Do I need more case fans?

Buktu
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
2 minutes ago, Buktu said:

So I have done another hour of testing, getting the results in the image below. It seems like the airflow in my case is not exactly great since the numbers are arund 10 degrees lower without my side panel (plus less RPM on both the GPU fans and the CPU fan).
~Snipped photo~

I dont have any issues with the case fans, they are all working so I dont think the fan headers are dead. The question is just if more fans at the top would help to keep my case cooler.

The temperatures don't look too bad to be honest and are not excessively hot. That's a huge difference in temperature of a delta 10oC change. This case is a hotbox/furnace and I would rather swap it out with something like a Phanteks P400A rather than try and buy more fans to place inside the case due to the reasons I stated in my earlier post. 

Hey, I just build my kind of new (I kept the GPU and PSU since GPUs are way too expensive for me right now) PC and checked temps. They seemed a little hot for me so I wonder if I could improve with more case fans.

I am currently using

- Ryzen 5 5600x

- Arctic Freezer 34 eSport Duo
- MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB

- MSI B550-A Pro
- Sharkoon TG6 case with all 4 preinstalled fans (3 intakes in the front, 1 exhaust at the back)
(I dont think the rest makes a difference here but anyway:
- 2x16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18
- beQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W
- Samsung Evo 860 1TB)

I run Prime95 and FurMark for an hour and got the following data:

CPU:
On average 72,3 degrees (Celsius) with a maximum of 80,0 (both Tdie), while the fans were running with 1943 RPM on average with a maximum of 2037.

GPU:
On average 81 degrees with a maximum of 86 degrees (Thermal Diode), which was pretty stable for the first 40 mins, fans at 2201 on average and 2422 maximum.
The GPU VRM temperature was 81,3 on average with a maximum of 91,0.

Would one or even a few (I think there is space for 3 120mm ones or 2 140mm at the top of the case) more case fans make a difference for me? If yes which should I get? And I guess additional top fans should be exhausts as well?

Welcome to the forums!!!

Does taking the side panel off improve temperatures at all? If so, this is an indication of bad airflow into the case, even though you have 3 fans as intake with 1 fan as exhaust. From the looks of this case, airflow looks like it is limited as you have a pane of glass and a couple slots for air intake into the front fans. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

your front fans, are the inside the chassis or between the chassis and the front panel?

10 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

Does taking the side panel off improve temperatures at all? If so, this is an indication of bad airflow into the case, even though you have 3 fans as intake with 1 fan as exhaust. From the looks of this case, airflow looks like it is limited as you have a pane of glass and a couple slots for air intake into the front fans. 

I will run another test and report the results.

4 hours ago, narrdarr said:

your front fans, are the inside the chassis or between the chassis and the front panel?

They are inbetween.

15 minutes ago, Buktu said:

I will run another test and report the results.

They are inbetween.

Ok, if you have other fans besides the ones you are having issues with, just test them out to rule out the fan headers are not dead. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

So I have done another hour of testing, getting the results in the image below. It seems like the airflow in my case is not exactly great since the numbers are arund 10 degrees lower without my side panel (plus less RPM on both the GPU fans and the CPU fan).
Temps.thumb.png.a1dba9767eb4384094ddd79d2f0b12f4.png

58 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Ok, if you have other fans besides the ones you are having issues with, just test them out to rule out the fan headers are not dead. 

I dont have any issues with the case fans, they are all working so I dont think the fan headers are dead. The question is just if more fans at the top would help to keep my case cooler.

2 minutes ago, Buktu said:

~Snipped photo~

The temperatures don't look too bad to be honest and are not excessively hot. That's a huge difference in temperature of a delta 10oC change. This case is a hotbox/furnace and I would rather swap it out with something like a Phanteks P400A rather than try and buy more fans to place inside the case due to the reasons I stated in my earlier post. 

Just now, Buktu said:

Ok, thanks for the help 🙂

Anytime! 

even tho temp are ok. you could move the front fans from in between to inside.

Honestly, it does look hot to me, especially since the CPU is only getting 1.1v and barely cracking 4100. When I let AMD handle the voltage it will take up to 1.43 for boosting up to 4850.. you are no where near there. You can get much higher performance, but you would have to make serious changes to your setup.

Edit:

Also under the hardest of loads it will still try to do at least 4650 on its own.

Edit again:

I just manually set mine to 1.25v which is my FIT voltage and its fine at 4600 all the time. Your cooler, case, and fans are things I would take a hard look at. 5600X is a 65w CPU yes.. when its not doing anything.. I can get mine to draw 120w with not much effort.

Yet another edit...

My Fit is actually 1.24something but whatever.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

28 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Honestly, it does look hot to me, especially since the CPU is only getting 1.1v and barely cracking 4100. When I let AMD handle the voltage it will take up to 1.43 for boosting up to 4850.. you are no where near there. You can get much higher performance, but you would have to make serious changes to your setup.

Edit:

Also under the hardest of loads it will still try to do at least 4650 on its own.

Edit again:

I just manually set mine to 1.25v which is my FIT voltage and its fine at 4600 all the time. Your cooler, case, and fans are things I would take a hard look at. 5600X is a 65w CPU yes.. when its not doing anything.. I can get mine to draw 120w with not much effort.

Yet another edit...

yea 1.0v is definitely gimping the performance of the CPU.

47 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Edit:

Edit again:

Yet another edit...

I didn't change anything for the CPU. I guess I can change this in Ryzen Master is auto OC enough or should I set something manually?
Artic states the Freezer 34 eSports Duo is for TDPs up to 210 on the package. I guess the case is the problem here.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

even tho temp are ok. you could move the front fans from in between to inside.

I will try this tomorrow, I just found a (german) video guide how to do this.

29 minutes ago, Buktu said:

I didn't change anything for the CPU. I guess I can change this in Ryzen Master is auto OC enough or should I set something manually?
Artic states the Freezer 34 eSports Duo is for TDPs up to 210 on the package. I guess the case is the problem here.

I will try this tomorrow, I just found a (german) video guide how to do this.

to make thing simple.  I would delete ryzen master so it's not overriding any settings set in bios. then config everything in the bios. 

personally if your not sure why or what setting is gimping voltage. I'd just reset bios to its optimal default. then reenble xmp and readjust any fan curves you had set if any.

moving the fan to the inside should allow for the fan to pull air from the sides on the front panel. it's not going to be as good as getting an airflow focus case like the p400a mentioned above, but it should be way better.

I would have to agree with your conclusion, case factors. I'm sure your cooler is fine. Maybe check the paste if you haven't already..

I dont OC in windows, so I have not really used RM at all. but as noted, clear your CMOS, set your memory speed and let er rip.. with the side panel off 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I put the fans inside and played some AC Valhalla (around 2 hours). It seems like the CPU gets more voltage ingame than in the stress test, I messed up the screen a litte bit this time but the CPU core voltage was around 1,3 volts. Around 65 avarage degree on the CPU with a maximum of 72,3 now.

I will try to set everything in Bios then.

Temps AC Vallhalla 2h.png