Does anyone know how to use the source sdk to make a standalone game

I want to make a standalone EXE game based off the Epistle 3 story using source but I don't know where to start and I can find anything about this.

The only stuff I can find is for mapping or making a mod. I just want someone to be able to download this run the exe and play the game without needing half life 2 or anything like that

What is epistle 3? a halflife mod?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I still don't understand, you want to make a game from scratch from that story?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I still don't understand, you want to make a game from scratch from that story?

Yes I want to take that use source and have a fully self-contained game

1 hour ago, Linus No Beard said:

Yes I want to take that use source and have a fully self-contained game

What exactly you want to have? That site is just some text story, how that relates to any game?

Even if you have the source code you need some knowledge of how to program and compile it.

14 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Even if you have the source code you need some knowledge of how to program and compile it.

this is not rocket science I want to use the valve source engine to make a game with the story of Epistle 3

The source engine sits in an odd world compared to other game engines. First of all source was never really made for use outside of Valve, and therefore the design and documentation are lacking. Second a lot of the documentation refers to "source engine mods", though very few of these state that these "mods" can essentially be a start from scratch basis. 

You would be better off using a different engine such as unity, unreal, and godot to name a few popular choices. 

The last thing is don't trivialize the process of making a game, even the smallest games have hundreds of person hours put into them, no its not rocket science but neither is it child's play.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

55 minutes ago, lutzee said:

The source engine sits in an odd world compared to other game engines. First of all source was never really made for use outside of Valve, and therefore the design and documentation are lacking. Second a lot of the documentation refers to "source engine mods", though very few of these state that these "mods" can essentially be a start from scratch basis. 

You would be better off using a different engine such as unity, unreal, and godot to name a few popular choices. 

The last thing is don't trivialize the process of making a game, even the smallest games have hundreds of person hours put into them, no its not rocket science but neither is it child's play.

the main reason i want to use source even though i am good with other engine's is because i want that half life feel for my game i already made a mock of the game in unity and i just could not get the same feel as if it was a source game.

also my it's not rocket science was in response to some reply's i was getting that did not understand what i wanted to do

You would need to licence the game engine, these go for around 250k>1.1 Million depending on what your doing. However seeing your breaking copyright law (making a derivative of a published work) I am unsure if you would be able to get a licence.

49 minutes ago, amckern said:

You would need to licence the game engine, these go for around 250k>1.1 Million depending on what your doing. However seeing your breaking copyright law (making a derivative of a published work) I am unsure if you would be able to get a licence.

It looks like the source SDK is free for all steam users. I don't think this means that you will be able to sell a game on the market without paying a licensing fee or make a completely standalone executable, but you can use the software development kit to piggyback your content on existing source games.

EDIT:

Found the licence

On 4/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, Linus No Beard said:

the main reason i want to use source even though i am good with other engine's is because i want that half life feel for my game i already made a mock of the game in unity and i just could not get the same feel as if it was a source game.

also my it's not rocket science was in response to some reply's i was getting that did not understand what i wanted to do

How is the game feel linked to an engine ? All engine can display the same exact thing on the screen. Hell I display the same exact view in Custom DirectX engine, Custom OpenGL engine, Solidworks and WebGL. You couldn't tell which is which.

21 hours ago, Franck said:

How is the game feel linked to an engine ? All engine can display the same exact thing on the screen. Hell I display the same exact view in Custom DirectX engine, Custom OpenGL engine, Solidworks and WebGL. You couldn't tell which is which.

how source handles lighting sound physics textures and movement i know i that if i knew more about C++ or C# and OpenGL i could recreate that in any engine but i dont