Upgrading my motherboard, is it necessary/beneficial?

So i’m gonna be putting in my 3070 into my pc. I currently have a b450 pro vdh max paired with a ryzen 7 3700x. I’m thinking of upgrading but have had mixed answers. some say I should be fine with this motherboard. Others says i should upgrade. what would be most beneficial? I was planning on upgrading to the B550 gaming plus from MSI btw. 

7681A6D0-7B8A-4095-A8B2-2EED525EDD72.png

@alexinho2_ I see no point from upgrading the board unless you wanna upgrade your cpu in the future then this board (b550 gaming plus) will be a good choice , what is your budget and the other components ? 

Your current motherboard isn't going to hold back the performance of the 3070 in any way so I don't see the point in upgrading unless you're also planning to change something else.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

are you or are you planning to overclock? if so the B series motherboards can not do it.

6 hours ago, Omar.B said:

@alexinho2_ I see no point from upgrading the board unless you wanna upgrade your cpu in the future then this board (b550 gaming plus) will be a good choice , what is your budget and the other components ? 

i have a ryzen 7 3700x 16gb ddr4 3200 ram, i will be upgrading from a 500w psu to a corsair rm750 psu and 

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

are you or are you planning to overclock? if so the B series motherboards can not do it.

no i am not, i am just planning on leaving it stock 

6 hours ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

Your current motherboard isn't going to hold back the performance of the 3070 in any way so I don't see the point in upgrading unless you're also planning to change something else.

not really, just the psu but i know that has nothing to do with it, i just thought i needed to since i saw my b450 would be gen 3 pcie but i’ve had other people tell me i wouldn’t need the upgrade that there isn’t a significant difference 

8 hours ago, alexinho2_ said:

some say I should be fine

It will be fine.

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

What! That is not true.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

6 hours ago, alexinho2_ said:

i have a ryzen 7 3700x 16gb ddr4 3200 ram, i will be upgrading from a 500w psu to a corsair rm750 psu and 

Yes this is a better choice to upgrade and do you have a cpu cooler?

7 hours ago, alexinho2_ said:

no i am not, i am just planning on leaving it stock 

ok, then you shouldnt have a problem upgrading from one board to another as the B450 and B550 both use the AM4 socket so there is no need to get another CPU.

7 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

What! That is not true.

it actually is. with the MSI B series motherboards you can not normally overclock the board to increase the limits on things so you can not increase them individually very much. if you are not aware, MSI does a livestream on youtube, twitch and a few other sites usually on Wed. around 11am east coast USA time (add or subtract time for your local time). come to the stream and ask them if the B series can be overclocked.

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

it actually is. with the MSI B series motherboards you can not normally overclock the board to increase the limits on things so you can not increase them individually very much. if you are not aware, MSI does a livestream on youtube, twitch and a few other sites usually on Wed. around 11am east coast USA time (add or subtract time for your local time). come to the stream and ask them if the B series can be overclocked.

I think you're confusing Intel B series boards (which generally do not support overclocking) with AMD B series boards (which do support overclocking). B450 and B550 both support overclocking.

11 hours ago, alexinho2_ said:

not really, just the psu but i know that has nothing to do with it, i just thought i needed to since i saw my b450 would be gen 3 pcie but i’ve had other people tell me i wouldn’t need the upgrade that there isn’t a significant difference 

PCIe Gen 4 has a higher theoretical bandwidth limit than PCIe Gen 3, but cards like the 3070 do not need the extra bandwidth provided by PCIe Gen 4 in order to perform to their potential as Gen 3 still has enough bandwidth to support them.

It's kind of like if you were driving a car with a maximum speed of 100 miles per hour, and you have two possible roads that you could take. One of them has a speed limit of 120 miles per hour (hell yeah!) and the other has a speed limit of 200 miles per hour. It doesn't matter which road you drive on, because your car can only go 100 miles per hour, so the fastest you will go on either road is 100 miles per hour regardless of the speed limit.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

ok, then you shouldnt have a problem upgrading from one board to another as the B450 and B550 both use the AM4 socket so there is no need to get another CPU.

My B550 mortar begs to differ. 

13 hours ago, Omar.B said:

Yes this is a better choice to upgrade and do you have a cpu cooler?

yes i do i have the cooler master ml240l cpu cooler 

9 hours ago, Satan_Prometheus said:

I think you're confusing Intel B series boards (which generally do not support overclocking) with AMD B series boards (which do support overclocking). B450 and B550 both support overclocking.

PCIe Gen 4 has a higher theoretical bandwidth limit than PCIe Gen 3, but cards like the 3070 do not need the extra bandwidth provided by PCIe Gen 4 in order to perform to their potential as Gen 3 still has enough bandwidth to support them.

It's kind of like if you were driving a car with a maximum speed of 100 miles per hour, and you have two possible roads that you could take. One of them has a speed limit of 120 miles per hour (hell yeah!) and the other has a speed limit of 200 miles per hour. It doesn't matter which road you drive on, because your car can only go 100 miles per hour, so the fastest you will go on either road is 100 miles per hour regardless of the speed limit.

ahh okok i get it. Makes sense, thanks for the analogy. 

I'd only upgrade if you plan to need PCIE4 storage. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

12 hours ago, tdkid said:

Intel B-series =/= AMD B-series.

ALL B350 / B450 / B550 chipset based motherboards support overclocking.

The only AMD chipset that does not support it is the A-series (i.e. A320, A520).

amd_2-100765738-large.jpg

AMD A520 Chipset Specs Comparison vs. B550, A320, X570, & More |  GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

The MSi B550 Gaming Plus user manual even mentions the OC menu in the BIOS....

image.png.2a3dc7730251092b865068fd719f2c0d.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Intel B-series =/= AMD B-series.

ALL B350 / B450 / B550 chipset based motherboards support overclocking.

The only AMD chipset that does not support it is the A-series (i.e. A320, A520).

amd_2-100765738-large.jpg

AMD A520 Chipset Specs Comparison vs. B550, A320, X570, & More |  GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

no i am not. for the 3 of you who answered that they do. i suggest you join in the MSI livesteam next week on youtube or twitch and ask them yourselves. and look at what you posted rascal. AMD says you will void the warrant if you overclock.

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

no i am not. 

Here is the B550 tomahawk bios. I see lots of overclocking options under the OC tab. 

MSI-Click-BIOS-Advanced-Mode.jpg

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Here is the B550 mortar bios. I see lots of overclocking options under the OC tab. 

MSI-Click-BIOS-Advanced-Mode.jpg

and i see that you have will have voided youre warranty if you have overclocked going by what rascal has posted.

Just now, tdkid said:

and i see that you have will have voided youre warranty if you have overclocked going by what rascal has posted.

Nobody is talking warranty, the issue is you said overclocking was not possible which is false. 

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Why are you bringing Intel into this? You said overclocking was not possible on b series amd boards. That is factually wrong. 

i am done explaining it.

Just now, Blue4130 said:

To be fair, you haven't explained anything. 

to be fair. i am done because i dont want this to turn into another time that i have to prove my side is right going back 20+ years and the other person goes "no its not" providing no proof what so ever or wikipedia as proof and going "my side is right because i say so". there have been too many times i have done this that i just stop doing it because its BS.

now this has  gone off topic but the people at the MSI livestream agree with me. if youy want to ask them yourself, then come watch one of their streams. its uisually on Wed. at 10-11am east coast USA time.