 uses DDR4 memory and if it's anything like the R620 its decently quiet at low to medium load.

Yeah I found some other options, but because one of the thing I'm planning to do is host game servers, the single core is a pretty big factor. The cheaper servers I've seen that have similar clock speeds have 1/3 - 1/4 as many cores.

192GB of RAM is definitely overkill and partially contributes to the cost. 64GB should be plenty.

Just now, bcuz said:

Yeah I found some other options, but because one of the thing I'm planning to do is host game servers, the single core is a pretty big factor. The cheaper servers I've seen that have similar clock speeds have 1/3 - 1/4 as many cores.

There is a lot more to single thread speed than clock speed. These are all running pretty old chips. If you want good game server performance, id get something like a i7 10700 here. There also pretty cheap now, and much faster in single thread tasks.

192GB of RAM is definitely overkill and partially contributes to the cost. 64GB should be plenty.

I can talk to this seller and ask for less ram on the server. Would it be worth going somewhere else for it?

This one's on Amazon, so I know I have their "Amazon Renewed Guarantee" or whatever. Haven't had the best luck with eBay in the past.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is a lot more to single thread speed than clock speed. These are all running pretty old chips. If you want good game server performance, id get something like a i7 10700 here. There also pretty cheap now, and much faster in single thread tasks.

Yeah, I would probably not use this one just for that, but it's one of the things I would. I want to get something rack-mountable, and from what I've seen it would cost more to build something with desktop hardware. I could be totally off, so feel free to correct me if that's the case. I also considered getting something cheaper for now ($200-400) and then doing a second one later w/ better specs.

Just now, bcuz said:

I can talk to this seller and ask for less ram on the server. Would it be worth going somewhere else for it?

This one's on Amazon, so I know I have their "Amazon Renewed Guarantee" or whatever. Haven't had the best luck with eBay in the past.

Yeah, I would probably not use this one just for that, but it's one of the things I would. I want to get something rack-mountable, and from what I've seen it would cost more to build something with desktop hardware. I could be totally off, so feel free to correct me if that's the case. I also considered getting something cheaper for now ($200-400) and then doing a second one later w/ better specs.

You in Washington DC or State?

EDIT

Because CL may be an option for you. I know the DC one has tons of good options

You in Washington DC or State?

State

Just now, bcuz said:

Ebay is pretty good, Ive gotten a lot of servers there, and buyer protection works well. 

Hunt locally too, there best deals are locally.

If you want to get cheaper, id go with a r620, the 1u version( you probably don't need >8 2.5in drives or the extra slots of 2u)

1 minute ago, bcuz said:

State

Are you sold on a rack formfactor?

The noise from those is pretty dire