Upgrading my motherboard, is it necessary/beneficial?

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

to be fair. i am done because i dont want this to turn into another time that i have to prove my side is right going back 20+ years and the other person goes "no its not" providing no proof what so ever or wikipedia as proof and going "my side is right because i say so". there have been too many times i have done this that i just stop doing it because its BS.

now this has  gone off topic but the people at the MSI livestream agree with me. if youy want to ask them yourself, then come watch one of their streams. its uisually on Wed. at 10-11am east coast USA time.

Isn't the proof of multiple screen shots enough? Or the slides that say quite specifically that overclocking is possible from amd directly? I guess the only proof would be a system in front of you. But I guess you would find a way to dismiss that as well. 

13 hours ago, tdkid said:

to be fair. i am done because i dont want this to turn into another time that i have to prove my side is right going back 20+ years and the other person goes "no its not" providing no proof what so ever or wikipedia as proof and going "my side is right because i say so". there have been too many times i have done this that i just stop doing it because its BS.

now this has  gone off topic but the people at the MSI livestream agree with me. if youy want to ask them yourself, then come watch one of their streams. its uisually on Wed. at 10-11am east coast USA time.

First you said "if so the B series motherboards can not do it." which is just factually wrong in the context that the OP was discussing, which is AM4 motherboards. You then disproved your own point by linking to an article which says, and I quote, "AMD’s current B-series motherboards support overclocking in memory and CPU."

We don't need to provide any more proof because you yourself have provided a source that contradicts what you have said. 

It is true that overclocking technically voids the warranty on most products, but that was clearly not your original point since your original question to the OP was "are you or are you planning to overclock? if so the B series motherboards can not do it." So your original point was definitely not "overclocking voids the warranty, therefore you should not do it."

I get that it bruises your ego to be called out for being wrong. I've definitely been wrong before in the hardware community online and stubbornly refused to admit it because my ego was too big, so I empathize with you. But trust me, life is a lot easier if you are willing to just own up to when you are incorrect.

Ryzen 5 5600 :: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC :: MSI B550-VC :: WD SN750 :: NH-D15 :: 32GB DDR4-3200 :: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

21 hours ago, tdkid said:

no i am not. for the 3 of you who answered that they do. i suggest you join in the MSI livesteam next week on youtube or twitch and ask them yourselves. and look at what you posted rascal. AMD says you will void the warrant if you overclock.

The response in question is this:

On 4/6/2021 at 4:33 PM, tdkid said:

are you or are you planning to overclock? if so the B series motherboards can not do it.

If you look at the terms and conditions of "Overclock Capable" CPUs, from both AMD and Intel, overclocking them VOIDS the warranty.

If you enable XMP to run your memory at DDR4-3000, when the i9-11900K only supports up to DDR4-2933, you have voided the CPU's warranty.

Here is DIRECTLY from Intel's warranty FAQ page regarding to overclocking CPUs.

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html

Q): Are using Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications covered under warranty? 

Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty.  

If you read the fine-print, even enabling PBO on AMD CPUs voids the warranty.

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/understanding-precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps/ba-p/416136

Precision Boost Overdrive requires a 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper processor with AMD X399 chipset motherboard. Because Precision Boost Overdrive enables operation of the processor outside of specifications and in excess of factory settings, use of the feature invalidates the AMD product warranty and may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. GD-128

Running a Z490 or Z590 motherboard with a i9-11900K, enabling XMP, and overclocking the CPU to 5.0GHz+, in technicality, DOES void Intel's warranty.

Running a B450 / B550 / X570 motherboard with a Ryzen 3700X, enabling DOCP/A-XMP/XMP, and enabling PBO, in AMD's terms, DOES void warranty.

Overclocking is like tuning your car.

It's not a hack, it's not illegal, but if the engine blows up because of your modifications, the car manufacturer won't cover the cost of a replacement engine.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

21 hours ago, tdkid said:

this is exactly whatr i didnt want to happen.

Proof, you can overclock on B series boards for the Ryzen processors.

I did not think calling out your statement would cause this chain reaction, I just thought you were malformed on a specific function or capability of the B series motherboards for the AMD CPUs. We are here to learn, help and have fun, if you think telling others to watch and ask some people who are live streaming during a time of the day when a lot of people are at work, just to let them to know that you are right and they are wrong, then you should find a better way to do so.

We all make mistakes, and we are here to learn, it's fine. (I have a lot to learn)

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

On 4/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, MadAnt250 said:

Proof, you can overclock on B series boards for the Ryzen processors.

I did not think calling out your statement would cause this chain reaction, I just thought you were malformed on a specific function or capability of the B series motherboards for the AMD CPUs. We are here to learn, help and have fun, if you think telling others to watch and ask some people who are live streaming during a time of the day when a lot of people are at work, just to let them to know that you are right and they are wrong, then you should find a better way to do so.

We all make mistakes, and we are here to learn, it's fine. (I have a lot to learn)

well i join in the MSI insider livestream on Weds. and when they talk about motherbaords people ask about overclocking. msi says that you can not overclock the B series boards because of some reason i cant remember and than if you do, you will porobably void your warranty so best not to try unless you know what you are doing.