Need help moving Windows 10 and other programs onto SSD

Hey all, I finally received my first ever SSD and was planning to move Windows 10 and a few other programs into it.  Someone on YT suggested MiniTool. Is this safe? I ask because my parents once sent an older PC for repair and the person corrupted over 100 pictures due to the cloning software they used. I did read that another option is a clean windows install. Is that ultimately better? 

Another question is, what program besides the OS would be a good idea to move to a SSD? It's only 500GB so will probably not move my kids' steam library. But video editing software should go to the SSD, right? Where else would it make a difference?

Sorry for the obvious questions, this is the first time I own a SSD LoL 

1 minute ago, DCCFan said:

Someone on YT suggested MiniTool. Is this safe?

MiniTool Partition Wizard is generally a reputable well-known program.

Do keep in mind it's not free to clone a drive in the latest versions of the program.

I've used Macrium Reflect in the past, but I've heard of reports it is not free to use anymore.

2 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

I did read that another option is a clean windows install. Is that ultimately better? 

Cloning seems to be a bit of a hit-and-miss situation, where sometimes it just work out well. Your mileage may vary with cloning.

A clean install will always work great, there is some more effort that goes into it of course, which is the reason many people go for a clone.

I would recommend a clean install of Windows.

4 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Another question is, what program besides the OS would be a good idea to move to a SSD?

My general rule of thumb is that any program that takes long to open and/or is opened (very) frequently should be on an SSD.

So other than Windows and your browser of choice, you might want to consider having your video editing program on it (because it takes long to open), a frequently played single-player* game with a long loading time (Skyrim, GTA V, etc.) and there are other examples of programs you want on there (like a photo editing program, which can often also take a bit longer to open).

* the reason I mention single-player games is that with multi-player games you're generally waiting for others to load into the game too, so there won't be much of an advantage to having the game on an SSD.

It does kind of depend on the game though, some singe-player games won't seen an improvement on an SSD.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, minibois said:

MiniTool Partition Wizard is generally a reputable well-known program.

Do keep in mind it's not free to clone a drive in the latest versions of the program.

I've used Macrium Reflect in the past, but I've heard of reports it is not free to use anymore.

Cloning seems to be a bit of a hit-and-miss situation, where sometimes it just work out well. Your mileage may vary with cloning.

A clean install will always work great, there is some more effort that goes into it of course, which is the reason many people go for a clone.

I would recommend a clean install of Windows.

My general rule of thumb is that any program that takes long to open and/or is opened (very) frequently should be on an SSD.

So other than Windows and your browser of choice, you might want to consider having your video editing program on it (because it takes long to open), a frequently played single-player* game with a long loading time (Skyrim, GTA V, etc.) and there are other examples of programs you want on there (like a photo editing program, which can often also take a bit longer to open).

* the reason I mention single-player games is that with multi-player games you're generally waiting for others to load into the game too, so there won't be much of an advantage to having the game on an SSD.

It does kind of depend on the game though, some singe-player games won't seen an improvement on an SSD.

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! 🙂

Will probably do a clean windows install. I'm thinking I'll also load Minecraft to the SSD as my kids sometimes play by themselves (will have to move all maps or else all hell will break loose LoL) and the editing software.