Upgrade to a high end display or wait for GPU

Refols
Go to solution Solved by dutchninjapanda,

I would prepare for the future and just buy a better display now so that you won't have to upgrade it again. In the interim, your games will still look even better on a new display, then once you get that new GPU, you'll be able to really utilize that high refresh rate. I am in the same boat as I am running a GTX 1060, but just upgraded to a 1440p 170Hz monitor because I needed a new one and my GPU is nowhere close to pushing 170fps at 1440p in most games, but it can still put out around 60fps, so I just make sure to have G-sync enabled and it looks way better than my old monitor, even if I can't drive the high refresh rate yet.

With the current shortage in GPUs, I'm at a crossroads. I'm currently using an old display (LG 27" at 60Hz), that is already showing symptons of failing. Is it worth to go for a higher frequency display even if my current setup may not run it so well? Or should I go for one that will work better with what I have now and maybe later, after upgrading my gpu, upgrade my display again?

Current Setup:

- Ryzen 3 3200G (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo);
- Nitro Sapphire RX 570 8GB;

- Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB at 3200Mhz);
- Gigabyte Aorus B450 M;

- Kingston SSD 1TB;

- EVGA 550W;

I usually run my games at medium to high settings and full HD, mostly single player (Cyberpunk, MH: World, Tomb Raider, XCOM) and sometimes multiplayer shooters with friends (R6: Siege and Valorant). The only thing that is not at factory settings is my memory profile. The reason for not using a stock cooler, is because I live in a really warm place, and the temps on my cpu were bothering me, specially in summer days, when gaming for many hours or under heavy load.

(And sorry for any mistakes, english is not my first language).

2 minutes ago, Refols said:

With the current shortage in GPUs, I'm at a crossroads. I'm currently using an old display (LG 27" at 60Hz), that is already showing symptons of failing. Is it worth to go for a higher frequency display even if my current setup may not run it so well? Or should I go for one that will work better with what I have now and maybe later, after upgrading my gpu, upgrade my display again?

Current Setup:

- Gigabyte Aorus B450 M;

- Kingston SSD 1TB;

- EVGA 550W;

I usually run my games at medium to high settings and full HD, mostly single player (Cyberpunk, MH: World, Tomb Raider, XCOM) and sometimes multiplayer shooters with friends (R6: Siege and Valorant). The only thing that is not at factory settings is my memory profile. The reason for not using a stock cooler, is because I live in a really warm place, and the temps on my cpu were bothering me, specially in summer days, when gaming for many hours or under heavy load.

get 1080p 144hz, lg has great deals of $350 for those and i also recommend a msi g271 i use one its great, and its about $200-280 depding on where you buy it

7 minutes ago, Refols said:

Current Setup:

- Gigabyte Aorus B450 M;

- Kingston SSD 1TB;

- EVGA 550W;

Upgrading to a 144 hz or faster panel would be good idea in my opinion, especially if your current monitor is about to fail. 1080p or 1440p is up to you. I for myself prefer larger screens with lower resolutions because I sit back quite a bit. But that's up to you. Your graphics card should have no problem running 1440p. Playing at a lower resolution is then also an option but if you stick with the same size of 27", the added pixel density (sharpness) would make it possible to reduce certain render settings in game an have an equally great image as before. 

With the current market situation I'd stick to that graphics card a while longer. 

If the monitor is failing and you really need a new one I would go for one with the specs you want even if your current GPU might not be able to fully utilize it. And then upgrade the GPU when its sensible.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

I would prepare for the future and just buy a better display now so that you won't have to upgrade it again. In the interim, your games will still look even better on a new display, then once you get that new GPU, you'll be able to really utilize that high refresh rate. I am in the same boat as I am running a GTX 1060, but just upgraded to a 1440p 170Hz monitor because I needed a new one and my GPU is nowhere close to pushing 170fps at 1440p in most games, but it can still put out around 60fps, so I just make sure to have G-sync enabled and it looks way better than my old monitor, even if I can't drive the high refresh rate yet.

Thank you for all the replies.

I'm going to look for a good display and try to get one with 144/170Hz at a good price.